Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's it matter what it's called? The fact is that plants give off CO2 overnight.

Nah, come on - its a conspiracy :D

Edit, also, plants a respiring all the time not just at night, so it's not a particularly useful term when you are managing bodies of water.
It does matter when I actually want to understand what is being talked about and people are throwing around terms like reverse photosynthesis or reverse Krebs cycle one of which isn't a thing and the other's relevance has not been clarified.

Regarding the Cambridge vegan thing - tbf as long as consideration has been given to those with specific needs (food allergies, ARFID and the like, who should have already been given consideration), I can’t see the problem with the campus making that choice. It’s not like meat eaters can’t eat vegan foods, or can’t purchase meat off site. It actually makes it better for veggies or vegans with food allergies/intolerances, as when there’s often only one or two options they tend to include common allergens, eg soya.

I think this is something that needs to change - the idea that if you sometimes eat meat, your meals MUST contain it. There are many meat eaters who are happy to eat delicious veggie food, and the ones who always refuse make me feel a bit :hmm:

There are veggie festivals after all. You’re welcome to bring your own meat in but all food purchasable there is veggie or completely plant based.
Exactly.

Humans caused this "problem" . The human response should NOT be helicopter gunship assault and genocide
From reading the article you linked to, they are effectively an invasive species in the area. You haven't provided an answer as to how to deal with such situations.

From reading the article you linked to, they are effectively an invasive species in the area. You haven't provided an answer as to how to deal with such situations.
I don't believe the problem could possibly be anywhere near as bad as described in the article. In fact, I don't believe the animals pose any real threat to humans at all. Certainly not a grave enough threat to warrant unleashing a squadron of Apache armored gunship helicopters on a mission of genocide...

I don't believe the problem could possibly be anywhere near as bad as described in the article. In fact, I don't believe the animals pose any real threat to humans at all. Certainly not a grave enough threat to warrant unleashing a squadron of Apache armored gunship helicopters on a mission of genocide...
I'm also sceptical about their threat to humans. But what about all the other reasons they give?

I'm also sceptical about their threat to humans. But what about all the other reasons they give?

The only other threat I see mentioned in the article is "Cattle Ruin the Land" How so? By treading near creeks &b streams and leaving footprints? Bullshit, no pun intended...
This is an excuse for a group of cowboy wannabees and weekend warrior reservists to get a chopper ride & shoot up a herd of innocent, defenseless beasts.
Bullets from drunk "sharpshooters" and emissions from thousands of gallons of wasted JP5 jet fuel are far more lethal threat to the scarce human population in the area than these animals could ever pose..

The only other threat I see mentioned in the article is "Cattle Ruin the Land" How so? By treading near creeks &b streams and leaving footprints? Bullshit, no pun intended...
This is an excuse for a group of cowboy wannabees and weekend warrior reservists to get a chopper ride & shoot up a herd of innocent, defenseless beasts.
Bullets from drunk "sharpshooters" and emissions from thousands of gallons of wasted JP5 jet fuel are far more lethal threat to the scarce human population in the area than these animals could ever pose..
The cull is supported by the Center for Biological Diversity. I'm not sure this is quite as you characterise it here.

“We can expect immediate results," said Todd Schulke, co-founder of the Center for Biological Diversity. "Clean water, a healthy river and restored wildlife habitat."

For me, the evidential bar that needs to be cleared before ordering a cull should be pretty high. There needs to be compelling evidence of the need for the cull. But sometimes culls are needed. As I said, invariably due to human-made problems, but that doesn't necessarily change the need for one. And I'm not sure how else you would kill a bunch of cows ranging freely through woods. Is there a better way than shooting them from the air?

Of course the best way would have involved not letting them in there in the first place. But that ship has sailed.

It does matter when I actually want to understand what is being talked about and people are throwing around terms like reverse photosynthesis or reverse Krebs cycle one of which isn't a thing and the other's relevance has not been clarified.
All it means in the context in which it was originally being discussed is that plants give off o2 in the day and co2 at night.

It was part of a discussion on eutrophication.
Ergo, fish can find it challenging at night in terms of available dissolved o2 levels, especially in still or slow moving bodies of water.

All it means in the context in which it was originally being discussed is that plants give off o2 in the day and co2 at night.

It was part of a discussion on eutrophication.
Ergo, fish can find it challenging at night in terms of available dissolved o2 levels, especially in still or slow moving bodies of water.
I understand that. I don't know where the reverse Krebs cycle mentioned by littlebabyjesus fits in.

I understand that. I don't know where the reverse Krebs cycle mentioned by littlebabyjesus fits in.
I was probably getting confused about what was being said. If what was being said was that both photosynthesis and respiration happen at the same time in plants, then I thought something more than that was being said, and was merely pointing out that these reaction cascades can often go in either direction. It's not so fanciful.

Turns out (I didn't know this before just now) that a process that is more accurately described as reverse photosynthesis does happen.

“We call it ‘reverse photosynthesis’ because the enzymes use oxygen from the atmosphere and sunlight to break down and transform plant carbon bonds, instead of creating them and producing oxygen--which is what we typically understand with photosynthesis,”

Appears that this requires energy, though, rather than releasing it.

Scientists discover ‘reverse photosynthesis’

Meanwhile, the science continues:

https://www.agronomy.org/news/science-news/understanding-climate-effects-grazing-agriculture/

“An important finding was that soil organisms absorbed methane from the atmosphere at all sites, with the native sites absorbing more methane than the non-native site,” Steiner says.

Cattle also give off methane as they digest grass, so it’s helpful that grasslands can absorb some of that methane back into the soil. Future research will have to study how the huge tracts of grasslands can offset the methane from grazing animals.

This is important because when studying methane produced by ruminants, it’s done in a closed environment, in a shed or with a "bag" over their muzzle, so no account is taken of what’s absorbed by soil microbes, it’s just seen as a straight forward emission.

I was probably getting confused about what was being said. If what was being said was that both photosynthesis and respiration happen at the same time in plants, then I thought something more than that was being said, and was merely pointing out that these reaction cascades can often go in either direction. It's not so fanciful.

Turns out (I didn't know this before just now) that a process that is more accurately described as reverse photosynthesis does happen.

Appears that this requires energy, though, rather than releasing it.

Scientists discover ‘reverse photosynthesis’
Cheers. Confusion breeds confusion. I'm only vaguely familiar with reverse Krebs and thought it was mainly in bacteria.

Link was interesting.

If you are actually interested in the subject, as opposed to rubbing one off on it, you might want to sign up for:

New study, which according to the authors' knowledge "is the most extensive review ever performed on plant-based diets and sustainability."

It concludes:

Our review demonstrates the potential benefits of a more plant-based diet for both human and environmental health and outlines areas for further work, including specific environmental concerns where there are sufficient data for more detailed analyses. Based on the studies reviewed, the beneficial relationship between plant-based diets and environmental sustainability is in accordance with the conclusions of the Eat-Lancet Report. The studies demonstrate that high consumption of animal-based foods was associated with a greater impact on the environment, whereas high consumption of plant-based foods was associated with a low impact. Apart from water and energy use, environmental parameters of different plant-based dietary patterns were consistent, despite varied components of environmental impact assessed. Substantial evidence suggests that plant-based diets may offer reduced GHGE, land use, and biodiversity loss; however, the impact on water and energy use may depend more on the types of plant-based foods consumed. Further, the literature supports a relationship between sustainability indicators and health outcomes such that with increased environmental impacts, diet-related mortality increases. Overall, the evidence reviewed supports recommendations to transition to plant-based diets to curb the environmental impact of current human feeding practices that will also have benefits for human health.

The study finds clear cut evidence that plant-based diets reduce greenhouse gas emissions, land use and biodiversity loss. The evidence on water and energy use isn't as clear cut. However the review found that '100% of longitudinal and 80% of cross-sectional studies are consistent in that the vegetarian and Mediterranean patterns are associated with low water impacts' and that 'According to longitudinal studies, vegetarian and vegan diets perform better in terms of
energy use than an omnivorous diet, and a vegan diet may be more optimal than the vegetarian'.

You'd never guess from that study that more than 80% of GHGE are the result of activities other than agriculture, forestry and land use, mainly the burning of fossil fuels for energy, transport, etc. Not a single mention of it.

If current dietary practices continue, diet-related diseases will account for three-quarters of the global burden of disease and global temperatures will rise >1.5 C associated with greenhouse gas emissions (GHGEs)

That's actually a false statement by implication. If current dietary practices were changed dramatically tomorrow, global temperatures would still rise >1.5 C due to all the other human activity causing global warming.

You'd never guess from that study that more than 80% of GHGE are the result of activities other than agriculture, forestry and land use, mainly the burning of fossil fuels for energy, transport, etc. Not a single mention of it.

Er, because it's about diets? Great whataboutism there. And greenhouse gases aren't the only way to harm the environment.

Of course it's whataboutism. If you bring up the subject of climate change in relation to changes in global diets, you need to set what those changes can achieve in context. Square root of fuck all if other, much more important changes aren't also made. It's a big omission, which leads to a very misleading statement being made.

Of course it's whataboutism. If you bring up the subject of climate change in relation to changes in global diets, you need to set what those changes can achieve in context. Square root of fuck all if other, much more important changes aren't also made. It's a big omission, which leads to a very misleading statement being made.

I'm glad we agree it's whataboutism. Why not comment on burning fossil fuels on one of the countless other threads in this sub-forum rather than using it as distraction on this one? In related shocking news, reducing dependence on fossil fuels and animal products are not mutually exclusive goals.

But also, a lot of those studies include emissions from the supply chain, which is baffling as they can vary considerably in fuel use etc. No idea how you can standardise that. These are some of the same studies that have been discussed before.

Also, its a scoping literature review which identifies themes for further analysis.

It also seems to use mathematical modeling only and once more, doesn't discuss sequestration or the fact that the enteric methane cycle is a natural one and has been around as long as ruminants have existed.

Last edited:
Last September Advances in Nutrition - the second highest ranking journal on nutrition and dietetics - published a scoping review of the environmental impacts and nutrient composition of plant-based milks. In line with everything that's been published on the topic it concluded that 'plant-based milks were found to primarily have low GHGEs, land use, and water consumption in comparison to dairy milk, although almond milk had a very high range of water consumption values'. Within plant-milks each was found to have comparative environmental benefits and disadvantages. The lowest reported land use and water consumption was from soy milk.

On nutrition, the study found that plant-milks all lacked some of the nutrients found in dairy. Soy milk was closest nutritionally, because of it's similar protein content. There were, however some nutritional advantages of plant-based milks as well. Unlike dairy milk they contain fibre and (with the exception of coconut milk) contain almost no saturated fat. The sugar-free varieties of plant-milks also have that advantage over dairy milk. Many are fortified with similar levels of calcium and b12 already (e.g. alpro). The study notes that all of the nutrients found in dairy can be achieved in plant-milks through supplementation.

After reading the study I remain happy that my home plant-milk of choice is soy - with oat as my preference when having coffee out. I hope that plant-based milk products continue to develop their fortification to ensure that consumers who want to avoid the barbaric cruelty of the dairy industry can do so in a nutritionally optimal way (they can do already with a little planning).

The American Society for Nutrition (ASN) is an American society for professional researchers and practitioners in the field of nutrition. ASN publishes four journals in the field of nutrition.[1] It has been criticized for its financial ties to the food and beverage industry.[2][3]

what a surprise
Yeah, not surprising at all. Doesn't mean everything they publish is useless, but it is an illustration of how 'IT'S PEER REVIEWED SCIENCE' isn't quite the gold standard that some people seem to think it is. It's not a way to win an argument. To win an argument you need to engage with the material directly. The field of drug research is the starkest example of this - fewer than 50% of peer-reviewed studies are successfully replicated. It's a total scandal that doesn't get enough airtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom