Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BrewDog: yet another hip company using 'rebel' language to sell its stuff

They're ok, I just don't think I've ever had mind-blowing chicken wings, though everyone else seem to rave about them.

I think the point is that they have a very high surface to volume ratio so you can get absolutely shitloads of sauce on them. Good sauce - good wings. The wings themselves are just OK, agreed.

Greggs do a vegan sausage roll and piers morgan loses the plot.

Brewdog do a half vegan burger and half of urban loses the plot.

These companies know their target markets, for sure.

what cracks me up is that is exactly what the marketing twats who came up with this want, the people who are manipulated here know they are being manipulated and they still have a thrombo.

what cracks me up is that is exactly what the marketing twats who came up with this want, the people who are manipulated here know they are being manipulated and they still have a thrombo.
No idea what a 'thrombo' is or why you're so keen to support these wankers. And your notion that their marketing team want people to think they're cunts and tell their friends to never ever go there is some sort of win is exceedingly stupid.

It's their toe-curlingly naff marketing that has stopped me wanting to ever give them a penny or ever visit their bars.

No idea what a 'thrombo' is or why you're so keen to support these wankers. And your notion that their marketing team want people to think they're cunts and tell their friends to never ever go there is some sort of win is exceedingly stupid.

I think Spymaster is the perfect counter to what otherwise looks like a reasonable argument. :D

Does the fact that I'm largely indifferent to this burger make me a winner? Or do the marketers win no matter what?
If you ever think anything about Brewdog - even if it's just a passing thought along the lines of "what a load of shitebags they are," apparently they have "won."

It's their toe-curlingly naff marketing that has stopped me wanting to ever give them a penny or ever visit their bars.

Thrombo Urban Dictionary: thrombo

“keen to support these twats”, only one of us is giving them the oxygen of publicity.

Search on google for “outrage pr”

“keen to support these twats”, only one of us is giving them the oxygen of publicity.
So if I call you a twat and tell everyone else who knows you - and people you haven't met yet - that you're a twat too, I'm actually supporting you? Awesome logic!

So if I call you a twat and tell everyone else who knows you - and people you haven't met yet - that you're a twat too, I'm actually supporting you? Awesome logic!

No, if I opened a hideously inappropriately themed or named bar in brixton and you started a thread here about how tasteless it was and posted links to my twitter feed, you’d be doing me a favour by generating outrage and sending me twattors.

( you do know that you keep posting links to brewdog blogs don’t you ? )

Alex

No, if I opened a hideously inappropriately themed or named bar in brixton and you started a thread here about how tasteless it was - you’d be doing me a favour by generating outrage.

Alex
Except I didn't start this thread and if you had any understanding at all of how social media works you'd know that whatever is said on a relatively obscure forum discussing UK politics is of absolutely zero consequence to a bar in Brixton. To suggest that this thread is somehow driving traffic to the bar is sheer bonkersland fantasy.

Are you sure you're not one of those 'equity punks' because you sure can't stop yourself trying to shut down any criticism of the wankstain company!

Except I didn't start this thread and if you had any understanding at all of how social media works you'd know that whatever is said on a relatively obscure forum discussing UK politics is of absolutely zero consequence to a bar in Brixton. To suggest that this thread is somehow driving traffic to the bar is sheer bonkersland fantasy.

Are you sure you're not one of those 'equity punks' because you sure can't stop yourself trying to shut down any criticism of the wankstain company!

I’m sure you are well aware how google search rankings work and that only one of us is repeatedly posting links to brewdog media.

I was replying to the below and criticising your simile - as you are well aware.

I’m sure you are also well aware how google search rankings work and only one of us is repeatedly posting links to brewdog media.
Wait. So now you're saying that posting up two or three links in a 40 page thread is going to send this thread soaring to the top of Google search engine rankings? So whoever searches for the company will be taken straight to pages and pages or entirely negative commentary?

That's fantastic! Or rather it would be if it was true, but you really don't have much of a clue about what it takes to get a high Google ranking on a company keyword. Clue: a few links on a non-mainstream bulletin board with 15,000,000 posts really isn't going to do the job. :facepalm:

Wait. So now you're saying that posting up two or three links in a 40 page thread is going to send this thread soaring to the top of Google search engine rankings? So whoever searches for the company will be taken straight to pages and pages or entirely negative commentary?

nice straw man argument, it’s easy to Refute what I don’t say !

everyone posting links to brewdog media contributes to search rankings ( as you are well aware ), nowhere have I said what you say above.

So far in this thread, you’ve made ad hominem attacks ( “if I published a blog calling you a twat” ), you’ve accused me of being corrupt “are you an equity punk”, and now a straw man argument.

Good work

Alex

I doubt very much that posting links to Brewdog blogs here will make any difference to their sales. I think we may be overestimating the reach of Urban75 somewhat.

It's really quite simple, they have created a product that nods to sustainability and may make the vegan curious more likely to try and enjoy vegan food. That can only be a good thing. And the nonsense comments made about 'they should serve real vegan products', well, you didn't read stuff properly, because as has been pointed out, they do have quite a decent vegetarian/vegan offering.

If you are one of those people that is enraged by their success and want to find fault in everything they do because they are quite provocative in their marketing then you are welcome to do that.

The 'environmental' (possible overclaim) benefit is not much different to hotel chains asking you to 'save the environment' by chucking your towels in the bath. But nobody is raging against them are they.

Everybody can make a choice in life, and it doesn't sound like the enraged here would patronise Brewdog. I imagine many of the enraged might drink other beers made by massive multinational companies run by even bigger cunts, such as Heineken.

Here's an example:
Heineken claims its business helps Africa. Is that too good to be true?

Compassion fade - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Does the fact that I'm largely indifferent to this burger make me a winner? Or do the marketers win no matter what?
They are merely promoting a product. If it goes well, they will sell burgers and some people might be more tempted to try vegan food. If it doesn't, they won't, and it will quietly be taken off menu.

That is how business works.

I quite like this idea people need a glidepath to trying vegan food, like some sort of gateway, start with a tbone with some vegan cheese on top before working up to the real deal in increments. Cold sweats from meat withdrawal.

I quite like this idea people need a glidepath to trying vegan food, like some sort of gateway, start with a tbone with some vegan cheese on top before working up to the real deal in increments. Cold sweats from meat withdrawal.
It's a fairly well established theory of behaviour change. Admittedly the diagram doesn't contain all of the nuance. But yes it's a glidepath.
behaviour_change_cycle-1.png

Not clear on what you mean.
I mean that nobody needs to work up to it by having a vegan meal with a pork sausage in it. Or indeed some beef mince added. It's not 12 steps to sobriety. It's not even giving up meat and dairy forever. Its absolutely mental to think sticking vegan cheese on a beef burger is some sort of strike for the environment. I mean I'm not arsed in slightest but it's a marketing gimmick designed to be provocative and pretending anything else is obviously bollocks

I mean that nobody needs to work up to it by having a vegan meal with a pork sausage in it. Or indeed some beef mince added. It's not 12 steps to sobriety. It's not even giving up meat and dairy forever. Its absolutely mental to think sticking vegan cheese on a beef burger is some sort of strike for the environment. I mean I'm not arsed in slightest but it's a marketing gimmick designed to be provocative and pretending anything else is obviously bollocks
But it's not just sticking some vegan cheese on a meat burger is it as a strike for the environment? It's giving people the opportunity to try a vegan burger alongside a meat burger.

Need to be more precise in your analysis, as what you're stating is a misrepresentation. Do you think the vegan vs meat burger might get some people to think about going for a full vegan burger next time? And yes, there is marketing involved, there is also the novelty factor.

This whole stuff about it being just a marketing gimmick is a red herring IMO - I'm not quite clear what people actually mean by that - is it harmful in some way? Is it not going to get some people thinking that actually that vegan part of the meal wasn't bad and I might go full vegan next time?

ETA - it might not change the world but as a business that brews a huge variety of interesting beers (inc. vegan beers) as well as having a really diverse vegetarian/vegan/meat menu, is it not worth trying something? If businesses didn't stick their necks out and try these things, we'd have a very dull range of things to buy.

But it's not just sticking some vegan cheese on a meat burger is it as a strike for the environment? It's giving people the opportunity to try a vegan burger alongside a meat burger.

Need to be more precise in your analysis, as what you're stating is a misrepresentation. Do you think the vegan vs meat burger might get some people to think about going for a full vegan burger next time? And yes, there is marketing involved, there is also the novelty factor.

This whole stuff about it being just a marketing gimmick is a red herring IMO - I'm not quite clear what people actually mean by that - is it harmful in some way? Is it not going to get some people thinking that actually that vegan part of the meal wasn't bad and I might go full vegan next time?

I think you've misunderstood. This is a burger made of a mix of beef mince and beyond meat mince. It isn't two seperate burgers, it's not trying 'a vegan burger alongside a meat burger'. It's just a burger. It will taste just like a burger. Just with vegan cheese and a twatty bun. Get a grip.

I think you've misunderstood. This is a burger made of a mix of beef mince and beyond meat mince. It isn't two seperate burgers, it's not trying 'a vegan burger alongside a meat burger'. It's just a burger. It will taste just like a burger. Just with vegan cheese and a twatty bun. Get a grip.
I haven't misunderstood. Thought that was cleared up a few pages ago.

vegan burger.PNG vegan brgr.PNG

I haven't misunderstood. Thought that was cleared up a few pages ago.

View attachment 186385 View attachment 186387
Dunno where you've taken that from but this is from their own website. It's called the 50/50 hybrid burger because it's beef mince and vegan mince. That photo clearly shows one patty. The other thing is a potato rosti mate
034fd9aae9da79bfafa0c283f584c89c.jpg

Dunno where you've taken that from but this is from their own website. It's called the 50/50 hybrid burger because it's beef mince and vegan mince. That photo clearly shows one patty. The other thing is a potato rosti mate
034fd9aae9da79bfafa0c283f584c89c.jpg

Well, graciously admit the national newspaper I took that from may have misinformed.

Looks like I was wrong (you don't hear that often here do you??) :D Always happy to admit that...

There's at least three of the nationals that describe is as two burgers - meat and vegan.

I might write to them and suggest that the two patty idea is a better one.

While not still carrying as much weight, still think it is a positive move for the vegan curious myself. But then we don't all agree here do we?

Back
Top Bottom