Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BREXIT Crunch time (part 38) WTF is going to happen next?

Brexit crunch - WTF happens next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just bloody well stay in and admit this whole fucking shitshow was never going to happen ffs

It's probably worth staying in until we get a competent government capable of delivering a version of Brexit that people can agree on - or until the movement of tectonic plates smashes Europe into other continents and renders the whole thing obsolete, whichever happens first.

My gut feeling is that Brexit is now finished.

The CBI etc. are beginning to come out into the open.

Few MPs really want Brexit, even the ERG types would prefer to remain and have a cause than accept a watered to Brino.

It's just a case at the moment of nobody wanting to take responsibility for pulling the plug on democracy.

Just catching up. But I think this sort of thinking is delusional.

Actually bollocks. Those of you who still think that no deal can’t happen because Parliament will vote against it. You are fucking idiots. It is what will happen unless something else is actually passed. And you trust this Parliament to do the latter.

Fuckwits.

Whereas your thinking comes across as merely dipsomaniacal.

At least they've solved the Northern Island border issue. How to cut tariffs without installing a hard border. They are going to use a temporary 'honesty box' system. However I'm not sure if its going to work in practice even in the short term. There is a small possibility that it could be exploited by smugglers.

No tariffs for Irish goods going to NI

At least they've solved the Northern Island border issue. How to cut tariffs without installing a hard border. They are going to use a temporary 'honesty box' system. However I'm not sure if its going to work in practice even in the short term. There is a small possibility that it could be exploited by smugglers.

No tariffs for Irish goods going to NI
I think smugglers who had something like 75 years plus dealing with a hard border will have no difficulty with post-29/3 arrangements

Assuming “no deal” is rejected in today’s vote and tomorrow’s vote in favour of an extension passes, I guess we have a week of discussions with the EU before their answer comes back, and if it’s as negative as some on here suggest then with just over a week to Brexit day, the choices will be:

1) put the May deal to another vote and pass it
2) ignore today’s vote and go for “no deal Brexit” regardless
3) withdraw A50, have a bit of a think, election, referendum or whatever and come back next year to start the fun all over again

And even if they do give an extension and it’s taken up by the UK, the choices above still apply, just maybe 2 months down the line.

I can’t see how (3) can be justified to the public, and I believe there are more opposed to “no deal” than are opposed to May’s deal (we will find out later), so regardless of the vote yesterday I still expect May to get her deal through at the last minute when the other options have evaporated.

Assuming “no deal” is rejected in today’s vote and tomorrow’s vote in favour of an extension passes, I guess we have a week of discussions with the EU before their answer comes back, and if it’s as negative as some on here suggest then with just over a week to Brexit day, the choices will be:

1) put the May deal to another vote and pass it
2) ignore today’s vote and go for “no deal Brexit” regardless
3) withdraw A50, have a bit of a think, election, referendum or whatever and come back next year to start the fun all over again

And even if they do give an extension and it’s taken up by the UK, the choices above still apply, just maybe 2 months down the line.

I can’t see how (3) can be justified to the public, and I believe there are more opposed to “no deal” than are opposed to May’s deal (we will find out later), so regardless of the vote yesterday I still expect May to get her deal through at the last minute when the other options have evaporated.

Presumably there is some way of May tabling her deal with a clause that says if it's voted down again A50 will be revoked. Then MP's would be faced with a simple choice between cancelling Brexit or leaving on the terms of May's deal, and if they chose to vote the deal down again May could then blame Parliament for the failure to Brexit.

I don't know if I think May would have the confidence to do that, especially after all her various defeats - it could be a workable strategy especially after Parliament has voted to rule out no deal, but I think she'd probably be too worried that she would be blamed for it then she'd be removed and forever after be remembered as the PM who fucked up Brexit. Alternatively her deal is so manifestly hated by everyone if it got through she might have the same problem.

I think that's what I would do if I were May (ugh) and I really believed her deal was the best way. But probably not what she will do.

Presumably there is some way of May tabling her deal with a clause that says if it's voted down again A50 will be revoked. Then MP's would be faced with a simple choice between cancelling Brexit or leaving on the terms of May's deal, and if they chose to vote the deal down again May could then blame Parliament for the failure to Brexit.

I don't know if I think May would have the confidence to do that, especially after all her various defeats - it could be a workable strategy especially after Parliament has voted to rule out no deal, but I think she'd probably be too worried that she would be blamed for it then she'd be removed and forever after be remembered as the PM who fucked up Brexit. Alternatively her deal is so manifestly hated by everyone if it got through she might have the same problem.

I think that's what I would do if I were May (ugh) and I really believed her deal was the best way. But probably not what she will do.

Could someone else not table an amendment to that telling her to jog on, which would then get voted through and make her look like an idiot again?

My gut feeling is that Brexit is now finished.

The CBI etc. are beginning to come out into the open.

Few MPs really want Brexit, even the ERG types would prefer to remain and have a cause than accept a watered to Brino.

It's just a case at the moment of nobody wanting to take responsibility for pulling the plug on democracy.
For that to work, May would need to work out how to manoeuvre someone, presumably Labour, into taking the fall for it, then the Tories would need to work out how to not become the party to vote for to get Brexit back. And then if there’s no home for Leavers, that opens space for the far right.

I think May’s government has to just keep stumbling forward, offering a version of a deal nobody wants. I can’t work out how they think they can do anything else.

If today parliament votes to reject the idea of No Deal, then they need to find an acceptable deal (acceptable to parliament and the EU) before any deadline, however extended. That doesn’t seem possible with this parliament. The only logical way to hope to fix that is to hold a general election in the hope that this shakes up the numbers in parliament enough. Which May already tried, but got worse arithmetic than she’d started with.

But even though the Tory membership is pretty Leavey, the pool of Tory candidates is going to be like the pool of MPs: looking for ways to please the CBI, the BCC, and so on. They’re pretty Remainy.

I don’t know what move anyone can make.

four independent MPs voted for, but they will be Field, Austin, Hopkins and Lloyd (the Lib Dem who resigned the whip to support brexit) I think?

Back
Top Bottom