Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing that just ain't going to happen. It's possible we might stop eating animals (or much fewer) if we are able to grow meat in factories from cloned animal tissue. It's only doable in a lab at the moment but I can certainly see it being done on a large enough scale by perhaps the middle of this century. I suspect meat eating will continue to rise in the short term as the developing world economies catch up with the developed ones.
But the belief that there is going to a sudden huge surge to being herbivorous is up there with degrowth and giving up the private cars as things that are just not going to happen ever for whatever reason.

Another thing that just ain't going to happen. It's possible we might stop eating animals (or much fewer) if we are able to grow meat in factories from cloned animal tissue. It's only doable in a lab at the moment but I can certainly see it being done on a large enough scale by perhaps the middle of this century. I suspect meat eating will continue to rise in the short term as the developing world economies catch up with the developed ones.
But the belief that there is going to a sudden huge surge to being herbivorous is up there with degrowth and giving up the private cars as things that are just not going to happen ever for whatever reason.

The degrowth and the moving away from cars are likely to happen first (if at all) imo.

The degrowth and the moving away from cars are likely to happen first (if at all) imo.
Economic degrowth is not happening ever, the world's resources are far too unfairly shared, those who have ain't giving them up, those who have not aren't going to accept that but can't do anything about it. Only two ways that will shake down, either growth continues and more resources are created or the haves kill off enough of the have nots to eliminate the problem anyway.
As for private car ownership that currently stands at 81% in this country so I reckon we're probably at or near peak car ownership. EV's are likely to be a greater proportion of average income than ICE vehicles so I suspect 2030's onwards the number of cars in private hands will fall. how far down that is I don't know, it will be interesting to see how autonomous vehicles affect this (assuming I live long enough)

I expect eating meat from reared animals will become a lot rarer whenever someone develops a commercially successful way of just growing the flesh instead. A development I would welcome even if animal husbandry wasn't contributing significantly to climate change. Until then, pressure on arable land will make it more expensive, even with subsidies and other cost externalisations.

So meat might become more of a luxury for me. I don't see there's much I can do about that, apart from experiment with making smoked tofu taste more interesting, because I'm certainly not going to be tucking into insects as long as there's anything else that's remotely edible in this world.

Get used to lab meat.
The countryside will be a nicer place for it, and the abattoirs nicer still
It will just go underground with poaching and illegal animal rearing and of course there won't be any checks on the welfare of the animals or oversight of the slaughter because you won't know where it's happening. :(

It'd happen tomorrow if the price of meat went up 10 times - the way things are going, it seems like it might happen in that fashion but along a longer timescale.

I voted for
Don’t believe the hype - meat will be available forever, nothing much will change

Not because I think we shouldn't reduce meat consumption and not even because I think we won't.
I just think that we will probably have some form of meat eating for a very long time, possibly for all of our species existence.
I have a hope it will become a luxury that demands a price that is used to offset its environmental cost.
I would also be keen to see crulty free meat, vat grown cells and the like.

I do think it's a much easier sell too.

Also the alternative options are getting so much better. Let's hope they aren't also secretly terrible.

I had an email invite to one of those lab meat launch party things. Today. Because I ticked the newsletter option when looking at their website. Obviously I didn’t go. It sounded really Wanki. But I would eat lab meat. Until then, if it’s available and I can afford it I will still eat meat. I don’t eat it every day but you know. I would find it personally very hard to replace fish, chicken, all the rest with alternatives.

someone in a chatroom yesterday was talking about 3D printed meat - fat, muscle, tubes ...

:hmm:

Last edited:
That said, market forces will present some more alternatives. I know but this whole thing is about market forces.

someone in a chatroom yesterday was talking about 3D printed meat - fat, muscle, tubes ...

:hmm:

from here

Print a burger​

A handful of firms are now working on 3D printers that could construct this dinner while you wait, by printing thousands of pre-programmed, sliver-thin layers, stacked on top of each other.
The "ink" used is your food in paste format: printers that can design bespoke pancakes, ice cream and confectionery are already popular in some high-end supermarkets.
However, Ms Almy says companies are now testing the water with much more sophisticated versions. 3D bio-printing can print cells and materials together to create a more complex structured product, like a marbled beef steak.

from here

Print a burger​

A handful of firms are now working on 3D printers that could construct this dinner while you wait, by printing thousands of pre-programmed, sliver-thin layers, stacked on top of each other.
The "ink" used is your food in paste format: printers that can design bespoke pancakes, ice cream and confectionery are already popular in some high-end supermarkets.
However, Ms Almy says companies are now testing the water with much more sophisticated versions. 3D bio-printing can print cells and materials together to create a more complex structured product, like a marbled beef steak.
Sounds delicious!

At some point, we need to reduce/eliminate the faming of animals. That's not the same as all going vegan though. It's surely not going to help the climate to ignore wild fish and animals as a source of food for humans.

I don't eat a great deal of meat anyway but would almost certainly resort to some low-level stock-keeping (chickens, ducks) and I really don't see coneys being off the menu anytime soon. If I had space, I would fatten a pair of pigs too. Probably wouldn't be averse to squirrel either, come to think of it. A family down the road from me have a small poultry farm in their teeny back yard. The chickens get turned out onto the public green and kids playground (during school times).

Been studying too much, this is drilled into my brain as Most Economically Advantageous Tender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom