Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BrewDog: yet another hip company using 'rebel' language to sell its stuff

Its not. It is very annoying
It's total bullshit too.

It's obvious to anyone who knows how the world works that it's clearly not a spam bot as they wouldn't include their personal details and phone number.

But only a total and utter cunt would applaud a shitty company spamming as 'genius,' even when they've got their facts all wrong. And only an even bigger cunt spams people regularly as part of their business.

Lol!

Of course they’re going to include genuine contact details. Ours do too. If you decide to call them, great. That’s the whole point!

I love this. The fact that the recipient thinks it’s personal means they’re getting it right, but there are some huge giveaways in that email. It’s not even particularly sophisticated.

Firstly, read it. There’s absolutely nothing personal to the recipient. You could send that to anyone. Secondly, it refers to “your team”, which you don’t have. Clumsy, but who cares? It's generic, and designed to filter-out people they don't want to speak to.

It’s a numbers game. Typically a campaign might target 50,000 people initially. Ten percent won’t even get delivered. They’ll go to defunct addresses or get bopped by spam filters. Eighty percent will get binned immediately and of those, 30% will bother to "unsubscribe". Those that don't, go into another sequence for later use; maybe “did you miss my last email?”

That still leaves around 5000 people who will open it. Of those, 90 percent will have no interest and do nothing more. They go into a different sequence for us to approach in other ways (possibly the “did you miss …?” sequence). Some of the others will respond and go into yet another sequence which will involve asking questions and further filtering which goes to different stages/sequences.

Do you seriously think that Brewdog are targeting YOU personally and individually? Of course they’re not. Your details have been lifted off the internet by a computer program that has probably identified you as being involved in promotions or events involving alcohol, and therefore possibly useful to people who sell booze.

We design and market software. If we develop a product designed to appeal to accountants, we’ll set up a website or blog that sells it. However, we need to get the right people to visit those sites.

We create lists of everyone who might fit the profile (CFOs, CTOs, Heads of Accounts, etc etc). The accuracy of the lists depends on the sources and a load of other factors but there will always be people on them that are completely wrong. I’ve been getting spammed for lawnmower parts recently. I haven’t unsubscribed because they also send out some quite interesting nature content. It’s an effective tactic to include some unrelated general interest stuff to keep people engaged and discourage them from unsubscribing.

We might send out an email to 50,000 CFOs saying “Want to know the 5 biggest mistakes CFOs make when buying payment software? Click here for our report”.

Loads of those will hit the inboxes of completely the wrong people (as the Brewdog one has here). However, quite a few will click for the report which takes them to the website and we get notified about who those people are.

Now we have a list of a few hundred CFOs who are interested in payment software; we know the email addresses and in many cases their phone numbers are correct, and the BD teams can market to them in a much more targeted and personal fashion.

The above is extremely simplified and there are many stages to campaigns like this, but AI is developing really quickly and we're able to send what looks like very personalised content with almost zero actual human interaction.

Brewdog have not targeted you because they think you’re their guy. Whoever’s name is on that email has almost certainly never heard of you. You’re one of thousands!

Last edited:
Lol!

Of course they’re going to include genuine contact details. Ours do too. If you decide to call them, great. That’s the whole point!

I love this. The fact that the recipient thinks it’s personal means they’re getting it right, but there are some huge giveaways in that email. It’s not even particularly sophisticated.

Firstly, read it. There’s absolutely nothing personal to the recipient. You could send that to anyone. Secondly, it refers to “your team”, which you don’t have. Clumsy, but who cares? It's generic, and designed to filter-out people they don't want to speak to.

It’s a numbers game. Typically a campaign might target 50,000 people initially. Ten percent won’t even get delivered. They’ll go to defunct addresses or get bopped by spam filters. Eighty percent will get binned immediately and of those, 30% will bother to "unsubscribe". Those that don't, go into another sequence for later use; maybe “did you miss my last email?”

That still leaves around 5000 people who will open it. Of those, 90 percent will have no interest and do nothing more. They go into a different sequence for us to approach in other ways (possibly the “did you miss …?” sequence). Some of the others will respond and go into yet another sequence which will involve asking questions and further filtering which goes to different stages/sequences.

Do you seriously think that Brewdog are targeting YOU personally and individually? Of course they’re not. Your details have been lifted off the internet by a computer program that has probably identified you as being involved in promotions or events involving alcohol, and therefore possibly useful to people who sell booze.

We design and market software. If we develop a product designed to appeal to accountants, we’ll set up a website or blog that sells it. However, we need to get the right people to visit those sites.

We create lists of everyone who might fit the profile (CFOs, CTOs, Heads of Accounts, etc etc). The accuracy of the lists depends on the sources and a load of other factors but there will always be people on them that are completely wrong. I’ve been getting spammed for lawnmower parts recently. I haven’t unsubscribed because they also send out some quite interesting nature content. It’s an effective tactic to include some unrelated general interest stuff to keep people engaged and discourage them from unsubscribing.

We might send out an email to 50,000 CFOs saying “Want to know the 5 biggest mistakes CFOs make when buying payment software? Click here for our report”.

Loads of those will hit the inboxes of completely the wrong people (as the Brewdog one has here). However, quite a few will click for the report which takes them to the website and we get notified about who those people are.

Now we have a list of a few hundred CFOs who are interested in payment software; we know the email addresses and in many cases their phone numbers are correct, and the BD teams can market to them in a much more targeted and personal fashion.

The above is extremely simplified and there are many stages to campaigns like this, but AI is developing really quickly and we're able to send what looks like very personalised content with almost zero actual human interaction.

Brewdog have not targeted you because they think you’re their guy. Whoever’s name is on that email has almost certainly never heard of you. You’re one of thousands!
You're now banned from this thread for obvious trolling, which is against the clearly set out rules in the FAQ.

And you should feel utterly ashamed of yourself for being a self confessed spammer. Disgusting.

You're now banned from this thread for obvious trolling, which is against the clearly set out rules in the FAQ.

And you should feel utterly ashamed of yourself for being a self confessed spammer. Disgusting.
I am no fan of @Spymaster’s bullshit on this (and other) threads. He actually isn’t trolling here and it’s one of the few times I think he is being entirely honest. It’s not a particularly surprising revelation of marketing tactics, but it’s a highly realistic one.

Admitting to being a spammer is a different matter, but not one that is against the FAQ.

The electronic version of door leafletting; can't really see how this use of personal data conforms to GDPR but, then again, I know virtually nothing about the topic. What an unrewarding job to have.
Years back I went to a security conference and since then I've been on an increasing number of email lists for eg arms conferences in dubai. Very interesting to see how things are just as Spymaster described. It may be an unrewarding job but so few jobs are socially useful and I have no doubt that in monetary terms it's paid rather better than you might suppose. Sure, it doesn't look like it conforms to gdpr. Maybe he who must not be named (mutual ignore) should pursue this with the assistance if a solicitor. But I expect he'd rather froth and moan instead of doing anything about it.

Years back I went to a security conference and since then I've been on an increasing number of email lists for eg arms conferences in dubai. Very interesting to see how things are just as Spymaster described. It may be an unrewarding job but so few jobs are socially useful and I have no doubt that in monetary terms it's paid rather better than you might suppose. Sure, it doesn't look like it conforms to gdpr. Maybe he who must not be named (mutual ignore) should pursue this with the assistance if a solicitor. But I expect he'd rather froth and moan instead of doing anything about it.
I receive loads of emails about 'academic' conferences, the vast majority of which are of absolutely no interest. It's illuminating to find out why this is happening.

I am no fan of @Spymaster’s bullshit on this (and other) threads. He actually isn’t trolling here and it’s one of the few times I think he is being entirely honest. It’s not a particularly surprising revelation of marketing tactics, but it’s a highly realistic one.

Admitting to being a spammer is a different matter, but not one that is against the FAQ.
His post was probably the most interesting post of this thread!

As a member of the CIM and the ISMM, I’ve never been involved in direct marketing nor have I ever studied it. It was interesting to read Spymaster talking about his involvement in direct marketing. It seems that the logic applied is very similar to that in general selling. It seems harsh to judge him so aggressively for doing a job that thousands do but using different pathways. Would we judge leaflet drops the same way? The methods and logic are the same, it’s only the delivery that is different.

As a member of the CIM and the ISMM, I’ve never been involved in direct marketing nor have I ever studied it. It was interesting to read Spymaster talking about his involvement in direct marketing. It seems that the logic applied is very similar to that in general selling. It seems harsh to judge him so aggressively for doing a job that thousands do but using different pathways. Would we judge leaflet drops the same way? The methods and logic are the same, it’s only the delivery that is different.
I don't think leaflet droppers are bound by GDPR, are they?

How was that post an example of trolling? I thought it was quite interesting explaining how this marketing stuff works. even companies I like and have bought stuff from do email marketing.

He's welcome to continue his discussion by starting a relevant thread. This is a thread about Brewdog, not mass email marketing/spamming.

The spam prompted you to post about it and then a discussion started from that so if raising brand awareness is an aim of spamming then maybe it was a genius move?
It made me think that the company are even bigger cunts than I originally thought. If you think that a multi million company employing spamming is a 'genius move ' then you live in a different world.

Spammers are scum, and always have been. Any one spamming me goes down in my estimation, to the point that I'd likely to block them/boycott their products.

But that's a genius move, right?

Ironic that Spymaster is banned for one of their least trolling posts on this thread

(If you want to dispute a moderation take it to the feedback forum)
It was a culmative ban after multiple warnings.

You'd be hard pressed to find any similar forum that displayed such tolerance for someone breaking its rules on a near daily rate.

Back
Top Bottom