Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brexit - impact on musicians, touring and the music/events industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there was no one working in advertising or marketing, how would any of the arts loving public know what play or ballet was on at which theatre and when it was on or who was headlining at Glastonbury or The Albert Hall or in your local pub?
pub: there'd be a poster in the window, a sign on the wall, etc. just as you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows, you don't need someone working in marketing to put up a notice in your local pub

pub: there'd be a poster in the window, a sign on the wall, etc. just as you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows, you don't need someone working in marketing to put up a notice in your local pub
I didn't realise that you had so much expertise in promoting gigs and bands.

I would love for the world to be set up differently. There is no need to praise corporate advertising/marketing for giving paid employment to artists of various kinds, because if they didn't exist, we would necessarily live in a different world with different possibilities. However, we live in this world, so this is a futile argument.

Which may well have employed advertising and/or marketing of some kind to ensure that you got to see it.

It's not all about jingles and multi-nationals, you know.
just because someone does advertising or marketing doesn't mean they work in advertising or marketing. for many pubs, clubs etc it'll be but a part of someone's job.

the list of things you know nothing about is long indeed. i've not perhaps the experience of putting on gigs you have. or selling photographs. or creating successful comics. but you're not the only person here who's been involved in putting on successful gigs.
It’s straightforward. Tell the bands they get a pint each. Pocket the fee. Next!

Indefinite not short term. Covid19 restrictions are, sure. But the specific problems Brexit will cause, aren't being remedied yet. AFAIK admittedly. So as it stands surviving venues reopon with these issues still remaining.
Short term as in that the musicians go for short term work. That’s the thing we’re supposedly concentrating in here although I admit the conversation has wondered somewhat from this base...

the list of things you know nothing about is long indeed. i've not perhaps the experience of putting on gigs you have. or selling photographs. or creating successful comics. but you're not the only person here who's been involved in putting on successful gigs.
There's quite a few promoters and band members here who have put on successful gigs Why not ask around and see how many think that all the promotion they need to do is to stick up a poster in the pub?

It’s straightforward. Tell the bands they get a pint each. Pocket the fee. Next!
Any promoter doing that wouldn't last five minutes.

There's quite a few promoters and band members here who have put on successful gigs Why not ask around and see how many think that all the promotion they need to do is to stick up a poster in the pub?

Any promoter doing that wouldn't last five minutes.
literally no one on this thread has said that all the promotion they need to do is to stick up a poster in the pub

literally no one on this thread has said that all the promotion they need to do is to stick up a poster in the pub
Oh I am sorry for getting that very impression from your earlier post. So you agree that "lowlife" advertising and marketing might be necessary as well?

Oh I am sorry for getting that very impression from your earlier post. So you agree that "lowlife" advertising and marketing might be necessary as well?
could you point me to where i have used the word lowlife?

and perhaps you'd do better if you go back and read my posts again and then reconsider your question entirely.

i'll do that once you do me the favour of answering my question from post 710.
A nit-picking point from two weeks ago? :facepalm: OK: No, I didn't have a source as I was going on the complete absence of visible buskers on the streets and MU advice. So not illegal but not encouraged, and I suspect buskers might still get harassed by cops.

Now answer my question please.

Last edited:
No, I didn't have a source as I was going on the complete absence of visible buskers on the streets and MU advice.

Now answer my question please.
neither of those things suggested in any way that busking was illegal or even unlawful :facepalm:

perhaps you could drag your attention up the page to post 877

neither of those things suggested in any way that busking was illegal or even unlawful :facepalm:

perhaps you could drag your attention up the page to post 877
No I'm not playing this childish game and being directed from post to post while you continue to wriggle out of answering a direct question.

If you're incapable of addressing the points you've just made, I'd be grateful if you stopped interacting with me completely please*.

*requested in personal capacity

PS: Busker spends four hours in police cell after 'Covid breach' arrest

No I'm not playing this childish game and being directed from post to post while you continue to wriggle out of answering a direct question.

If you're incapable of addressing the points you've just made, I'd be grateful if you stopped interacting with me completely please*.

*requested in personal capacity

PS: Busker spends four hours in police cell after 'Covid breach' arrest

given my post 877 there is no basis for your question. that there may need to be some promotion done does not mean calling in the dubious services of the 'lowlife' advertisers and marketers, when someone within the pub or club will do the necessary as part of their job. or a gig promoter as part of theirs. as for your links about police action about busking, they're not worth the pixels they're displayed on. when the mere action of the police is sufficient to demonstrate something is against the law come back and try again. i've shown you the musicians' union advice. the government line is the same. your manchester man wasn't convicted of busking btw.

Not necessarily if he follows up with some sort of "sorry, I'm a dick" post.
There's been no apology, just a load of cod-philosophy

We are as we are by nature and so we be.

The mind has no option but to make up its own, fiction or otherwise. If science was immutable there'd be no science. Is flat earthing de facto?

On the other hand, for all our human strengths and weaknesses, the symbiosis, being as is, remains unmoved and intact. Our differences merely compound our sameness, so where the battle?

Penny is a twat and loon (agreed) therefore adverts are great and marketing essential industry underpinning great altruistic muso’s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom