Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BrewDog: yet another hip company using 'rebel' language to sell its stuff

So godamn edgy.

brewdog-sink-the-bismarck.jpg
Call that a salute? Drop and give me forty, and then forty more...

How about the sexist adverts? You like them?

brewdog_1.JPG
Until today, I can't say I'd seen any of their sexist ads, which have disappointed me.

Their other marketing was a bit naff, granted, but it's marketing. What do you expect?

Their beers are tasty, and their customer service was great when I ordered stuff from them online.

I'm a bit torn because I like their beer but the self - aggrandizing try - hard marketing gets right on my tits.
Just a part of late capitalism I suppose: - a beer can't just be a beer it has to be a symbol that the consumer can use to distinguish themselves from others based on coolness / knowledge / attitude etc, and make them feel good about themselves doing so. That trashy blonde stuff is cringeworthy.

Must admit, beyond the pump clips ive never seen any of their marketing before. I'll wager thats the same for most people who've drunk their beer.

Must admit, beyond the pump clips ive never seen any of their marketing before. I'll wager thats the same for most people who've drunk their beer.

I was coming in here to say just that.
I've had a few of their beers here and there. I've even been in one of their pubs - the one in Leeds, we only had the one as the seats were shite and there are far nicer beer places in Leeds, when you're visiting - but I've never seen any of their advertising.

I only buy it cos I'm very particular about the beer I like (hoppy, US style IPAs) and this ticks that box and is available in my local supermarket.

The branding, though unpleasant, is irrelevant.

My first encounter with their advertising was a booklet that had been left on every table in their pub. It was the shoreditch branch, perhaps that had something to do with it...

Anyone mentioned BrewDog and Tescos yet? Heard some stuff about BrewDog from a brewer (admittedly I was pissed at the time) but he hated BrewDog cos of their practices within the business (slagging off fellow breweries just for the sake of it) and that they released a Tesco finest beer (iirc which I might not have there might also have been something about a Tesco funded campaign of some sort) which isn't exactly in keeping with their self defined "punk" image.

Saying that, I like the beers and the pubs!

Anyone mentioned BrewDog and Tescos yet? Heard some stuff about BrewDog from a brewer (admittedly I was pissed at the time) but he hated BrewDog cos of their practices within the business (slagging off fellow breweries just for the sake of it) and that they released a Tesco finest beer (iirc which I might not have there might also have been something about a Tesco funded campaign of some sort) which isn't exactly in keeping with their self defined "punk" image.

Saying that, I like the beers and the pubs!

Tesco Finest American double IPA is Brewdog Hardcore IPA in generic packaging.

How about the sexist adverts? You like them?

brewdog_1.JPG

Dodgy advertising seems to be a bit of an issue for brewers; I was surprised to see my tipple of choice advertised like this:-

279012493_0d7dd915cf_o.jpg

I believe that Sheps (proper tory @rseholes, like most old brewing families) got their knuckles rapped by the Advertising standards for this one.

Brewdog's beers are OK to drink IMO, actually well more than OK at times.

The marketing is cringeworthy though, and the expense in their pubs a disgrace. You can sometimes get cheap deals for bottles in some supermarkets, but the pubs we avoid. In Bristol especially, and we're often there, we've avoided that Baldwin St place ever since it opened, and that's because of the wanky clientele as well as because of the stupid expense..

In Bristol and elsewhere there are many much more affordable pubs and beers, places offering a wide range of quality beers from genuinely independent microbreweries. That don't use crap marketing ....

I'm optimisticly assuming that no-one earlier up this thread has been having a pop at small-brewery and niche interest beers in general because of Brewdog's up-themselves approach ;)

the brewdog bar in manchester is embarrassing tbh - all the atmosphere of a suburban wetherspoons, but booze at £6 a pint. fuck that. if i want to drink outrageously overpriced beer in manchester i'll go the port street beer house. :D

the brewdog bar in manchester is embarrassing tbh - all the atmosphere of a suburban wetherspoons, but booze at £6 a pint. fuck that. if i want to drink outrageously overpriced beer in manchester i'll go the port street beer house. :D

The Edinburgh one is much the same. Can't speak to any of the others.

Back
Top Bottom