Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BrewDog: yet another hip company using 'rebel' language to sell its stuff

Still no accounts filed.

But looking at the other companies for Brewdog, looks like they all have accounts due by the end of September. Including the one called JBW(77) which handles properties (from memory, I can't remember which ones).

This accounts stuff happens literally all the time. Maybe their tax manager left and the new one isn't on top of it yet?

I mean, its not great, but really hardly that unusual.

This accounts stuff happens literally all the time. Maybe their tax manager left and the new one isn't on top of it yet?

I mean, its not great, but really hardly that unusual.
Yes, I know it happens frequently. But to a plc such as this? They have a CFO in place, this is a basic function the finance team should be set up to do, easily. That it hasn't been done along with potential C-suite turmoil speaks to a likely wider issue.

Yes, I know it happens frequently. But to a plc such as this? They have a CFO in place, this is a basic function the finance team should be set up to do, easily. That it hasn't been done along with potential C-suite turmoil speaks to a likely wider issue.

They should, and I imagine the CFO wouldn't be directly responsible, they will have someone to do that. Usually the notice period in tax at a senior level would be 3 months, so if theres a changeover in staff, can quite easily fall behind to that extent. Also, large PLCs are much more likely to be negotiated with by HMRC than pursued for their full owings.
Its shit but that's how it goes often.

I asked ChatGPT about Brewdog's punk credentials.

BrewDog, the craft beer company known for its rebellious and edgy marketing, has long branded itself as "punk" in the craft beer industry. They famously launched their flagship beer, "Punk IPA," and have often embraced a countercultural image. However, the question of whether BrewDog is truly "punk as fuck" is a bit more complex.

Points Supporting the "Punk" Label:​

1. Anti-Establishment Marketing: BrewDog has consistently positioned itself as an anti-establishment brand, often using bold, provocative language and marketing stunts. For example, they launched a "punk" beer in protest of the UK's alcohol tax laws and have held high-profile events to challenge traditional beer norms.
  2. Challenging the Status Quo: They have consistently pushed the boundaries of what craft beer can be, experimenting with flavors and beer styles that were unconventional at the time of their release.
  3. Social Responsibility: BrewDog has made efforts to address social issues, such as becoming a carbon-negative company and launching initiatives like their "Equity for Punks" crowdfunding campaign, which gave fans a stake in the company.

Points Against the "Punk" Label:​

1. Commercial Success: BrewDog's massive growth and commercial success, including opening numerous bars globally and partnering with larger corporations, have led some to question how "punk" they really are. As they scale up, some critics argue that they've become part of the establishment they once rebelled against.
  2. Corporate Criticism: There have been criticisms regarding BrewDog's corporate culture, including allegations of a toxic work environment and mistreatment of employees, which some see as contradictory to their punk ethos.
  3. Mainstream Appeal: As BrewDog has grown, their products have become widely available in supermarkets and mainstream outlets, which some argue dilutes their original countercultural identity.

Conclusion:​

While BrewDog has certainly adopted a "punk" attitude in its branding and business practices, the extent to which it remains true to that ethos is debated. Their success and corporate controversies have complicated their image, making them a more mainstream entity than the "punk" label might suggest. Whether they are "punk as fuck" or not may depend on how you define "punk" in the context of a successful, global business.

They should, and I imagine the CFO wouldn't be directly responsible, they will have someone to do that. Usually the notice period in tax at a senior level would be 3 months, so if theres a changeover in staff, can quite easily fall behind to that extent. Also, large PLCs are much more likely to be negotiated with by HMRC than pursued for their full owings.
Its shit but that's how it goes often.
The CFO is ultimately responsible for running the finance function though. Non-filing of the accounts due to staff leaving would be a known risk to the business and consequently a mitigation plan should have been in place. Also, in a company that size I wouldn't expect the whole thing to fall apart just because one person leaves when it's inconvenient to the company. There should be at least a couple of people in the finance function who can get the accounts audited and ready for filing. And if the finance function is in such a shambles that accounts filing cannot be completed, it could be outsourced to a firm of accountants who aren't the auditors.

The fact that they haven’t filed means they almost certainly have not done so on purpose. It's highly unlikely that somebody forgot. One of the most common strategic reasons for filing late is that you want to use the money for something else and the cost of the penalties are lower than borrowing.

Last edited:
The fact that they haven’t filed means they almost certainly have not done so on purpose. It's highly unlikely that somebody forgot. One of the most common strategic reasons for filing late is that you want to use the money for something else and the cost of the penalties are lower than borrowing.
I didn't say they forgot.

Disappointed to see my local (normally excellent) British Heart were attempting to sell this today:

IMG_4365.jpeg

If ever a donated garment belonged in the rag recycling bin, this was it!

Look what's popped into my Brixton Buzz inbox 🤣 🤣 🤣
They must be desperate.

My name is ____ and I manage the BrewDog's affiliate programme.

BrewDog is a multinational brewery and pub chain founded in 2007. Known for its bold and rebellious marketing, BrewDog has positioned itself as a pioneer in the craft beer revolution, with a strong emphasis on independent brewing, sustainability, and innovative business practices.

We're hosted on Awin with brand ID: 19216.

We'll be more than happy to start one successful partnership!

Who in your team will be best to speak to?

We as an agency also manage 50+ brands, e.g. Revolution Beauty, Avent, Medik8, and more.

:D Have you replied with a link to this thread?

He’d only be replying to a bot. That’s an auto-outreach cold email that’s probably been sent to 50,000 people. Ed’s got himself onto an email marketing list.

We send out about half a million of those a year. Triple that if you count the responses to people who interact with them and get put into the sequence.

It’s a computer program that responds with AI until someone shows interest. A real person won’t get involved until then.

It’s very clever. Genius even.

Last edited:
He’d only be replying to a bot. That’s an auto-outreach cold email that’s probably been sent to 50,000 people. Ed’s got himself onto an email marketing list.

We send out about half a million of those a year. Triple that if you count the responses to people who interact with them and get put into the sequence.

It’s a computer program that responds with AI until someone shows interest. A real person won’t get involved until then.

It’s very clever.
Its not. It is very annoying

Its not. It is very annoying

Just click ‘unsubscribe’. That takes you out of the sequence and off the list, although if you’re getting stuff like that, you’re likely on scores of lists.

People think that sending a rude message is a good idea but that doesn’t get “read” by a person and just gets logged as a response. That puts you into the next sequence, so you get more emails.

Back
Top Bottom