Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BrewDog: yet another hip company using 'rebel' language to sell its stuff

My default and reasonable assumption is that all posters on this thread habitually drink in pubs which fail to pay the "real living wage". That is, unless they can show that their favoured pub is registered on that website.
My response is simple, I don’t drink in pubs, except on very rare occasions when I’m invited out for pre event drinks. I haven’t been in a BD pub for well over a year.

My default and reasonable assumption is that all posters on this thread habitually drink in pubs which fail to pay the "real living wage". That is, unless they can show that their favoured pub is registered on that website.

For sure.

I think that ends this chapter quite comprehensively.

25 - 1

I wont drink in Spoons nor Brew Dog, occasionally Nicholsons but will always choose a free house over a chain and hope the staff
get treated better.
This is also why I use certain shops and not others; in the hope and expectation that the staff get looked after better.

I wont drink in Spoons nor Brew Dog, occasionally Nicholsons but will always choose a free house over a chain and hope the staff
get treated better.
This is also why I use certain shops and not others; in the hope and expectation that the staff get looked after better.
Wherever I'm DJing, I do my bit for the staff by giving them free shots all night from my 'backstage bar.'

I'd recommend that everyone look up the pubs they go to here. You can set it as a map view. If your favourite pub is not shown, then boycott it, if you are serious.

If someone else makes a claim about a particular pub you can check it there.

It's interesting to see how few pubs in Brixton show up: in fact almost none.
That website lists my local Barclays and Nationwide branches. Both of which closed about 5 years ago. So forgive me for not trusting it.

That website lists my local Barclays and Nationwide branches. Both of which closed about 5 years ago. So forgive me for not trusting it.
Barclays and Nationwide are both accredited employers so I guess that the details of open branches is not up to date.

I don't see how this affects anyone's ability to look up their favourite pub.

Barclays and Nationwide are both accredited employers so I guess that the details of open branches is not up to date.

I think we can forgive the LWF for that.

I'd be willing to bet that nobody who is posting on this thread, aside from those who drink in Brewdog, has ever knowingly frequented a RLW paying public house.

According to that website the only place around here that pays RLW is the car supermarket where I have bought my last three cars (though of course teuchter doesn't appove of people buying cars), so I imagine that none of the local pubs do. Adding together that means I've spent about £50K over about 15 years at a RLW employer whilst I certainly haven't spent £50K on booze in that time. So that does that put me in the good column for supporting RLW employers or the bad column for supporting non-RLW ones?

According to that website the only place around here that pays RLW is the car supermarket where I have bought my last three cars (though of course teuchter doesn't appove of people buying cars), so I imagine that none of the local pubs do. Adding together that means I've spent about £50K over about 15 years at a RLW employer whilst I certainly haven't spent £50K on booze in that time. So that does that put me in the good column for supporting RLW employers or the bad column for supporting non-RLW ones?
No, it probably just means your local pubs cannot be arsed to get accredited, whether they pay the RLW or not.

I don't see how this affects anyone's ability to look up their favourite pub.
Well, the local Brewdog isn't on it so it's either nonsense or they updated it this week.

There's no pubs in the whole Reading area that pay the living wage according to that site. I think it may be shit.

I don't drink in pubs.

There's no pubs in the whole Reading area that pay the living wage according to that site.

That's completely unsurprising.

BD was among a vanishingly small number of RLW pubs in the country. This proves the point that for all the bluster about workers rights on here, nobody really gives a toss.

It's a fake vendetta that impressionable fools have allowed themselves to be dragged into.

Let's be honest, we all use businesses that underpay staff don't we, and we don't bother to check. Anyone claiming different is a liar.

That's not to point fingers because we can't realistically control for that in the modern world. Judging anyone going to Brewdog or making out they're some sort of particular evil in this respect is a bit silly though.

Looking at that website, there appears to be one shop on Oxford Street registered. Richer Sounds are registered. They've always had a rep for treating staff well. But yeah, most retail staff are treated appallingly. TBH my default assumption in any shop or pub I'm buying from is that the staff are probably treated like shit, as I was when I worked in retail/hospitality.

That list is far from comprehensive, of course. I see Lidl aren't registered. They pay better than the likes of Tesco or Sainsbury's.

Looking at that website, there appears to be one shop on Oxford Street registered. Richer Sounds are registered. They've always had a rep for treating staff well. But yeah, most retail staff are treated appallingly. TBH my default assumption in any shop or pub I'm buying from is that the staff are probably treated like shit, as I was when I worked in retail/hospitality.

Of course. Anyone who expects us to believe that they know what all the bar staff are being paid at the hostelries they frequent, how that compares with BD salaries, and how it stacks up to the RLW, is going to get a massive Jimmy Hill!

It's the smaller traders who can be the dodgiest, let's face it. I worked in a video library in Brockley in the 1990s, which gave off the vibe of a trendy place with a good world cinema section staffed by people who knew about film. Some of the customers assumed that the people working there owned it. I was paid £3 an hour cash in hand.

It's the smaller traders who can be the dodgiest, let's face it. I worked in a video library in Brockley in the 1990s, which gave off the vibe of a trendy place with a good world cinema section staffed by people who knew about film. Some of the customers assumed that the people working there owned it. I was paid £3 an hour cash in hand.

That’s triple what I got in my first job 😩

Back
Top Bottom