Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

horrible; corpses left to rot; we've learned little since the bison genocide...
I'm not up on this particular situation but culling can be an effective way of protecting the environment - e.g. cane toads, camels in Australia, small mammals on islands

Like micronutrients, fibre content and a whole lot of other things.

I posted a study on here about how cheese had significantly better health outcomes than an exact analogue in terms of macronutrient profile, made from milk and milk derivatives (powdered skimmed milk and butter).

What are the 'health outcomes' of an uninhabitable planet?

Is this going to be a bit like "plants don't need nutrients to grow because.... dinosaurs" again? :D

The claim you made was that all plants need artificial fertliser which was, and remains, bullshit. Pun intended.

What are the 'health outcomes' of an uninhabitable planet?

The claim you made was that all plants need artificial fertliser which was, and remains, bullshit. Pun intended.
No I didn't - there was a specific discussion around manure

Just stop before you make up anymore insane bollocks. :facepalm: :D

It's one of the key questions here wrt farming systems. Does an area's farming system build healthy soils or not? If not, then something is wrong with the system. I see various ideas for pollution/environment degradation taxes being levied on certain products, but those ideas ignore the systems the products are made in. If you're going to tax environmental harm, a better place to start would be to look at soils.

I'm not sure it makes sense to say that it has a usual direction. One direction is called the 'reverse Krebs cycle' but the choice to call this one reverse and not the other one is arbitrary.
It's almost like I didn't put usual in quotation marks.
My question was more what does it have to do with photosynthesis? Is the carbon dioxide not just produced by aerobic respiration while the lack of sunlight holds up photosynthesis? Why is a reverse krebs needed here?

It's almost like I didn't put usual in quotation marks.
My question was more what does it have to do with photosynthesis? Is the carbon dioxide not just produced by aerobic respiration while the lack of sunlight holds up photosynthesis? Why is a reverse krebs needed here?
We used to refer to it as photosynthetic inversion because the net product was co2 and not 02

Regarding the Cambridge vegan thing - tbf as long as consideration has been given to those with specific needs (food allergies, ARFID and the like, who should have already been given consideration), I can’t see the problem with the campus making that choice. It’s not like meat eaters can’t eat vegan foods, or can’t purchase meat off site. It actually makes it better for veggies or vegans with food allergies/intolerances, as when there’s often only one or two options they tend to include common allergens, eg soya.

I think this is something that needs to change - the idea that if you sometimes eat meat, your meals MUST contain it. There are many meat eaters who are happy to eat delicious veggie food, and the ones who always refuse make me feel a bit :hmm:

There are veggie festivals after all. You’re welcome to bring your own meat in but all food purchasable there is veggie or completely plant based.

Of course a massive food boost for carrion eaters, coyotes etc No doubt local wildlife will take advantage of a windfall.
I actually thought of this. However, these creatures are well able to capture their own food. There is no need for an horrendous, cruel aerial assault on innocent wild cows that are only minimally impacting their surroundings.

I actually thought of this. However, these creatures are well able to capture their own food. There is no need for an horrendous, cruel aerial assault on innocent wild cows that are only minimally impacting their surroundings.
Sometimes animals need to be culled, particularly where their presence is in some way due to human intervention in the environment, whether intentional or accidental, which is the case here.

Which part of the authorities' argument do you disagree with? Their stated opinion is that the cows are significantly impacting their surroundings.

Regarding the Cambridge vegan thing - tbf as long as consideration has been given to those with specific needs (food allergies, ARFID and the like, who should have already been given consideration), I can’t see the problem with the campus making that choice. It’s not like meat eaters can’t eat vegan foods, or can’t purchase meat off site. It actually makes it better for veggies or vegans with food allergies/intolerances, as when there’s often only one or two options they tend to include common allergens, eg soya.

I think this is something that needs to change - the idea that if you sometimes eat meat, your meals MUST contain it. There are many meat eaters who are happy to eat delicious veggie food, and the ones who always refuse make me feel a bit :hmm:

There are veggie festivals after all. You’re welcome to bring your own meat in but all food purchasable there is veggie or completely plant based.
Should have seen the fun when Forest Green Rovers went vegan at the ground. Outraged away fans announcing they'd smuggle in bacon etc as two hours with only tvp available was a human rights violation.

150 free-roaming cows:

Humans: "oh noez! Quick massacre them all from the sky!!!1!!"

Breeding 1.5 billion cattle a year to exploit and exterminate:

Humans: 'fricking awesome dude - Steak!'

What a cancerous species.

This post is not an invitation to dialogue, just a cry of despair into the void.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

150 free-roaming cows:

Humans: "oh noez! Quick massacre them all from the sky!!!1!!"

Breeding 1.5 billion cattle a year to exploit and exterminate:

Humans: 'fricking awesome dude - Steak!'

What a cancerous species.

This post is not an invitation to dialogue, just a cry of despair into the void.

Have a nice weekend everyone.
Weekend thread

Sometimes animals need to be culled, particularly where their presence is in some way due to human intervention in the environment, whether intentional or accidental, which is the case here.

Which part of the authorities' argument do you disagree with? Their stated opinion is that the cows are significantly impacting their surroundings.
Humans caused this "problem" . The human response should NOT be helicopter gunship assault and genocide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom