Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brexit - impact on musicians, touring and the music/events industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
how was it incompetent? what should have been differently? how is it different from your expectations? genuinely interested

Incompetent to spend the transition period with the government trying to work out what Brexit was rather than to prepare for the actuality. You know, stuff like implanting robust customs software and employing people to work for customs and excise.

I for one never had any faith the tories would do a proper job implementing it :)

The implementation was incompetent beyond even the usual baseline incompetence I might have expected. Zero preparation followed by rushing through hardcore changes on inadequate timescales. There was no attempt to work backwards from the time operational changes take to create a realistic implementation plan. I run trifling low-level team changes with more care and attention to the downstream effects than the government used to approach Brexit. It was a clusterfuck way way WAY beyond the level it needed to be, even from a Tory government.

I think all EU documentation and translations, and border conversations, should now be in either French, German or Spanish to replace English as one of the 'big three' languages.
It's what leavers would want.

Is there anyway that people can please keep this on topic? I just want to keep up to date and get the information I need, see what possible problems I might face. Pages and pages of people arguing that Brexit isn't affecting touring bands isn't helping, and quite frankly isn't true. There are new concerns, new hoops, and new things to be careful of. Take it to a Brexit discussion page. Pulling the actual information from this thread is a pain in the arse.

Is there anyway that people can please keep this on topic? I just want to keep up to date and get the information I need, see what possible problems I might face. Pages and pages of people arguing that Brexit isn't affecting touring bands isn't helping, and quite frankly isn't true. There are new concerns, new hoops, and new things to be careful of. Take it to a Brexit discussion page. Pulling the actual information from this thread is a pain in the arse.
Totally agree.

The single best source of info at the moment is Ian and his team at UK E artsinfo - information for artists after Brexit

Find him on Facebook if you have any specific queries, he’s a good bloke with a lot of knowledge and contacts for all this.

Is there anyway that people can please keep this on topic? I just want to keep up to date and get the information I need, see what possible problems I might face.
By "off-topic", then, I take it that you mean posts like the one below?

Here's how shitty fucking Brexit is still working out for bands right now:

That's about as on-topic as it gets. :confused:
How is it providing useful information for AS? Or, indeed, anybody? It’s a straight up bitch about Brexit. If you don’t want people discussing Brexit as a phenomenon, you have to apply that rule to both sides.

How is it providing useful information for AS? Or, indeed, anybody? It’s a straight up bitch about Brexit. If you don’t want people discussing Brexit as a phenomenon, you have to apply that rule to both sides.

Is there anyway that people can please keep this on topic? I just want to keep up to date and get the information I need, see what possible problems I might face.
It's an example of what possible problems he might face.

No, actually that is quite useful. If highlights a possible pitfall of equipment being delayed at the boarder. This is EXACTLY the sort of thing I want to know about. What isn't helpful is constant squabbling about what exactly is and isn't brexit. This is something that happened, don't care how much was and wasn't brexit, brexit is happening, and this happened at the boarder. That is enough for it to be a good thing for me to have on my radar and be aware of.

I guess it wasn't very useful to the thread in that
A) it had no detail or specifics about what caused the delay in it.
B) it was 100% guaranteed by its phrasing to cause a ruck, as it did.

I guess it wasn't very useful to the thread in that
A) it had no detail or specifics about what caused the delay in it.
B) it was 100% guaranteed by its phrasing to cause a ruck, as it did.
A. I'm always keen to hear about possible pitfalls. I like to be prepared, even if it is only mentally (for the worst case)
B. I don't 100% care about what caused the delay, but brexit is here and this happened to touring musicians while brexit was in place. Ignoring it isn't useful.
Nothing that came after that comment was useful.

The more I think about this post, the funnier it gets. This is a thread about problems caused by Brexit and you're complaining that someone has mentioned problems caused by Brexit.

Here's a working band's first hand account of the problems that Covid and Brexit have caused.

1649683570294.png

While this site comments:

Of course, the UK’s post-Brexit trade deal with the European Union did not include any pan-European provisions for visa free touring, meaning artists and their crews face permit, carnet and other bureaucratic requirements as they tour the continent. Music industry trade groups raised these issues as soon as the trade deal was published at the end of 2020, with the government spending much of 2021 insisting it was looking for ways to tackle those issues.

Given COVID was still making touring impossible at that point there was a window of opportunity to mitigate the negative impact of Brexit on touring artists. But, alas, very little was done, and artists are now having to tackle those issues on the ground.

The more I think about this post, the funnier it gets. This is a thread about problems caused by Brexit and you're complaining that someone has mentioned problems caused by Brexit.
No, I’m saying that if you don’t want this thread to become a discussion of Brexit (something that I personally don’t actually mind in the slightest) then you want to cut out the posts that straight-up bitch about it with no substantive comment or detail. Otherwise, what do you expect to happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom