Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brexit - impact on musicians, touring and the music/events industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's add 3% to every sd card, USB thumb drive, hdd, ssd, etc, and give it to musicians that nobody listens to. Actually, I think it's a great idea. I have a guitar, where do I sign up for my piece of the pie? There are 12 members in my band. Mostly cats. Do we all get a share?
I just read the story, and it doesn't seem to be about giving money to musicians and artists that people don't listen to - it's about compensating musicians and artist who's work is downloaded and consumed?

I just read the story, and it doesn't seem to be about giving money to musicians and artists that people don't listen to - it's about compensating musicians and artist who's work is downloaded and consumed?
I already pay them through Spotify. Why should I pay them again?

i know someone booked on a european tour next year - massive crew and entourage etc - but where theres big money they employ someone to do all the visas paperwork etc etc <theres a lot of it
the biggest acts/shows will be fine - the costs will go on the ticket price
Yep: the big acts have enough resources/money/admin staff to work over these obstacles and increased cists, but it's not the same story for smaller bands.

So the concerts by bands in countries where there is no visa requirement for musicians will be cheaper then those that have visa requiremnts ?

Prices will always be charged based on what people are willing to pay, so it won't go like that. The extra costs will be absorbed by the tour. If the extra costs associated with visas etc in certain countries are too high, then concerts simply won't happen there.

I have, and it makes zero sense.
How will they know if I have a copy of that song that everybody has heard of by Surfin' Bird?
I dunno. I'm not sure this is the answer, but I also think it's reasonable to try and work out ways of compensating artists for their work in a world where everything can be copied, stored and consumed for free. Maybe some sort of levy on the tech companies that make the copying, storing and consumption possible is one way.

Like to hear your version of squeeze's cool for cats
I'll send you a link to download it. Then I'll say you stole it and ask for everyone's wages to be docked at source to reimburse me.

I dunno. I'm not sure this is the answer, but I also think it's reasonable to try and work out ways of compensating artists for their work in a world where everything can be copied, stored and consumed for free. Maybe some sort of levy on the tech companies that make the copying, storing and consumption possible is one way.
The answer might be to play gigs and sell hard copies of your music, like musicians have always done. Good musicians can make a decent living from it.

I'll send you a link to download it. Then I'll say you stole it and ask for everyone's wages to be docked at source to reimburse me.

The answer might be to play gigs and sell hard copies of your music, like musicians have always done. Good musicians can make a decent living from it.
Except it's becoming increasingly difficult for small bands to play gigs in lucrative markets like Europe, firstly because of Covid, and now - looking ahead - because of Brexit.

At home, live venues continue to close at an alarming rate and the notion that small bands can 'make a good living' from selling hard copies at gigs is laughable. At best, such sales may help cover costs and with a favourable breeze, make a small profit.

Except it's becoming increasingly difficult for small bands to play gigs in lucrative markets like Europe, firstly because of Covid, and now - looking ahead - because of Brexit.

At home, live venues continue to close at an alarming rate and the notion that small bands can 'make a good living' from selling hard copies at gigs is laughable. At best, such sales may help cover costs and with a favourable breeze, make a small profit.
I think you're missing what's really happening in the music industry. Kids no longer listen to bands, they listen to individuals that fit on their phone in portrait mode on tik tok. I had a look at the top 40 singles chart recently, and only one single was from a band/group. Kids don't listen to musicians anymore. That's most of the problem.

So if I buy an SD card for my camera or my dashcam I should pay a levy on it to give to musicians? If I want to support a musician then I will buy an album from them, the last album I bought (6 days ago) was from an artist I've never heard of before but was recommended to me by Spotify. When Mrs Q, Youngest and I went to Cambridge in Jan last year (just before the Plague) there was a guy playing in the streets and I thought this guy is so good that I pulled out £10 and bought an album off him then and there. If musicians aren't attracting people willing to support them then perhaps they should give up and get a job in Aldi's.
Personally I think performing rap is grounds for summary execution but I appreciate that other people have different tastes and if they wish to listen to it and pay for it that is their privilege. But I have no interest in my money going to performers that I wouldn't listen to anyway. I pay a lot in taxes (and am indeed willing to pay more) but there are far more important things I would like to see it spent on rather than 'creatives'

Last edited:
I think you're missing what's really happening in the music industry. Kids no longer listen to bands, they listen to individuals that fit on their phone in portrait mode on tik tok. I had a look at the top 40 singles chart recently, and only one single was from a band/group. Kids don't listen to musicians anymore. That's most of the problem.

We're talking about bands touring Europe, not the 'kids' market.

So if I buy an SD card for my camera or my dashcam I should pay a levy on it to give to musicians? If I want to support a musician then I will buy an album from them, the last album I bought (6 days ago) was from an artist I've never heard of before but was recommended to me by Spotify. When Mrs Q, Youngest and I went to Cambridge in Jan last year (just before the Plague) there was a guy playing in the streets and I thought this guy is so good that I pulled out £10 and bought an album off him then and there. If musicians aren't attracting people willing to support them then perhaps they should give up and get a job in Aldi's.
Personally I think performing rap is grounds for summary execution but I appreciate that other people have different tastes and if they wish to listen to it and pay for it that is their privilege. But I have no interest in my money going to performers that I wouldn't listen to anyway. I pay a lot in taxes (and am indeed willing to pay more) but there are far more important things I would like to see it spent on rather than 'creatives'
On the other hand, you listen to music without paying for it. Everyone does.

Personally I thnik performing rap is grounds for summary execution but I appreciate that other people have different tastes and if they wish to listen to it and pay for it that is their privilege. But I have no interest in my money going to performers that I wouldn't listen to anyway. I pay a lot in taxes (and am indeed willing to pay more) but there are far more important things I would like to see it spent on rather than 'creatives'
The problem is that if all the musicians who can't make attract enough people to support them give up and get a job in Aldi (actually, every musician I know - some of whom are relatively well known - has a day job already, many of them in retail) then more or less the only music that's left is mass market popular music, stuff that gets millions of streams on streaming services. That's the reality.

Can't say I'm keen on that, so personally I'd welcome ideas which support the lower tiers of the music industry better. TBH the scheme suggested in that story strikes me as pissing in the wind, but it's an idea that goes a little beyond applying the grim calculus of the market to everything, as you and saul seem to be suggesting.

Depends what you mean by creatives, mime artists have had a tough year too but you hear them banging in about it

On the other hand, you listen to music without paying for it. Everyone does.
Really where? the music I listen to at home, in my car or on my daily walk is mine that I have purchased or pay a subscription towards. It's true that I hear music out and about in places like shopping centres or the gym etc but it wasn't my choice to listen to it and certainly not my reason for going there. It's just background noise and indeed the performers are being compensated under all sorts of nefarious schemes.

Really where? the music I listen to at home, in my car or on my daily walk is mine that I have purchased or pay a subscription towards. It's true that I hear music out and about in places like shopping centres or the gym etc but it wasn't my choice to listen to it and certainly not my reason for going there. It's just background noise and indeed the performers are being compensated under all sorts of nefarious schemes.
Recently I've had it inflicted on me in pubs and shops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom