Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brexit - impact on musicians, touring and the music/events industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the PRS have now backtracked after making right arses of themselves.

PRS (Performing Rights Society) for Music have just announced they're reversing the decision to introduce a flat-fee tariff for ticketed livestream events that gross less that £500.

In one of the more ill-judged moves to impact musicians and grassroots venues throughout the pandemic, it would've unfairly targeted artists who generate less revenue than some of the major, glossier ticketed livestreams that are now commonplace. Members can now apply for a license to perform their own works for streamed events throughout the Covid-19 pandemic.

With venues closed for the foreseeable, livestreams are one of the only ways struggling artists can generate an income and the tariff drew widespread criticism from the music community. Music Venue Trust's CEO commented: “It is a tax in the middle of a crisis on people who need the money. No venues or promoters are making money – it’s for artists or for charities they care about.”

"...digging at a poster in personal ways because you own a discussion board and get a kick out of needling and bullying then banning strangers online. It passes the days I guess."

No, this is really unacceptable and unpleasantly personal. No poster has been threatened, warned or banned in this thread neither has there been any mod input from me at all.

I'm arguing with you because you've been posting up a load of ignorant nonsense about touring Europe, and have been doing that Tory thing suggesting that it's all my fault that I'm not earning money from music now because I just haven't been entrepreneurial enough.

My main income is DJing, performing and writing about music. I haven't earned a fucking penny since March 2020 and right now there's no hope in sight of me getting any work.

To have you keep on insisting that there's actually "fuckloads" of ways I should be making money now is patronising and insulting.
Have you considered getting a job, any job until COVID is over and music gigs commence again?

Here's the reality brought about by fucking Brexit. A guy was offered a festival date in Spain but looks likely to turn it down because of this bullshit:

According to the Consulate, applicants who will perform/work in Spain for a period no longer that 5 consecutive days or 20 performance days (rehearsals are not taken into account) require a C-type EET visa, which costs a rather eye-watering £409!
No matter, I would still need to complete the Spain Business Visa Application form. I need to provide passport photos no older than 3 months, a work certificate from the promoter which mentions my position, salary, and date of starting the ‘post,’ and a letter of invitation written in Spanish, in which it states the business relation that justifies my trip. I need Spanish Travel Health Insurance, covering any incident or unforeseen illness with a minimum of 30.000€, that occur in Spain and any other Schengen country. I need to prove that I have enough money to support myself while in Spain, providing bank account statements, or, as in my case, a letter from the promoter to confirm they are financing my trip, which they need to accompany with bank statements from their own account, and my hotel booking.

After which, I then I need to travel to London for a Visa interview. Easier said than done. I live 50 minutes outside of the city on an extremely expensive train line which I just checked costs £103 return. So, that’s another day lost to administration, and a loss of potential earnings, whilst my fingerprints are taken and facial scanning captured.
Whilst waiting for the results of the Visa application I can apply for a carnet to accompany the equipment I travel with. This is to be ‘used primarily for goods being temporarily exported for display at trade fairs or exhibitions, and for professional equipment and samples.’ Here I need to spend time detailing every single piece of equipment, with serial numbers, weight of each item and country of origin, which in terms of electronics could be challenging depending on the individual parts. It shows that the equipment I take with me to the EU, then returns back to the UK and I’ve not sold anything on. The carnet comes in at a bargain £360 too! And lasts for just one year.
And don’t forget your double taxation forms, which are essential ingredients for any shows. These forms need to be stamped by the UK tax authorities to ensure that you don’t get taxed at source in the EU country you are working in, and then again on the same income in the UK. Even though it’s 2021, these can only be applied for online and can take up to three months to arrive in the post, with no guarantee they will be with you before you need them on departure.

And perhaps I will take some CDs and vinyl records to sell? Well, I’ll need to somehow settle all the taxes on these in the country and have my EORI number at hand for the goods.

Here's the reality brought about by fucking Brexit. A guy was offered a festival date in Spain but looks likely to turn it down because of this bullshit:

am i right that you toured the states? was the process much like that for that tour?
of course if youve got management they sort a lot of these things out (for a wage of course)

I just did. You might not see it as a benefit but thankfully you are a minority view.
Could you list all the benefits for touring musicians, bands, entertainers, DJs, sound engineers etc, or are they just seen as collateral damage so people can soak up the undefined glories of 'political freedom from the EU'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom