Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brexit - impact on musicians, touring and the music/events industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
it goes on to explain that the EU have put new regs on EU trucking firms as well that basically fuck all touring and roadshows down to the limited number of drops they can now make as well.
i didnt get that far (yet) - why the fuck did they do that?

Like the fact we can't be in the same place means we can't discuss together? Culture has passed beyond physical space now, I thought you would have noticed.
Did I say that all opportunities for everything are ended? No. I said that opportunities are reduced, which they are. And yes, people are struggling on during covid trying to make the best of it with remote contacts etc, but the idea that we don't lose anything by losing actual physical contact is rubbish. And I think you probably know that.

Did I say that all opportunities for everything are ended? No. I said that opportunities are reduced, which they are. And yes, people are struggling on during covid trying to make the best of it with remote contacts etc, but the idea that we don't lose anything by losing actual physical contact is rubbish. And I think you probably know that.

NOBODY IS SAYING MUSICIANS CAN'T TRAVEL TO EUROPE TO PLAY ANY MORE

ok.

This thread makes me want to do in a music tour.

it’s also made me look up this whole back line thing — it never crossed my mind that a venue providing the PA would not also provide the on-stage monitors etc. Would it not be a pain in the arse for them to be changing those up between every performer?

One thing I have to take issue with is the suggestion everybody takes up playing music themselves. I don’t want people to play their own music, I want them to listen to me playing mine. I don’t do all this practice on technique just so that nobody listens admiringly, you know.

what does this mean?

I do not believe that Brexit will lead to fewer opportunities for musicians who want to play music, to play music.

I accept that some bands' income may be affected for a while and they may have to consider new ways to monetize their music, new ways and places to play shows. I disagree that this is in itself a bad thing.

I accept that some highly-skilled professional musicians (eg. classical) may find themselves badly affected because they have to play live to get paid and they have to do so in Europe. I accept that events and logistics firms are going to have a lot of extra work to do and some may be out of business. I have already said this is horrible and I'm sorry.

I sympathize with everyone badly affected by Brexit whether they voted for it or not (I voted Remain ftr)

littlebabyjesus ' post is self-contradictory, in my view, and exemplifies the, yes, hysteria about Brexit among a certain shade of Remainer. The other most vitriolic posters on this thread are of a similar shade and nothing so far has surprised me.

I do not believe that Brexit will lead to fewer opportunities for musicians who want to play music, to play music.

I accept that some bands' income may be affected for a while and they may have to consider new ways to monetize their music, new ways and places to play shows. I disagree that this is in itself a bad thing.

I accept that some highly-skilled professional musicians may find themselves badly affected because they have to play live to get paid and they have to do so in Europe. I accept that events and logistics firms are going to have a lot of extra work to do and some may be out of business. I have already said this is horrible and I'm sorry.

I sympathize with everyone badly affected by Brexit whether they voted for it or not (I voted Remain ftr)

littlebabyjesus ' post is self-contradictory, in my view, and exemplifies the, yes, hysteria about Brexit among a certain shade of Remainer. The other most vitriolic posters on this thread are of a similar shade and nothing so far has surprised me.
where does the cognitive dissonance come in?

This thread makes me want to do in a music tour.

it’s also made me look up this whole back line thing — it never crossed my mind that a venue providing the PA would not also provide the on-stage monitors etc. Would it not be a pain in the arse for them to be changing those up between every performer?

One thing I have to take issue with is the suggestion everybody takes up playing music themselves. I don’t want people to play their own music, I want them to listen to me playing mine. I don’t do all this practice on technique just so that nobody listens admiringly, you know.
go on, post a recording then.

I really am going to try to leave this, but it is hysteria to point out that making touring the EU harder reduces opportunities?

:confused:

The venue almost always provides the onstage monitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom