Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BrewDog: yet another hip company using 'rebel' language to sell its stuff

I drink at 'spoons and I'd bet that they don't pay a living wage. But then I also don't troll forums defending Wetherspoons and claiming they have "bRiLlIaNt mArKeTiNg"
I looked this up before when we had some thing or other about Spoons. They don't pay the living wage, of course. But their pay and conditions are more or less identical to those of other chains like Greene King, who charge twice the price for a pint. They're all pretty shit, basically, and them being more expensive to drink in does not mean they're necessarily better employers.

Spoons also give you the chance to buy beer made by small independent brewers, which most pubs don't do. The owner is a total bellend, but so what?

I looked this up before when we had some thing or other about Spoons. They don't pay the living wage, of course. But their pay and conditions are more or less identical to those of other chains like Greene King, who charge twice the price for a pint. They're all pretty shit, basically, and them being more expensive to drink in does not mean they're necessarily better employers.

Spoons also give you the chance to buy beer made by small independent brewers, which most pubs don't do. The owner is a total bellend, but so what?

Nothing wrong at all with drinking in Weatherspoons, but anyone who does, and still criticises BDs payment practices, is an inconsistent, hypocritical ringpiece.

Weatherspoons drinkers should either back Brewdog or recuse themselves from this thread.

Nothing wrong at all with drinking in Weatherspoons, but anyone who does, and still criticises BDs payment practices, is an inconsistent, hypocritical ringpiece.

Weatherspoons drinkers should either back Brewdog or recuse themselves from this thread.
So, you are not critical of BD's reversal of its commitment to the RLW?

So, you are not critical of BD's reversal of its commitment to the RLW?

Interesting question, Broggers. To answer it we need to look at what has actually happened as a result of their withdrawal from it.

What it boils down to is that they've increased their staff's wages by 20% over the last 2 years rather than the 26% that would have kept their RLW accreditation. That's still one fuck of a pay hike and far more than workers in most other sectors have achieved. A 26% pay rise would be unsustainable for many businesses, which is why only about 14,000 out of 5 million businesses in the UK are committed to the RLW.

I'm critical of their decision to withdraw from the RLW in the same way that I'm critical of the government for not reducing income tax to 10%.

I think it's perfectly legitimate to criticise a business for low pay wherever you happen to drink. I don't think that's hypocritical.

I do think though that it is hypocrisy to criticise the people that drink there, dishonest to make out there's something unique about Brewdog in that respect, and a pointless dead end to make out it happens because Watt is a Bad Man.

Interesting question, Broggers. To answer it we need to look at what has actually happened as a result of their withdrawal from it.

What it boils down to is that they've increased their staff's wages by 20% over the last 2 years rather than the 26% that would have kept their RLW accreditation. That's still one fuck of a pay hike and far more than workers in most other sectors have achieved. A 26% pay rise would be unsustainable for many businesses, which is why only about 14,000 out of 5 million businesses in the UK are committed to the RLW.

I'm critical of their decision to withdraw from the RLW in the same way that I'm critical of the government for not reducing income tax to 10%.
I see.
So, by your own criteria for self-recusing, that means you've not frequented a 'spoons?

Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. And I don't think he meant the beer.

There's a whole bunch of questionable assumptions in that post. Biggest one is the idea that businesses pay as much as they can afford to pay rather than as little as they can get away with.
Earlier this week the FT piece on BD's decision made this observation:

1705661129108.png

source (type title into Google if they £-wall you)

It's alright, I can see why, having criticised BDs payment practices, you would be reluctant to admit that you had drunk in 'spoons as this would place you in the category of "inconsistent, hypocritical ringpiece" by your own definition.

:hmm: Are you sat in one right now?

Hic 🍻

Nope. Lost me again.

I might have to take away the goal you scored the other day if this continues, Broggers.
I've drunk in Weatherspoons establishments

I'm critical of their decision to withdraw from the RLW

Back
Top Bottom