Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

British woman has her holiday to Benidorm ruined "because her hotel had 'too many Spanish people"

Why on earth does every one else have to generalise. I know its not their fault they're simply following orders, but come on Ooh look a nice album cover.

When people say .... `them Americans... arrogant *nob-ends* aint they` ... that is racists is it not ?

*Edit :Sorry used the C word.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned russians.
I taught English to Russians for a few years. The ones I met were very "money" conscious and very "brand" aware. These were not extremely wealthy russians. They just had a bit more than other Russians. Enough for them to travel to Ireland to learn english for 3 months...There were loads of russians over here during the whole Gorbachov era and afterwards for about 10 years or so. Sorry to say but they were very snobby in their own way. Nice...polite...but their attitude was very entitled and they looked down on anyone who had less than them. They could not understand why I would want to do charity work. At the time I was a volunteer helper with St Vincent De Paul. They thought I was crazy.
I've met lots of russians over the years...and some of the nicest of them still have attitudes of superiority towards those who have nothing.

These are so-called New Russians, a category that takes in just about everybody who did OK after the fall of Communist rule from oligarchs downwards. They tend to be hated by those who had a certain amount of status and respect in the USSR, such as low-level academics, schoolteachers and so on, who lacked the means or the mentality to join in the free-for-all that took place in the 1990s. Both New Russians and those who lost out can often be members of the same family.

In contrast to the late-USSR, there is a broad-based antipathy towards westerners among the Russian population as a whole. This goes for both New Russians (who still make up most, although by no means all, of those you're likely to meet in other countries), who think we're feckless and pampered while they just go ahead and seize the day, and the still dirt poor majority, who blame their poverty on the economic 'shock therapy' encouraged by the west in the early '90s. Aside from all this, the arrogance of Russians that westerners especially seem to complain of often just stems from the disdainful way that Russians of all political persuasions and social backgrounds have treated each other for centuries, and a different idea of what constitutes good manners. Russians are quite keen on saying exactly what they think on any or all occasions. Nearly all Russians I have met are contemptuous of what they see as 'backward' people such as their own peasantry, and it's an attitude that also goes back centuries. Before the fall of Communist rule, much of the snobbishness used to be directed towards those with a perceived lack of education and of sophistication. Now it's both this and social/economic status.

Obviously I, too, am generalising somewhat.

Nearly all Russians I have met are contemptuous of what they see as 'backward' people such as their own peasantry, and it's an attitude that also goes back centuries.

It is the imperialist attitude which I hear a lot about from my m8`s from Estonia, Lithuania, Poland and Latvia .

Are they generalised mainstream mates?

No that is a more perceific description of what I referred to yesterday as Eastern Europeans . I did not mean every Eastern European you see.... but the ones that I have met. They are... 10% Anarchists 50%Punks 20%Mainstream 20%Hippies ... roughly.

It is the imperialist attitude which I hear a lot about from my m8`s from Estonia, Lithuania, Poland and Latvia .
Not exactly, as there tends to be a simultaneous sense of superiority and inferiority towards the peoples of their smaller neighbours, and it doesn't seem to matter if it's Russians who support the idea of a strong state and being a superpower or those who say they're opposed to this. It's a complex attitude, based on their own unique history, and probably has no equivalent in the West.

Yes. Oversimplification on my part. Again :oops:

Well... i have learnt something from this .. i need to brush up on my descriptive language.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom