Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Starfield fans ahoy!

I’ve traditionally played all of the Bethesda games a while after release so I can wait. Tbh I think we’ve passed peak gaming and I’m getting less and less excited about modern releases. I’ve been playing Worms Armageddon again of late. It’s still supported and timeless.

I’ve traditionally played all of the Bethesda games a while after release so I can wait. Tbh I think we’ve passed peak gaming and I’m getting less and less excited about modern releases. I’ve been playing Worms Armageddon again of late. It’s still supported and timeless.
The hell does ''we've passed peak gaming'' even mean? Baldur's Gate 3 is alittle over a month old, blew my metaphorical socks off. Amazing games come out every single month.

The hell does ''we've passed peak gaming'' even mean? Baldur's Gate 3 is alittle over a month old, blew my metaphorical socks off. Amazing games come out every single month.
It means I’m an old fucker and I bet BG3 isn’t as good as its predecessors that I played twenty years ago. And if it is, then it’s just copying stuff from twenty years ago.

Just an FYI if you're looking at new stuff. The only thing that has the longevity of a 1080Ti is the 4090 and you'll pay through the nose for the privilege. You're probably looking at 4070Ti for a good, clear upgrade over that 1080. That was a total beast of a card when it was new and the 4090 is the first thing since then to have that kind of lead over everything else on the market. You can get a better CPU for ~£200 easy though. It's just that motherboard prices have gone through the roof since then. I paid double over the 6000-series board I bought last time.

Just an FYI if you're looking at new stuff. The only thing that has the longevity of a 1080Ti is the 4090 and you'll pay through the nose for the privilege. You're probably looking at 4070Ti for a good, clear upgrade over that 1080. That was a total beast of a card when it was new and the 4090 is the first thing since then to have that kind of lead over everything else on the market. You can get a better CPU for ~£200 easy though. It's just that motherboard prices have gone through the roof since then. I paid double over the 6000-series board I bought last time.
I'll probably just wait for the 5 series, unless my computer problems get worse.

I've put together this list.

Might just get the 4070, then with that CPU I can upgrade the gpu in a few years if needed. My wife owns a company that deals with vision technology for robots, so this is the parts list I have given her, she can usualy get parts a bit cheaper than the MSP.

NZXT H7 Flow Black

Intel Core i9-13900K

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite

VENGEANCE® 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 DRAM 6000MHz C36 Memory Kit — Black

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 Ti Gaming OC 12G (good but not the best)

(ASUS TUF 게이밍 지포스 RTX 4090 그래픽 카드 (PCIe 4.0, 24GB)

IF we can afford it.)

iCUE H150i ELITE LCD XT Display Liquid CPU Cooler

Corsair RMX Series (2021), RM1000x, 1000 Watt, Gold, Fully Modular

SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe

SAMSUNG 870 EVO SATA SSD 500GB

Prolimatech Pk-3 Nano Aluminum Thermal Compound - 5g​

X3 be quiet! Silent Wings 4 120mm, 1600 RPM, Premium Cooling Fan, 3-Pin - BL092

I've put together this list.

Might just get the 4070, then with that CPU I can upgrade the gpu in a few years if needed. My wife owns a company that deals with vision technology for robots, so this is the parts list I have given her, she can usualy get parts a bit cheaper than the MSP.

NZXT H7 Flow Black

Intel Core i9-13900K

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite

VENGEANCE® 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 DRAM 6000MHz C36 Memory Kit — Black

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 Ti Gaming OC 12G (good but not the best)

(ASUS TUF 게이밍 지포스 RTX 4090 그래픽 카드 (PCIe 4.0, 24GB)

IF we can afford it.)

iCUE H150i ELITE LCD XT Display Liquid CPU Cooler

Corsair RMX Series (2021), RM1000x, 1000 Watt, Gold, Fully Modular

SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe

SAMSUNG 870 EVO SATA SSD 500GB

Prolimatech Pk-3 Nano Aluminum Thermal Compound - 5g​

X3 be quiet! Silent Wings 4 120mm, 1600 RPM, Premium Cooling Fan, 3-Pin - BL092

Blimey.

Why the Sata SSD when you've got a load of NVMe slots on that motherboard?

If cost is an issue, I don't think you notice loads of difference between an i7 and i9 (for gaming anyway).

To be fair, when moving from sata to nvme, my Windows boot time went from 5 seconds to 3. Yeah it's faster, but would you notice? That said, there's no price premium for the good stuff any more. SATA is dead unless you're just reusing old kit.

Still not many hours in as went away for the weekend. Some minor frustrations though so far. Maybe I was spoon fed a bit to much as I was playing Cyberpunk before this, but would it really hurt to have things like maps for cities telling you where to get stuff? I can see why people get frustrated with the menus, I shouldn't have to google to work out how to transfer things to my ship.

I’ve just capitulated and bought an Xbox Series X. My trusty old GTX 1070 just couldn’t cope when there was a whole bunch of adversaries gnawing away doing lots of maths. Let’s see if it’s much of an improvement.

I’ve just capitulated and bought an Xbox Series X. My trusty old GTX 1070 just couldn’t cope when there was a whole bunch of adversaries gnawing away doing lots of maths. Let’s see if it’s much of an improvement.
It's almost twice as fast as a 1070. And if your CPU didn't have 6+ cores, it will be better in that regard, too. But mostly, because Bethesda, it's just a poorly optimised piece of crap. It's laudable that they've launched with fewer bugs than usual, but the performance for something that doesn't even look that good is abhorrent.

Finally got some more time to play it this afternoon. It's just so big. I worry I won't ever scratch the surface of this game, it's bonkers. God they could have explained things better. Thank goodness for reddit.

Last edited:
Killed my first Terramorph. Mission said to lure it so it would be killed by the security system, but I thought I'd take it on to head to head, fully expecting to die, but I killed it. Loads of HP, but not actually that aggressive.

It's almost twice as fast as a 1070. And if your CPU didn't have 6+ cores, it will be better in that regard, too. But mostly, because Bethesda, it's just a poorly optimised piece of crap. It's laudable that they've launched with fewer bugs than usual, but the performance for something that doesn't even look that good is abhorrent.

I mean I'm sure in a few years when we rocking better cards we will look back and laugh, but it's bonkers that it needs so much. Not got round to doing the DLSS thing yet tbf, real life keeps getting in the way.

Having checked on a couple of different system requirements websites, according to them my machine with its i7-10700K, RTX 2060 Super and 32GB will be good enough to run Starfield decently. Anyone have any actual experience of running Starfield with similar hardware for comparison?

There are stories from people with 7800X3D and RTX 3090 complaining about performance at 1440p. But everyone has a different notion of what's "decent".

Apparently there is no level cap. But you need to get to 328 to unlock everything.

I'm still quite enjoying teleporting to random places to see what I find. Killing pirates seems to be a good way to get ammo and XP. Although I stumbled across house va'runn last night. Who are a lot harder to kill (but give me XP and better weapons)

There are stories from people with 7800X3D and RTX 3090 complaining about performance at 1440p. But everyone has a different notion of what's "decent".

Hardware unboxed started a podcast, and ep.3 is largely about Starfield performance, so may be worth a listen for anyone interested in the more nerdy details.

Managed to get a few more hours in, so up to L11. :)

Look away now to avoid spoilers. I was following the Vanguard mission where you've got to fly to another system and deal with the pirates and the last part their is wave after wave of them. My space combat skills certainly improved, but it wasn't enough, the last wave kept killing me. Flew back to New Atlanta and upgraded the ship, but it still wasn't enough. Followed the Mantis mission which gives you a new ship, the Razorback and went back and destroyed them (you get some nice armor on the mission, so it's a double win). The Mantis was hard for me as I didn't have enough med kits, so worth stocking up. Back to the destroying pirates mission when you board the space station you get a laser rifle which seems like the first really decent upgrade on the basic weapons as well. Should do a few more of the main story missions as went back to that and just destroying everything, so I've obviously level up plenty.

One thing I thought was cool, but is now seeming a bit of a missed opportunity is I like landing on random places on planets and seeing what's there. It was good at the start as I often found low level pirates to kill and level up and increase ammo stocks, but I think there could be more structure. It seems you land and and there a 3 unknown things which you've got to trek to. I feel this could be rewarded more, even if just stats like the amount of bases you've cleared out or similar. I know these bits are procedurally generated, but seeing as it's such a big world, I feel there could be incentive. Some of planets with crazy wildlife are quite cool to wonder round though.

Back
Top Bottom