Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BrewDog: yet another hip company using 'rebel' language to sell its stuff

Statement released by Brewdog boss

As I've been saying:

• Not a single person in our business has had a pay cut as was widely and falsely reported.

The controversy last week was because we have only increased our national bar team wages 20.4% since March 2022 and not the 26% that would have been required to retain a Real Living Wage status.
  • In London our entry level position has a starting package of £26,000+ Our starting packages remain better than those of 90% of our competitors.

People here just don't understand what they've been posting about.

It IS a pay cut in real terms because of the sharp increases in the cost of living, just like my recent 2% payrisenis still effectively a pay cut, even when backdated til April 2023. Many of my colleagues are fooled by this and considered the backpay, issued on payday in December, to be a Christmas bonus.

It IS a pay cut in real terms because of the sharp increases in the cost of living, just like my recent 2% payrisenis still effectively a pay cut, even when backdated til April 2023. Many of my colleagues are fooled by this and considered the backpay, issued on payday in December, to be a Christmas bonus.

That's not what people have been meaning though. There've been media posts suggesting that people's salaries will go down, and that's what they've bought into. And that still misses the point doesn't it?

Krtek and the gang have been up in arms because BD have withdrawn from a voluntary agreement to overpay their staff by industry standards, even though they continue to do so, albeit not as generously as they did over the last 10 years.

Last edited:
Aye, if the pay raise isn't matching or beating the rate of inflation, it's still a pay cut in real terms.

Statement released by Brewdog boss

The piece of fucking shit

James Watt said it had been an “incredibly tough week” after reports broke that he had enjoyed a luxury holiday in the Maldives the month before announcing the wage changes.

As I've been saying:

People here just don't understand what they've been posting about.
On the contrary, I think that many on this thread understand completely that, in order to make themselves attractive as an investment opportunity with their impending IPO, the business has to ensure that on-going labour costs are lowered in order to achieve the profits necessary to secure the dividends that investors expect.

Yes, the business will have been trimming costs wherever possible over the past few months to make the business look as attractive as possible on paper to maximise the chances of a successful IPO or external investment.

When did they sell a large chunk to that hedge fund or whatever it was? An IPO is an expected exit strategy.

On the contrary, I think that many on this thread understand completely that, in order to make themselves attractive as an investment opportunity with their impending IPO, the business has to ensure that on-going labour costs are lowered in order to achieve the profits necessary to secure the dividends that investors expect.

And they've done it whilst still paying staff significantly more than almost all of their competitors. Genius!

that they're cutting labour costs to maximise the profit necessary to ensure the prospect of dividends attract enough IPO investors.

They’re looking to control operational costs. With an IPO on the horizon it’s not a huge stretch to assume that’s informing their decisions.

So given the hedge fund lot bought a chunk in 2017, ignoring the COVID years (say 3 for the sake of argument) then seeking an exit after year 4 onwards is a typical strategy - if it makes a certain amount of money

Given that this thread is pretty strong evidence that most posters don't even know what the real living wage is, I think we can be sceptical of claims that their local pays it.

My default and reasonable assumption is that all posters on this thread habitually drink in pubs which fail to pay the "real living wage". That is, unless they can show that their favoured pub is registered on that website.

Back
Top Bottom