Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

British holiday park identified ‘people with Irish accents’ as ‘undesirable guests’

Aladdin

image (5).jpg

The Pontins memo said: “Please be aware that several guests are unwelcome at Pontins. However, some of these will still try and book – especially during school holidays. We have been informed by our Operations Director that we do not want these guests on our parks. Please watch out for the following names for any future bookings.”
There followed a list of some 40 surnames: Boylan, Boyle, Carney, Carr, Cash, Connors, Corcoran, Delaney, Doherty, Dorran, Gallagher, Horan, Keefe, Kell, Leahy, Lee, MacLaughlin, McAlwick, McCully, McDonagh, McGinley, McGinn, McGuiness, McHarg, McLaughan, McMahon, Millighan, Mongans, Murphy, Nolan, O’Brien, O’Connell, O’Donnell, O’Donoghue, O’Mahoney, O’Reilly, Sheriadan, Stokes, Walch, Ward.

How fucked up is this??

tbf, makes me think that changing my name to McGuiness could be a good thing if it stops me from ever being able to set foot in Pontins...
You realise that it's not like going to prison (apart from the fact prisons are cleaner and better maintained). No one will force you to go, you can just refuse.
I noticed that the surname of my daughter's Irish fiance is not on that list so if they want to go there on their honeymoon they will be able to.

when it says 'people with irish accents' i'm inclined to think it means 'irish' rather than just 'traveller'
It does appear to be a blunt way of screening out Irish travellers. Other papers have the story too:

Either way it’s racist as fuck.

My mum's family is on that list. And, having attended plenty of weddings/funerals/christenings/first communions/confirmations/ birthdays/Christmas parties etc. that escalated into drunken brawls, I think Pontins is missing a trick - it's free entertainment, and much better than their usual Black Lace tribute band!

Last edited:
Already a thread -

Also, on the main Pontins thread -

And, why is this posted in the WORLD politics forum? :confused:

Already a thread -

Also, on the main Pontins thread -

And, why is this posted in the WORLD politics forum? :confused:
tim is a lib dem

Back
Top Bottom