Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brexit - impact on musicians, touring and the music/events industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vast majority? Really?
I've worked in advertising and marketing too. Some has been corporate, some has been for charity and some has been helping advertise small independent businesses. Without that work I wouldn't have been able to survive, but I certainly learnt a lot about creative processes on the way.

I guess I'm 'lowlife' too.

Recording the music for tv ads , a dog food or bog roll jingle whatever, is the best paid work you can get, if you’re an orchestral player. I’m not sure if that counts as working in advertising or not tho.
Of course it does. I'd add in writers and designers to the mix as well. Sometimes you can't afford to turn down work for a marketing company. You're fortunate to be able to make that choice.

I've worked in advertising and marketing too. Some has been corporate, some has been for charity and some has been helping advertise small independent businesses. Without that work I wouldn't have been able to survive, but I certainly learnt a lot about creative processes on the way.

I guess I'm 'lowlife' too.
Me too. At the time it was very welcome income. I didn't particularly want to do it, but we can't all afford to be massively choosy.

My mate Chris designs menus and branding for bars to make a living. Total scum.
There seems to be this notion that advertising is all about ruthless companies trying to persuade people to buy goods they can't afford. It's not. Advertising - and marketing - can also be about helping a local family business survive, or letting people know about useful services and local charities etc.

The hope:

The government has said it hopes to open negotiations with individual EU countries "very shortly" to help UK artists to tour after being told Brexit had created an "absolute crisis".
Musicians, actors and their crews will face extra red tape and fees for visas to tour in some European countries.
Speaking to MPs on Tuesday, arts figures said ministers must "act now".

The reality:

Culture minister Caroline Dinenage said there were no current talks to reach agreements with individual countries.

The hope:

The government has said it hopes to open negotiations with individual EU countries "very shortly" to help UK artists to tour after being told Brexit had created an "absolute crisis".
Musicians, actors and their crews will face extra red tape and fees for visas to tour in some European countries.
Speaking to MPs on Tuesday, arts figures said ministers must "act now".

The reality:

Culture minister Caroline Dinenage said there were no current talks to reach agreements with individual countries.

yeh that's what they mean when they say they will open negotiations shortly, that there are no negotiations currently. why this should surprise you is bemusing.

Penny Rimbaud said:

I visited Dial House in 2008 with a friend who knew Crass years before, and while I don't want to get into talking about individuals who aren't here to answer back, I smelt a definite whiff of conspiracism in the air. Around that time was as close as I ever got to falling down the rabbit hole myself, when the Occupy tent city popped up a year or two later it became clear that more and more previously 'good' people were falling every day. That year or two was possibly the most depressing time of my life, in terms of political ideals and how I perceived the possiblity of making them reality. It's no better now, I just think I've got used to it.

If there was no one working in advertising or marketing, how would any of the arts loving public know what play or ballet was on at which theatre and when it was on or who was headlining at Glastonbury or The Albert Hall or in your local pub?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom