Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

And Anya turning up in a -- literal -- bunny costume. Because, you know, bunnies are the scariest thing in the universe.

Fear, Itself. That is a brilliant episode. You could do that one.

Also, it contains possibly the funniest ending of them all.

"Actual Size".
Good call - I had forgotten about that.

I also just remembered (can't remember which ep) the scoobies at Giles' house, explaining magic to Riley (forgive the c&p):
Riley Finn: These spells, these really work? I mean, can you really "turn your enemies inside out"? Or "learn to excrete gold coins"?
Anya: That one's not so much fun.
Willow Rosenberg: They work, Riley. But they take concentration, being attuned with the forces of the universe.
Xander Harris: Right. You can't just go "librum incendere" and expect...
[Xander's book bursts into flames and he slams it shut, extinguishing it]
Giles: [wearily] Xander, don't speak Latin in front of the books.
:D

Plus Giles' "I'm going to make a door" and everyone expecting a magic spell, but wait...

007y0qf7

:cool:

Next topic: greatest chief villain-of-the-year. We have:

The Master -- great insouciance and nice hissy villainy. Also the original bad guy.
Mayor Wilkins -- possibly my personal fave for his hokey small-town good manners and his fabulous father-daughter relationship with Faith. Clearly had the best lines of any villain, and possibly any character.
Glory -- another of my all-round favourite characters for her constant underlying threat-in-sheeps clothing, her cheery mania and her apparent invulnerability
Adam -- a nice line in philosophical musings and a cool arm to boot
The Oldest -- a nice twist to have something non-corporeal

I reluctantly have to exclude Spike and, arguably, Angel and Willow too on the grounds that they are protagonists spanning the whole programme.

Some Mayor Wilkins greats, with apologies for C&P:

"I swear, I would sell my soul for a decent short game. Of course, it's a little late for that. I don't suppose I could offer your soul, huh? Really help me on the green. I'm just funning"

"Who knows, with any luck, they'll kill each other. Then everyone's a winner. Everyone, of course, meaning me"

"Do you think he was going to betray me? Oh, now, that's a horrible thought. And now he's dead, I'll never have the chance to scold him"

"Well, this is exciting. A Slayer, up for murder one. That's sunshine and roses to me, it really is"

"Shh, here comes my favorite part. Where the Slayers see us in the hall together, thick as thieves. Oh, wait, we are thieves. And worse"

"No Slayer of mine is gonna live in a fleabag hotel. That place has a very unsavory reputation. There are immoral liaisons going on there"

"My god, what a feeling. The power of these creatures. It suffuses my being. I can feel the changes begin. My organs are shifting, merging, making ready for the Ascension. Plus these babies are high in fiber, and what's the fun of becoming an immortal demon if you're not regular, am I right?"

"Remember, fast and brutal. It's gonna be a whole new world come nightfall, don't want to weaken now. And boys? Let's watch the swearing"

And of course

"There's nothing uncool about healthy teeth and bones"

Mayor or Glory for me too, Adam's original storyline got messed around and he ended up feeling a little derivative, whilst the First and the Master were just meh IMO.

Mayor / Faith was a brilliant concept, kind of a warped Buffy / Giles, and the most fun to watch.

His actual anger at losing Faith made him even more interesting too, the scene in the hospital is great.

Glory didn't necessarily have the best lines, but she possibly was the cause of other people's best lines.

The Northerner just told me (having spotted the box set) that he never watched Buffy and doesn't really 'get it'.

Between this and the Oreos debacle... <<shakes head sadly>>

As Badgers gave proof to on this thread, he resisted it for ages saying it was silly and pointless and then he "accidentally" got in to it while I was watching it and loved it.
Maybe the Northerner needs "learning" :D

Good call - I had forgotten about that.

I also just remembered (can't remember which ep) the scoobies at Giles' house, explaining magic to Riley (forgive the c&p):
Riley Finn: These spells, these really work? I mean, can you really "turn your enemies inside out"? Or "learn to excrete gold coins"?
Anya: That one's not so much fun.
Willow Rosenberg: They work, Riley. But they take concentration, being attuned with the forces of the universe.
Xander Harris: Right. You can't just go "librum incendere" and expect...
[Xander's book bursts into flames and he slams it shut, extinguishing it]
Giles: [wearily] Xander, don't speak Latin in front of the books.
:D

:D Love it

I loved the introduction of Glory in Season 5 (episode 5, for those tracking these things), in which the monks cower in a room and the massive door blows up. Then later a similar thing happens in a factory with a steel door being bashed in to reveal, in the words of the script:

When the dust settles, GLORY, an attractive blond woman in a
form-fitting red dress stands incongruously amid the rubble.

Hmm, probably The Mayor for me with a special mention (though I know they don't fit the category properly) for Principal Snyder and Caleb.

I was just reading through the episode 5 script. I'd forgotten about this lovely little rant from Glory

Glory has the monk tied to a chair and gagged. He's been beaten
severely. She paces around him while she talks, frequently getting
right up in his terrified face.

GLORY
You know, when you think about it, I'm the victim here. First off, I
don't even want to be here. And I'm not talking about this room or
this city or this state or this planet. I'm talking about the whole
mortal coil now, you know? It's disgusting! The food... the
clothes... the people. I could crap a better existence than
this. (beat) But... okay- and feel free to tell me if this next part
gets a little too personal, because I'm told I have boundary issues-
but I'm hurt! Yes, by your incredibly selfish behavior. Newsflash,
hairdo: it's not always about you. All I want is the Key! Why? Why
can't you tell me where the Key is? (beat; realizes) Oh! Forgive
me... monky. Sometimes I just... I get so anxious- like there's
something deep inside of me and it's swelling up and it's making me
crazy!- that I forget there's all that duct tape on your face!

It could be witches!
Some evil witches!
Which is ridiculous 'cause witches they were persecuted and Wicca good and love the earth and woman power and I'll be over here.

I thought it iwas 'wicked' good, as in the new meaning of wicked. wicca good sounds odd.

Some Mayor Wilkins greats, with apologies for C&P:

"I swear, I would sell my soul for a decent short game. Of course, it's a little late for that. I don't suppose I could offer your soul, huh? Really help me on the green. I'm just funning"

"Who knows, with any luck, they'll kill each other. Then everyone's a winner. Everyone, of course, meaning me"

"Do you think he was going to betray me? Oh, now, that's a horrible thought. And now he's dead, I'll never have the chance to scold him"

"Well, this is exciting. A Slayer, up for murder one. That's sunshine and roses to me, it really is"

"Shh, here comes my favorite part. Where the Slayers see us in the hall together, thick as thieves. Oh, wait, we are thieves. And worse"

"No Slayer of mine is gonna live in a fleabag hotel. That place has a very unsavory reputation. There are immoral liaisons going on there"

"My god, what a feeling. The power of these creatures. It suffuses my being. I can feel the changes begin. My organs are shifting, merging, making ready for the Ascension. Plus these babies are high in fiber, and what's the fun of becoming an immortal demon if you're not regular, am I right?"

"Remember, fast and brutal. It's gonna be a whole new world come nightfall, don't want to weaken now. And boys? Let's watch the swearing"

And of course

"There's nothing uncool about healthy teeth and bones"

"There's more than one way to skin a cat. And I happen to know that's factually true."

Snyder was so ace. I HATED him. Still do, in a brilliant way. The Mayor eating him at the end of s3 is just perfection. BtVS delivers.

it's best watched alternating Buffy and Angel episodes as they were released, because often characters go from one series into the next and continue plot lines over there.

this. very much this. i have fully rewatched both series all the way through twice, and you HAVE to do them in chronological order.

this. very much this. i have fully rewatched both series all the way through twice, and you HAVE to do them in chronological order.
But how do you know when to watch each episodes? At what point do the series sync up and do you just alternate between one episode of Buffy and then one of Angel?

But how do you know when to watch each episodes? At what point do the series sync up and do you just alternate between one episode of Buffy and then one of Angel?

oh, i couldn't do it that carefully, just e.g. season4 buffy, season1 angel, season5 buffy etc (not entirely sure where the first overlap is offhand)

Back
Top Bottom