Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Starfield fans ahoy!

I’ve got the laptop version of the 1070 so, its not not quite the minimum spec of 1070 ti.

Fingers crossed it can do 30+ fps at 1080p.

I've got it on gamepass but I'm not very bothered tbh. Didn't particularly like Skyrim and Fallout 4 was awful.

Why can't you fly into space? Seems weirdly backward given we've had that in Elite and NMS for years now...

The copy I found on the high seas does work although I haven't indulged as it was just for testing purposes 😐

I don't know if I can be arsed anymore. It's not really a moral thing (I've TBs of films and TV), but I've a slight concern about running dodgy executables and then you probably won't get patches etc. By the time I get round to playing this I'll probably be able to get a cheaper steam key of a third party site.

When you've spent the entirety of your life on the high seas, you get to know what releases are good and which ones aren't. At this point, I pretty much exclusively download Fitgirl repacks from 1337x. Never had a problem with viruses and so forth. Just be sensible, download releases from known releasers on credible trackers. And never be tempted by zero day releases. If somehow a big name on a big site got something nasty, it won't last a day. But it sucks to download it on that one day.

Patches aren't a problem for big name stuff like Starfield, but god help you for the smaller releases if there's a game breaking bug.

Pre-purchased it, played it last night and this morning, just refunded it.

My setup is not the most modern (four years old, RTX 2060) but it was as close to unplayable, except on the very lowest settings, as any game I have played. The bits I did see (everything up to the first visit to the Library) didn't really impress me that much either as a Bethesda game or one set in space (NMS and Elite Dangerous are both vastly better in that respect). The combat (space and ground) was very disappointing too.

Pre-purchased it, played it last night and this morning, just refunded it.

My setup is not the most modern (four years old, RTX 2060) but it was as close to unplayable, except on the very lowest settings, as any game I have played. The bits I did see (everything up to the first visit to the Library) didn't really impress me that much either as a Bethesda game or one set in space (NMS and Elite Dangerous are both vastly better in that respect). The combat (space and ground) was very disappointing too.

I’m playing on the laptop version of the GTX 1070. It was pretty bad, especially considering how good Cyberpunk looked on the same machine. This morning I started walking down to CEX to buy a Xbox Series X, then came to my senses. Went home and searched for the best settings for old cards. Got it working reasonably. Spent a good 6 hours on it

I’m playing on the laptop version of the GTX 1070. It was pretty bad, especially considering how good Cyberpunk looked on the same machine. This morning I started walking down to CEX to buy a Xbox Series X, then came to my senses. Went home and searched for the best settings for old cards. Got it working reasonably. Spent a good 6 hours on it

I mean I bought a PS4 for Fallout 4.

Silly question, but where have folks got it from? I thought it would be a while till I played it but realise I have a weekend without partner or dog coming up and am quite tempted. Looking at Steam it's not out till the 6th?

I was very excited about this, but having seen and read some reviews I don't think I'll bother with it. Skyrim in space I wanted, not loads of separate places you can fast travel to. Booooo

I was very excited about this, but having seen and read some reviews I don't think I'll bother with it. Skyrim in space I wanted, not loads of separate places you can fast travel to. Booooo

The Mortismal gaming review seemed pretty well thought out. Bit tricky to tell without having played it and not spending that much time watching gaming reviews... But the redditors seem to approve.

But yeah... Doesn't really appeal. His basic take is that the handcrafted content is great, FP combat etc also good, ship combat more stat based. But repeat assets show up in the exploration side of things. And it's weird not having continuous space in a modern game.

I suppose I've been playing BG3 and Subnautica recently. Subnautica is, for me, peak handcrafted masquerading as procedural... You never feel constrained by the world. Or. You fucking do. But because it's just shitting dark and there are things down there you don't want to see. Which is the correct kind of constrained. BG3 of course is far more on rails, but not in a way that breaks immersion, and the rails are wide and allow for double decker trains? There are a lot of different approaches within wide constraints is what I'm saying.

So I think that's where I land. Don't do procedural generation unless you're really confident in it feeling seemless. Environments that are technically more restrictive can feel far more open and engaging if they are well designed. If that means you have 10 planets instead of 1000, <shrug>. I think it'll be one that pops up in a sale and I remember I haven't played it... And will likely enjoy it. But yeah, not for now.

Last edited:
My PC is unable to do it, I knew that already and haven't even looked at anything Starfield related as a result.

Hey, at least it is taking 8 years now for PCs to be way underpowered for the current game releases, rather than the 6-8 months it was back in the '90s. That really felt a bit like throwing money down the toilet to keep up.

Back
Top Bottom