Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brexit - impact on musicians, touring and the music/events industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
European touring by UK artists is part of the cultural fabric of Europe. Lots of it used to happen and hopefully still will when covid allows. It will be more difficult though.
Right but this is so generalised that it is pretty much useless as a route forward. The specifics are really important, to prioritise what needs to get sorted out first. So e.g. the national theatre doing one show in paris a year (that is funded by their other activities, mainly UK) is not as big a priority as e.g. the collapse of the haulage industry.

Has Brexit directly resulted in forthcoming European tours by the National Theatre being halted, yes/no?

They claim that under the current arrangements that they will not be able to.

My turn;

The National Theatre isn’t touring anywhere for the foreseeable and it’s got nothing at all to do with Brexit.
Yes or no?

Right but this is so generalised that it is pretty much useless as a route forward. The specifics are really important, to prioritise what needs to get sorted out first. So e.g. the national theatre doing one show in paris a year (that is funded by their other activities, mainly UK) is not as big a priority as e.g. the collapse of the haulage industry.
Do these things need to be sorted one at a time? They're not unrelated - they're both a result of the way the UK left the customs union.

I don't think the effect of covid on it's own can be overstated. I guess the proof will be looking at the effects on the arts across europe in a year's time. Don't think many industries could deal with 2 years with no income.
Sure. That doesn't let brexit off the hook, though. It just does an even better job of providing cover. Brexit's effects have been mostly delayed by covid because things are fucked anyway right at this moment. The hope is that in perhaps six months' time things won't be so fucked by covid any more. Then brexit takes over.

However, I think it's also fair to say that brexit is fucking things if future tours pencilled in for a post-covid world are cancelled.

I've already answered that: " Covid has absolutely had an impact recently

So when I made that statement earlier what prompted you to reply with this:

Ah, so you're going to pretend they didn't say this:

The National Theatre says it can no longer tour in Europe as post-Brexit cost & paperwork means it's "currently not financially viable"

If not you being a weasel?

Tbh I'm sure the NT thing could also be phrased as "we are in severe financial difficulty because of covid, and so cannot afford the costs of an expensive European tour". I mean it is to do with money right? It is all the same pot. Just depends what emphasis they want to make.

weaselling
Weaselling Ed, weaselling.
If not you being a weasel?
Really got no time for this. The facts are there for all to see, and no amount of childish name calling will alter that fact. Brexit has resulted in the National Theatre halting European tours.

National Theatre shelves European touring after Brexit

"We had planned to take our production of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, not War Horse, to venues in Europe as part of the now postponed 2020-21 tour," the theatre's spokeswoman told BBC News.

'Not financially viable'

She continued: "The potential additional costs for visas and current lack of clarity around social security contributions as a result of the [Brexit] deal means regrettably it is currently not financially viable.

Tbh I'm sure the NT thing could also be phrased as "we are in severe financial difficulty because of covid, and so cannot afford the costs of an expensive European tour". I mean it is to do with money right? It is all the same pot. Just depends what emphasis they want to make.
It's about the additional expenditure caused by Brexit, the "potential additional costs for visas" and the current "lack of clarity around social security contributions." These extra costs have nothing to do with Covid, which has already caused huge problems for the industry.

It's also why my band may have to cancel some European dates.

Not according to them. They're pretty explicit about the extra costs of brexit making it unviable. Your point is only really valid if they are lying about that.

Obviously it is both brexit and covid.
My band had European dates cancelled/postponed because of Covid.
Some of those rescheduled dates may now not go ahead after Brexit because the costs of visas/carnets/insurance etc may make them financially untenable.
I'm struggling to see why this isn't self explanatory.

Not according to them. They're pretty explicit about the extra costs of brexit making it unviable. Your point is only really valid if they are lying about that.
It wouldn't be lying, just not going into excessive detail. It is pretty implausible to think that the lack of money due to covid did not play any part at all in them not having enough money to go to europe, regardless of extra costs. But the extra costs also would not have helped. Would they have been able to afford to go if covid happened, but without the extra costs from brexit?

My band had European dates cancelled/postponed because of Covid.
Some of those rescheduled dates may now not go ahead after Brexit because the costs of visas/carnets/insurance etc may make them financially untenable.
I'm struggling to see why this isn't self explanatory.
I'm talking about the National Theatre. I am saying their situation is different and less urgent than yours.

I'm talking about the National Theatre. I am saying their situation is different and less urgent than yours.
Why is it less urgent? They have bills and wages to pay like everyone else.
It wouldn't be lying, just not going into excessive detail. It is pretty implausible to think that the lack of money due to covid did not play any part at all in them not having enough money to go to europe, regardless of extra costs. But the extra costs also would not have helped. Would they have been able to afford to go if covid happened, but without the extra costs from brexit?
So if your band was offered well paid gigs in Europe in, say, November this year when touring has opened up again (hopefuilly), how would Covid have an impact on your ability to play those dates?

Why is it less urgent? They have bills and wages to pay like everyone else.
The european tours do not pay the NT bills, they are a cost! The vast majority of their income is UK/arts council. That is a big difference to a band, where a big part of your income could well be europe.

So if your band was offered well paid gigs in Europe in, say, November this year when touring has opened up again (hopefuilly), how would Covid have an impact on your ability to play those dates?
It would mean I probably couldn't go as I had to change job partly due to covid and wont be able to get time off! But also will mean we are unlikely to get offered well paid anything as noone has any money... But also the new regulations because of brexit would also make it more difficult.

Isn't there supposed to be a special thread just for discussion of how Brexit has affected/will affect touring musicians and other performers?

If all that discussion is going to go on here, maybe that thread can be closed, just like the benefits of Brexit one was...
I'll move these posts if I have a moment.

The european tours do not pay the NT bills, they are a cost! The vast majority of their income is UK/arts council. That is a big difference to a band, where a big part of your income could well be europe.
Most of its income comes from the box office. It gets a chunk of public money, but that is nowhere near a majority of its income. International box office is almost as much as the public subsidy.

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 11.56.55.png

The cost/income analysis of big shows isn't straightforward, given that all the development costs are already taken care of before you start touring, so I'm not sure how much of a cost touring actually represents.

European touring by UK artists is part of the cultural fabric of Europe. Lots of it used to happen and hopefully still will when covid allows. It will be more difficult though.

I'm not completely up to date with the cultural fabric of Europe but do UK comedians tour Europe?

Most of its income comes from the box office. It gets a chunk of public money, but that is nowhere near a majority of its income. International box office is almost as much as the public subsidy.

View attachment 255084

The cost/income analysis of big shows isn't straightforward, given that all the development costs are already taken care of before you start touring, so I'm not sure how much of a cost touring actually represents.
Ok, that pretty much matches what I said.

I'm not completely up to date with the cultural fabric of Europe but do UK comedians tour Europe?
Not quite sure of the relevance but some UK comedians do indeed tour Europe/Ireland.

President of Live Nation’s European comedy touring division, Ian Coburn, said: ‘With the success of global streaming, the demand for English speaking comedy is growing especially in Europe and we want to help artists with a gateway to these exiting territories and others in future years’.’

I'm asking about British comedians touring and their role in the cultural fabric of Europe because I was intrigued by this quote from some French 'cultural critic' Laura Cappelle writing in the Guardian in March 2020

While I’m told the British comedy scene is in rude health, not much of it has reached France since Monty Python and Mr Bean. I’ll admit the only active British comedian that came to mind was John Oliver,

Most of the doom in my weekly management meetings is now very much focused on Brexit, not covid.

Covid we’ve just about got through. Was a bumpy ride but there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. It should now be a case of getting things ready for when things open up and have acts booked. Except Brexit is now firmly there as a spanner in the works, mainly down to the sheer uncertainty of it all. We can’t plan for things that haven’t even been worked out yet. It’s utter madness.

Does it? I was surprised to find that international box office was such a big part of its income - a quarter of its entire box office income.
Yes, I said the vast majority of their income comes from their uk activities and the arts council, and it does.

What we dont know from that chart is how much of the 13 million from international box office (eu and non eu, ie including broadway) is swallowed by the costs of touring; I suggested that all of it plus more was (if you removed broadway from the figures at least), but I don't know for absolute sure. I do know that their uk activities are way more profitable though, and I'd say more culturally important.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom