Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BREXIT Crunch time (part 38) WTF is going to happen next?

Brexit crunch - WTF happens next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For that to work, May would need to work out how to manoeuvre someone, presumably Labour, into taking the fall for it, then the Tories would need to work out how to not become the party to vote for to get Brexit back. And then if there’s no home for Leavers, that opens space for the far right.

I think May’s government has to just keep stumbling forward, offering a version of a deal nobody wants. I can’t work out how they think they can do anything else.

If today parliament votes to reject the idea of No Deal, then they need to find an acceptable deal (acceptable to parliament and the EU) before any deadline, however extended. That doesn’t seem possible with this parliament. The only logical way to hope to fix that is to hold a general election in the hope that this shakes up the numbers in parliament enough. Which May already tried, but got worse arithmetic than she’d started with.

But even though the Tory membership is pretty Leavey, the pool of Tory candidates is going to be like the pool of MPs: looking for ways to please the CBI, the BCC, and so on. They’re pretty Remainy.

I don’t know what move anyone can make.

For the situation to be resolved May has to go, but if May goes the situation has to be resolved. :p Not an attractive prospect for would be PM's.

As we all know Brexit has been a goldmine for fans of utterly meaningless and trite statements repeated over and over again as if they're some sort of insight.

My current favourite is 'the Brexit people voted for'. If there is one thing that should be stupidly obvious to everyone now is that there is no such thing as one Brexit that everyone voted for. I see the Mail is going with it again this morning despite many of Brexit's most vocal supporters in Parliament voting against the deal.

She changed her vote from last time.

You sure? How odd.

There was some weird changes though. I see Goldsmith changed sides and voted for the exact same deal he rejected earlier. I'm sure its nothing to do with some MP's looking over their shoulders with the potential for another election around the corner.

I do get the feeling with some of the tories that changed sides that they saw it as a shot to nothing. The knew the deal wouldn't pass so they were afe in voting for it and can then say 'at least I tried, it was everyone else's fault'.

Our three local MPs (all Labour) voted one of each option.
One for
One against
One (my MP) cannot vote.

Last edited:
i do. i don't see why they would extend it, to hash over the same auld shite again. which will lead to mps peering over the abyss into no deal, and - i suspect - a resolution will be found.

Bit hardball though innit? Not saying it's impossible. But why risk no deal when Britain staying in the EU and looking like a very sorry warning to anyone else trying to leave looks like a very achievable goal right now?

Additionally, No Deal is a more useful tool to the EU project as an abstract abyss rather than a reality. Sure, there'd be chaos for a while, prices could fluctuate, jobs would be under threat (although could be saved by robust worker action and demands for nationalisation etc) but things would stabilise to an extent and the Doomsday scenario vision of No Deal would be somewhat dented.

Plus which Parliament voting for an extension sort of gives the EU carte blanche to ask for whatever they want, provided they phrase it politely like a kindly but exasperated uncle.

Bit hardball though innit? Not saying it's impossible. But why risk no deal when Britain staying in the EU and looking like a very sorry warning to anyone else trying to leave looks like a very achievable goal right now?

Additionally, No Deal is a more useful tool to the EU project as an abstract abyss rather than a reality. Sure, there'd be chaos for a while, prices could fluctuate, jobs would be under threat (although could be saved by robust worker action and demands for nationalisation etc) but things would stabilise to an extent and the Doomsday scenario vision of No Deal would be somewhat dented.

Plus which Parliament voting for an extension sort of gives the EU carte blanche to ask for whatever they want, provided they phrase it politely like a kindly but exasperated uncle.
oh i think we'll be in the eu every day this year
i suspect the mps will look into the no deal abyss, consult their consciences, and look again at article 50

oh i think we'll be in the eu every day this year
i suspect the mps will look into the no deal abyss, consult their consciences, and look again at article 50

Nah. They'll do that after a couple more extensions. They're not sure everyone's bored enough yet. I mean, we're not bored enough - we're still talking about it. How many threads have we had and we're on 22 pages for this latest one?

Does anyone understand the process for negotiating the extension?

1. Assume MPs vote against no deal today and in favour of extension tomorrow.
2. EU says fine but in order to grant one we need X, Y & Z.
3. ???

Is step 3 an executive decision? Going back to Parliament would cause more chaos.

Does anyone understand the process for negotiating the extension?

1. Assume MPs vote against no deal today and in favour of extension tomorrow.
2. EU says fine but in order to grant one we need X, Y & Z.
3. ???

Is step 3 an executive decision? Going back to Parliament would cause more chaos.
Still plenty more chaos to look forward to, whatever happens

Back
Top Bottom