Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BrewDog: yet another hip company using 'rebel' language to sell its stuff

Given the foundations on which Urban 75 is built, I'd say that once we've got to a brewery being backed by the Chair of the Adam Smith Institute writing in the Spectator, then either:

*@editor has been playing the long game and it's actually been a right wing front all along;
*or there's now no feasible way for anybody to defend BrewDog outside the self-identified trolls and wind up merchants

Anyway, I've blocked the most tedious of trolls from this thread so it doesn't matter what that side say really. But the fundamental point is that we've got a brewery very few people like, engaging in business practices nobody agrees with, now being defended by organisations nobody wants to be associated with.

This thread being locked must not be that far behind, I'd wager. We're done here.

the foundations on which Urban 75 is built,
Increasingly frequently see this kind of nonsense. I'd recommend reading the site's own FAQ:

The site has grown organically over the years and has no preset agenda or long term set aim. Similarly, urban75 has no affiliation with any political party, philosophy or campaign group, whether they be mainstream, independent, overground, underground or wombling free. For that reason we haven't got a snappy 'mission statement'.

No, I've only taken to stout drinking in my 60s :eek:

Having tried the Nigerian version, I've alighted on this as my favourite and I certainly wouldn't mix it with anything...

View attachment 407808

You can this at W.Indian offies in parts of Leeds (& it’s everywhere at the Carnival) - great stuff!

i've seen it in my local morrisons (and wokingham doesn't really have a big caribbean community) - can't remember if i've tried it. i will give it a go next time i'm there.

I absolutely adored the nutty , brown mild that Shepherd Neame produced back in the day. Not only delicious but also cheap and the skint teenager's half of mild could last a long time if necessary! I was distraught when the stopped production of draught mild.

:(

not sure i ever met shepherd neame mild.

i'm somewhat :( that batemans (wainfleet, lincs) have stopped doing their mild - was probably one of the best dark milds i've encountered.

Not wishing to go down a stout rabbit hole but I really miss Murphy’s and Beamish stouts - much better than Huinness in many respects.

again :(

Like I said, I've got trolls blocked.
Trying to rewrite the history of a community of diverse viewpoints so as to make out that it not only has a consistent and agreed agenda but one that matches yours, strikes me as trolling behaviour; a very obvious provocation indeed.

The Spectator are backing brew dog:

Jesus, what a prick:
The company will no longer pay the ‘real living wage’ – a voluntary pledge, cooked up from a charity staffed by smiley types who wouldn’t blink if all their private-sector ‘partners’ went bust tomorrow and had to be nationalised in the name of love and cuddles and fairness.

The ‘real living wage’ is separate from the actual statutory minimum wage for those under 23, and the actual statutory ‘living wage’ as calculated by those callous Scrooges at the ‘Low Pay Commission’ in the Department for Business.

In short, the ‘real’ living wage is not the real living wage. It is a wheeze to try to coerce businesses into paying people more than the market gives them.
I don't think I've ever seen anyone trying to use "did you know that the living wage is different from the minimum wage?" as a gotcha before. Also neglects to mention that the real living wage came first and the tory rebrand of the minimum wage as a "living wage" only happened in 2015/2016 as an attempt to confuse and dilute the actual living wage.

Not wishing to go down a stout rabbit hole but I really miss Murphy’s and Beamish stouts

as a result of looking to see what happened to beamish, the concept of 'irish red ale' came up. sounds interesting - i've only been to ireland once and don't remember seeing them, but we might have dismissed it as keg beer.

does irish red ale exist in england?

as a result of looking to see what happened to beamish, the concept of 'irish red ale' came up. sounds interesting - i've only been to ireland once and don't remember seeing them, but we might have dismissed it as keg beer.

does irish red ale exist in england?
Iirc, yes could get regular Beamish and "red" (on rare occasion) in London. Was an Irish pub around Covent Garden that used to serve it.

Beamish is easier to find in Cork.

It's disgusting.

How can this be justified?

Be interesting to see the spin its supporters put on this latest development.

(Actually, no. No it won't.)
Making a loss in the last financial year is most definitely not an excuse. If you can’t run a business at a profit without paying shite to your employees, your company is non-viable and you’re not very good a businessman.

Very much enjoying you lot getting so wound-up by this out of sheer ignorance. :D

There are only about 14,000 employers in the country that are signed up to the RLW. That means there are millions that aren't, and that will almost certainly include most, if not all, of the pubs that you drink in.

As Teuchter quite rightly points out, by your actions in frequenting these establishments, you are all complicit in the underpayment of their workers and should be ashamed of yourselves.

At least BD paid it for a few years.

Last edited:
Making a loss in the last financial year is most definitely not an excuse. If you can’t run a business at a profit without paying shite to your employees, your company is non-viable and you’re not very good a businessman.

I don’t disagree but you’ve heard of tax credits right. Yeah I know. Taxpayers money topping up for profit enterprises That’s not mention housing benefit. Or universal credit as now. Sucking the taxpayers teat. To go a bit American. Libertarian catalyst American. I’m a bit pissed. Noton brew dog. i’m a simpleton, but it’s always been baffling company can make profit and still cut wages because not enough profit. Hayhoe it makes sense to someone.

That said, I don’t mind the wind up posts.:D I went to Wetherspoons earlier. drunk Stella. where are my ethics. Oh behind the sofa.

If more people had given Brewdog positive feedback about their RLW policy while they were still doing it, then their staff wouldn't be facing a wage cut now.

People who failed to give that positive feedback should go into their nearest Brewdog now and apologise to the staff in person. Not sign petitions from their armchairs.

If more people had given Brewdog positive feedback about their RLW policy while they were still doing it, then their staff wouldn't be facing a wage cut now.

People who failed to give that positive feedback should go into their nearest Brewdog now and apologise to the staff in person. Not sign petitions from their armchairs.
This isn't a humorous situation. Realise you can't resist double down opportunities, but the fact is - it's not down to urbanites or drinkers.

It's down to the bosses.

Shame on you for your trolling and sneering.

It's not just chains, Kal. The industry in general is infamous for paying staff the absolute minimum or even less.
I know Spy, but I can guarantee you that the majority of local pubs I frequent are independent and community minded and do not pay their staff badly relative to the going wage for that kind of job in Bristol.

Also there is a huge difference between a big big national chain, that also sells its produce in Supermarkets and a stand alone independent pub.

Even if some independents do only pay the minimum wage, there are other benefits (certainly in the pubs I frequent) like a friendly supportive work environment, which does not seem to apply to brew dog according to this thread.

Brewdog are a giant and surely are in a much better financial position then small independents and pay the 44p ph difference?

It seems like a quality/ quantity issue ?

I know Spy, but I can guarantee you that the majority of local pubs I frequent are independent and community minded and do not pay their staff badly relative to the going wage for that kind of job in Bristol.

Also there is a huge difference between a big big national chain, that also sells its produce in Supermarkets and a stand alone independent pub.

Even if some independents do only pay the minimum wage, there are other benefits (certainly in the pubs I frequent) like a friendly supportive work environment, which does not seem to apply to brew dog according to this thread.

Brewdog are a giant and surely are in a much better financial position then small independents and pay the 44p ph difference?

It seems like a quality/ quantity issue ?

I can't agree with that at all - how is it OK for independents to pay their staff less based on some sort of general vibe qualifier? If it's not on it's not on surely?

Back
Top Bottom