Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to say i'm getting a bit suspicious of supermarket chicken. Portions are so small that I'm questioning the helath of the bird. What my local butcher, whom I can't afford, sells is markedly better quality.

Have to say i'm getting a bit suspicious of supermarket chicken. Portions are so small that I'm questioning the helath of the bird. What my local butcher, whom I can't afford, sells is markedly better quality.
Largeness of portion isn't necessarily an indicator of health. Fast-growing, big-breasted broilers are often not the healthiest of birds.

Whole birds will vary very little around 2kg (even when graded into sizes). Smalls/larges often go into cutting for portions.

There's a whole market for small, whole birds (Nandos, rotisserie).

So the researcher behind that work had this to say in the article linked below.

Measured by cumulative pressures, the top five offenders are pig, cow, rice, wheat and oil crops.

In order to feed a growing and increasingly wealthy global population while reducing environmental degradation and enhancing food security, major shifts will need to be made to current food systems, according to the researchers. In some cases, farming might need to improve efficiency; in other cases, consumers might need to change their food choices.

“We need this comprehensive information to make more accurate decisions about what we eat,” said Halpern, who modified his own food choices based on the results of this study.

“I became a pescatarian years ago because of wanting to reduce the environmental footprint of what I eat,” he said. “But then I thought, I’m a scientist, I should really use science to inform my decisions about what I eat. That’s actually why I started this research project. And now that we have the results, I see that from an environmental perspective, chicken is actually better than some seafood. And so I’ve shifted my diet to start including chicken again, while eliminating some high-pressure seafoods like bottom-trawl caught cod and haddock. I am actually eating my words.”

Shame rice has the prestige it has now, millet was always the staple of the Chinese cultural core and is much healthier and hardier.

Interesting study. It addresses many of the shortcomings of Poore and Nemecek (2018), specifically by tackling global variation and speaking of systems.

While it does speak of systems, it doesn't have much to say about mixed farming, though, which I would have been interested to hear.

It's interesting, but again not really the whole picture, which is what happens when you go to great effort to generalise.

I'd rather eat rotationally grazed beef, for example than that reared on concrete. Even then, how is that farm dealing with compaction (which can increase no2 emissions)...

There's so many moving parts.

Not a dig at anything really, just trying to illustrate the complexity that systems and geography add to the mix, even at the micro level.
What's a really environmentally sound farming practice in one place, might not work so well in another.

Ruminants, for example, often take stuff we can't consume (grass) and turn it into meat and milk. Pig and poultry currently exist on high cereal diets in most places.

Tbf the author does admit as much. They don't claim to have all the answers, but rather suggest that exploring the causes of global (and local) variation in impact is the way to find the best systems for each place.

I looked up all their references to Poore and Nemecek (ref no. 14). There are a few. Many of them are to say why this study is better. ;)

Sat on a coach right now. Nothing better to do. :D

So the researcher behind that work had this to say in the article linked below.

Measured by cumulative pressures, the top five offenders are pig, cow, rice, wheat and oil crops.

In order to feed a growing and increasingly wealthy global population while reducing environmental degradation and enhancing food security, major shifts will need to be made to current food systems, according to the researchers. In some cases, farming might need to improve efficiency; in other cases, consumers might need to change their food choices.

“We need this comprehensive information to make more accurate decisions about what we eat,” said Halpern, who modified his own food choices based on the results of this study.

“I became a pescatarian years ago because of wanting to reduce the environmental footprint of what I eat,” he said. “But then I thought, I’m a scientist, I should really use science to inform my decisions about what I eat. That’s actually why I started this research project. And now that we have the results, I see that from an environmental perspective, chicken is actually better than some seafood. And so I’ve shifted my diet to start including chicken again, while eliminating some high-pressure seafoods like bottom-trawl caught cod and haddock. I am actually eating my words.”

So they're eating loads less meat overall and given up on beef and pork altogether? Fantastic.

Oh for fuck's sake. He's a fucking grifter and you've been suckered by him like a mug. What's his medical qualifications? Did you check or just blindly regurgitate his pro-meat propaganda?

And are you going to buy the t-shirt, book a consultation and sign up to his courses. too? All yours for lots of $$$$$.

And here comes the anti vaxx bullshit:

Yes, that Aseem Malhotra.

:facepalm:

Last edited:
These filthy cruel fuckers should be forced to clean up their shit.

Avara Foods, a leading supplier of chicken to Tesco, is being urged by campaigners to pay reparations to help clean up the River Wye.

The Wye, a river running from mid-Wales to the Severn estuary, has been affected by increasing algal blooms. These are partly caused by poultry farms spreading more manure than the land can absorb, say scientists, leading to excess phosphorus leaching into waterways.

Avara Foods is responsible for more than 16 million of the 20 million chickens reared in the Wye catchment, which has seen a surge in chicken numbers over the past two decades.

Scientists have recommended reducing overall bird numbers in the region, but Avara said this was not on its agenda.

“There’s a continued demand for meat. There is no signal out there that says stop and cut back. We’re serving the consumer. If we didn’t produce [chicken meat] here, it would be imported,” Avara’s agricultural director John Reed said.
Mmm, what a lovely looking 'farm':

5272.jpg

And look how many factory farms there are.

1675425839357.png

These filthy cruel fuckers should be forced to clean up their shit.

Mmm, what a lovely looking 'farm':

5272.jpg

And look how many factory farms there are.

View attachment 361811

Yup. Unfortunately this is just one of the problems on the Wye but certainly one having the most impact. I've been a member of the Wye and Usk foundation for about 10 years now and also involved in my local river The Alyn.

If you're interested in what's going on on the Wye it's worth having a look at their site. It's a beautiful river in some of the best countryside in the UK.

Yup. Unfortunately this is just one of the problems on the Wye but certainly one having the most impact. I've been a member of the Wye and Usk foundation for about 10 years now and also involved in my local river The Alyn.

If you're interested in what's going on on the Wye it's worth having a look at their site. It's a beautiful river in some of the best countryside in the UK.

I literally posted an Environment Agency report about pollution in the Wye earlier on this thread that suggests that poultry units are responsible for very little of it.

Don't suppose it was read, mind.

Here's the report.

The co factors responsible are change in land use from permanent pasture to cropping (tons of maize grown round here to feed AD plants) and chicken units. The chicken units supply muck which is spread, which then leaches into rivers.

If you've ever been on a chicken unit, you'd note that these are sheds on concrete. They don't let rain in (naturally), they don't hold muck for any length of time.

Muck is sold as fertiliser. It is then spread.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...wQFnoECA4QAQ&usg=AOvVaw0L57_w25yLrFLikUKZuvbj

I used to live quite close to the Wye when I was a kid. There's some beautiful countryside all around (apart from these vile chicken farms of course).

I literally posted an Environment Agency report about pollution in the Wye earlier on this thread that suggests that poultry units are responsible for very little of it.

Don't suppose it was read, mind.
I'm pretty sure agricultural run off is having an effect on a lot of trout and salmon rivers. Its been making an impact on the water purity and entomology for years. Of course the impact of climate change is also having a big impact on rivers like the Wye and indeed my own local gem. Our river is one of the few alkaline rivers in North Wales hence the abundance of wild trout in a previously industrial landscape.

There is of course the blatantly obvious problem of human shit run off too but the land run off is certainly a contributing factor.

You might find this interesting as it unfolds.

I'd be interested to hear more of your thoughts on what you think is going on with fresh water rivers if that's an area you have some insight in FM.

I've always been interested in our natural fish stocks. When you fish for the pan its as important as knowing where your meat comes from.

I'm pretty sure agricultural run off is having an effect on a lot of trout and salmon rivers. Its been making an impact on the water purity and entomology for years. Of course the impact of climate change is also having a big impact on rivers like the Wye and indeed my own local gem. Our river is one of the few alkaline rivers in North Wales hence the abundance of wild trout in a previously industrial landscape.

There is of course the blatantly obvious problem of human shit run off too but the land run off is certainly a contributing factor.

You might find this interesting as it unfolds.

I'd be interested to hear more of your thoughts on what you think is going on with fresh water rivers if that's an area you have some insight in FM.

I've always been interested in our natural fish stocks. When you fish for the pan its as important as knowing where your meat comes from.
I live there now - between Ledbury and Hereford.

All along the route to Hereford, which intersects with the Wye catchment, lots if permanent pasture and orchards have gone and are being put into maize for the big AD plant just outside Hereford. Maize is very hungry, and certainly the chicken units nearby will be benefiting from supplying the growers with fertiliser. Maize takes a long time to ripen in the UK and its often a messy business harvesting it as its often stated to rain by then, which is presumably where the runoff is coming from.

Environment Agency warns maize harvesting can result in run-off and pollution

I live there now - between Ledbury and Hereford.

All along the route to Hereford, which intersects with the Wye catchment, lots if permanent pasture and orchards have gone and are being put into maize for the big AD plant just outside Hereford. Maize is very hungry, and certainly the chicken units nearby will be benefiting from supplying the growers with fertiliser. Maize takes a long time to ripen in the UK and its often a messy business harvesting it as its often stated to rain by then, which is presumably where the runoff is coming from.

Environment Agency warns maize harvesting can result in run-off and pollution
Nice neck of the woods. I've been a couple if times.

Surely that's the problem though isn't it. The chicken shit gets spread on the ground and disolves through the soil and ends up in the river as run off. Its the ferts that have been causing the problems with exessive nutrient levels and pollution. It's not just the soil but what's in it.

Good example of the interlinking of systems that isn't captured by studies that separate out single items.

The pollution is caused by a system that involves chickens, maize and electricity generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom