Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s a lot on the list. Knowing whether or not I would (or should) truly eat elephant or not isn’t really top of the priorities, to be honest.

It gets at a much deeper issue though - who matters and why. The consequences of getting that wrong are pretty profound.

It has about as much depth as endless annoying questions to you about the hierarchy of field dwelling animals that die due to harvesting crops etc etc. Extremely boring “gotchas” from the unimaginative.

Absolute answers are sometimes not available. For humans to live on the planet in our current numbers, a lot of other intelligent animals either need to die or never to have lived. There are ethical compromises and fudges all over the place in that. The only way for there not to be is some form of misanthropy that sees humans as the problem. I think that kind of self-hating misanthropy is much easier to get in line and straighten out logically than a position that seeks to allow humans to survive and thrive while not destroying everything. But where does it get you?

It has about as much depth as endless annoying questions to you about the hierarchy of field dwelling animals that die due to harvesting crops etc etc. Extremely boring “gotchas” from the unimaginative.

I don’t find those questions annoying, I find them very interesting. I’ve just answered them before and don’t have anything else to add.

It is possible to work on our disgust responses. But you can't just intellectualise them away instantly.

My disgust responses to food generally are relatively low, much lower than most British people. But probably higher than most people in some other cultures.
Jellied eels, animal seaman and tofu for me. Everything else could be on the menu based on the context at the time.

It’s delicious. Dust it in seasoned flour, sauté in butter and serve on toast. Supermarkets do it in tins. You’ll find it with the canned fish.
In Shropshire and the Midlands they fry it in batter in the chippy. The Mrs is a spunk cake enthusiast being from those parts.

I care more about how the animal lived and died than what it is, per se.

I don't fancy eating carnivores just because of how toxins build up food chains (they may well have been eating rats that were poisoned etc), also they stink, generally speaking. My ex neighbour (poacher turned 'keeper), grew up very poor says his dad used to make badger hams and they stank, and he occasionally went hungry rather than eat it. I have also been poor in the countryside and have eaten all kinds of plants, fungi and animals. We don't have monkeys here, so I've never concerned myself with whether or not I'd eat one.

That particular neighbour was very good for leaving me random creatures in my shed, shot without our landlords permission, think he both liked helping out a neighbour with a young family and nicking stuff off the landed.

Dorset-based former beef and dairy farmer sends all of his animals to a sanctuary and establishes a biocyclic, organic vegan farm with no inputs of animal origin:
Mr Candy said: “It is sad when you rear animals up and have to send them off to a slaughterhouse two years later, you have to question it.

“Farmers run businesses, but at the end of the day, we are human beings. I remember I had some beef animals to sell, but I couldn’t do it; this was probably the first time I had to fight with my conscience.”

Animals serve more uses on a farm than simply being used for livestock, such as fertilising fields, so operating a farm without them entirely poses unique challenges, but after extensive research Mr Candy says he was convinced it was possible.

Mr Candy added: “Many in the farming community believe you need animals to regenerate the soil, but I want to demonstrate you can farm sustainably without animals.

Fantastic news

Lidl has announced plans to sell fewer meat products in a company-wide push for sustainability.

Vegan alternatives are expected to slowly replace animal-based products on the German budget retailer’s shelves. This is in line with Lidl’s commitment to vastly increase its plant-based range through 2025 and beyond.

The motivation to make the switch towards alternative protein comes from an environmental standpoint. Specifically, Lidl identifies the need for food security for the increasing global population.

Yet another study with the same conclusion: eat less meat for the sake of the planet

A future of food consumption that benefits both humans and the environment should be flexible and involve an emphasis on whole, plant-based foods combined with a reduced consumption of meat and processed food. These behavioral changes can be supported by increasing the availability and accessibility of detailed food-life-cycle assessments.

Dorset-based former beef and dairy farmer sends all of his animals to a sanctuary and establishes a biocyclic, organic vegan farm with no inputs of animal origin:

Hopefully not just going to replace shit with fossil fuel based fertilisers. Good luck to him.

I doubt consumers are buying more meat.
You've not read it have you?

Cost of living crisis means meat sales down 3.2%, meat substitutes down 12.9%.

Why anyone would want to replace unprocessed meat with ultra-processed synthetic meat, especially with the evidence building that highly processed foods are really bad for people is beyond me.

Plenty of vegans won't eat it either.

You've not read it have you?

Cost of living crisis means meat sales down 3.2%, meat substitutes down 12.9%.

Why anyone would want to replace unprocessed meat with ultra-processed synthetic meat, especially with the evidence building that highly processed foods are really bad for people is beyond me.

Plenty of vegans won't eat it either.
Both are too expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom