Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

boardgames!

This thread hasn't been active in a while, so what better way to revive than a festive whinge about an online retailer not replacing or refunding the game I ordered that Yodel mishandled.

If anyone here is pals with the managers over at Zatu Games, I'd be every so grateful if you could persuade them to get their finger out and sort me out. Their explanation: we are conducting our own investigation into what happened with the delivery and only when that's completed will we help you. This could take days/weeks/well after xmas. Dunno what the law says.

If no one can help, fair enough. Please ignore and ludo on!
That sucks tbh I don't know many who use Zatu as their algorithm approach is annoying and their customer service notably lacking...

Can anyone recommend new board games that are easy to learn, don’t require much strategy, just fun, and family-friendly? Word games ideally, but others too.
(My favourite game of this sort is Articulate)

That sucks tbh I don't know many who use Zatu as their algorithm approach is annoying and their customer service notably lacking...
It certainly is. Takes them half an hour to answer the phone and the ring muzak is not pleasant. So either there are lots of people complaining, lots of people buying boardgames or two people manning the phones.

Can anyone recommend new board games that are easy to learn, don’t require much strategy, just fun, and family-friendly? Word games ideally, but others too.
(My favourite game of this sort is Articulate)
I'll second codenames.
Bananagrams is also fun in a similar way to scrabble (but much faster, less thinky, and not about knowing weird two letter words)

Not words but Dixit is a great family game - you all have a hand of cards which have a piece of art on them, one person gives a description and puts a card face down, and other players have to put a card down that they think matches that description. You then reveal all the cards and everyone except the person who gave the description votes on which card they think got put down by the person giving the description. You score points based on the voting - as the person describing the image, you want people to not vote for you, whilst the other players want to get votes on their card whilst voting for the describer themselves. It sounds a bit weird and clunky written out like that but once you've played a round it'll be obvious what's going on, and makes a great game for all ages together.

Using gems to buy mines, and leveraging them to buy more stuff. Its a really easy setup, has a few ways to win and game is arguably different each time.
Really good, really simple. It's probably the only game I've played with family and everyone has a) understood it and b) wanted to play it again.

I really want to play Nucleum despite it being monstrously huge on the table.

And complicated

And money I don't have after buying other games :D

Well, a friend with a subscription invited me on board game arena, and it seems without a subscription you can play quite a few things (minus big titles like Carcassonne and Splendor). You have the option of turn-based game (running a max of seven games) or real time.

I can create a U75 group if people are interested in joining?

Well, a friend with a subscription invited me on board game arena, and it seems without a subscription you can play quite a few things (minus big titles like Carcassonne and Splendor). You have the option of turn-based game (running a max of seven games) or real time.

I play pretty regularly with some mates. Started Ark Nova last night. BGA is the best platform for boardgames, better than steam and most, if not all, of the dedicated computer conversions.

I’m up for it. 👍

Up for this.

I'm on there as KidEternity if folks want to add me. Not a premium player, but might go that route as it's not too much for a year!

Tried playing the console version of Settlers Of Cattan yesterday (though they have now dropped ‘Settlers Of’ from the name).
It’s supposed to be the best boardgame ever or summat, but I didn’t even last the inital instruction video explaining the rules. :oops:
I suspect I will never enjoy these kinds of games, so should probably stop trying.
Some friends boardgame regularly - one has a whole wardrobe full of them, so I feel envious of the fun they have playing it in the pub.
But I just don’t have the right brain (ADHD) to concentrate on anything more complicated than snakes n ladders.
Quizzes and word/wordplay games are more my kind of thing, but they seem to be falling out of fashion in favour of overcomplicated strategic games. Shame! :(

Back
Top Bottom