Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

So I was reading on of those "AMAZING FACTS about Buffy" articles earlier. Whilst most of it was known or meh, I was rather, heh, amazed to discover that Nicholas Brendon has a twin brother who was used for filming The Replacement so they didn't have to do split screen either expensively or badly. That's pretty cool :)

Slightly confusingly they don't have the same last name so not sure if Brendon is a total stage name or if there's another reason.

So I was reading on of those "AMAZING FACTS about Buffy" articles earlier. Whilst most of it was known or meh, I was rather, heh, amazed to discover that Nicholas Brendon has a twin brother who was used for filming The Replacement so they didn't have to do split screen either expensively or badly. That's pretty cool :)

Slightly confusingly they don't have the same last name so not sure if Brendon is a total stage name or if there's another reason.

I did know that but only after a few watches and reading up :cool:

I knew that but I'm fucked if I know which is which :)

Not Buffy related but an awesome use of a twin The Geek Twins: 5 Mind-blowing Sci-fi Movie Mirror Scenes

"Terminator 2 (1991)
The Shot: In this scene, the Terminator watches in a mirror as Linda Hamilton's character opens his head and removes delicate circuitry. The camera is right in front of the mirror the whole time, but we never see it.
How They Did It: The trick here, once again, is that there is no mirror. What we see is an empty frame with the set, Linda Hamilton, and Arnie on one side. In the foreground, they had an animatronic head of Arnold Schwarzenegger with Linda's twin sister (yes, she has one) copying her. By carefully choreographing their movements, it looked like we saw a mirror and the reflection of the Terminator getting his head examined."

So, next friday (March 10th) will be the 20th anniversary :eek: of the airing of the pilot episode ("Welcome to the Hellmouth", not the original pilot with a different Willow).

Possibility of some retrospective stuff coming out? Although I imagine we've probably covered every detail of the show in this thread :D

She's amazing, my favourite big bad by far.
I certainly can't think of a better big bad entrance than when the massive solid door is blown off its hinges and then this small woman in a red dress and high heels is standing there. Her first confrontation with Buffy is amazing too -- so much power mitigated by so much chaotic crazy, resulting in her destroying her own floor by stamping in a tantrum.

"I just want you to know -- this whole "beat you to death" thing I'm doing is valuable time out of my life that I'm never going to get back"

What I appreciate even more the 6th time or whatever I'm watching it is how well the plotline of the big bad weaves in and out of all the other storylines without ever dominating them or undermining them. There's a reason for almost everything in that 5th series, although it's hardly ever apparent when it first happens. It's masterful storytelling, it really is. You couldn't really change one thing out of any episode.

Buffy is now no longer on UK Netflix - I don't know how long it's not been on UK Netflix as I got out of the habit of watching it when I got to series 5 or 6 and now I'm ready to kick start my watching again the bastards have taken it off (unless of course it never was on UK Netflix and I was only able to watch it using SmartFlix - if so it's double bastards to Netflix for taking down SmartFlix)

Buffy is now no longer on UK Netflix - I don't know how long it's not been on UK Netflix as I got out of the habit of watching it when I got to series 5 or 6 and now I'm ready to kick start my watching again the bastards have taken it off (unless of course it never was on UK Netflix and I was only able to watch it using SmartFlix - if so it's double bastards to Netflix for taking down SmartFlix)
There's always pirate bay...

It was definitely on UK Netflix because I only had that but I'm sure they took it off around a year ago, maybe more.

. . . I'm sure they took it off around a year ago, maybe more.

A YEAR AGO . . . FUCK OFF!!1111!!11! Really :confused:

That damned rock 'n' roll music is too loud as well and don't get me on the children they have dressed up as policemen, barely old enough to shave some of 'em

SciFi channel had special marathons of Spike-related eps on Saturday and Angel-related ones on Sunday. So guess which one I went for ... and cripes, looking back some of that stuff was darrrrrrk and adult for a pastel-hued young person's mass-market entertainment.

Yeah, that annoyed me too. It's clear that the rot set in at Season 5.

So, so wrong

What I appreciate even more the 6th time or whatever I'm watching it is how well the plotline of the big bad weaves in and out of all the other storylines without ever dominating them or undermining them. There's a reason for almost everything in that 5th series, although it's hardly ever apparent when it first happens. It's masterful storytelling, it really is. You couldn't really change one thing out of any episode.

Season 5 is the pinnacle of TV writing

So I've just reached The Body, but I don't think I can watch it right now. It needs its own space.

Because The Body is such an amazing episode, I think we forget how good the episode before is -- I Was Made To Love You. The one with April, the girlfriend-robot. The series has been timed perfectly so that Buffy is going through an identity crisis, with the guy she loves having left and the one she hates thinking he loves her. She thinks it's because of her -- that she wasn't a "good enough girlfriend", and that she somehow encourages bad behaviour. Then along comes this robot that is designed from the ground up to be the perfect girlfriend for her maker... and he has rejected her anyway. And so Buffy comes to see that life is about being comfortable with yourself, not living for others. It's such a perfect little parable. And so sad too in its own right.

The fact that the audience doesn't realise that the episode is also setting up a key way in which Buffy will end up beating Glory (via the Buffybot) is the icing on the cake. Like I said -- there's a reason for everything in every episode in series 5.

Back
Top Bottom