Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Black Lives Matter demos and protests UK, 2020-2021

at a slight tangent, racists who complain about 'snowflakes' are collectively having a hissy fit at yorkshire tea on teh tweeter

EaBJcaXXgAAZkwU

EaBJcawXgAAjNZu

Ive been reading the link put up by butchersapron

The statue was funded and erected at a time of open class warfare in Bristol. The local wealthy business elites were feeling threatened. The statue of Colston was attempt to attempt to revitalise the cult of Colston. A man who had died 1721. The elites of Bristol had uccessfully set up Colston as a "moral saint" and successful entpreuneur who used his wealth to help the poor some decades before the idea of statue. Colston day was a big event in Bristol. It was not really about Colston it was to show that these Victorian bourgeoisie were the best to run society.

The article shows how they created a myth of Colston. The Colston they invented was how they saw themselves. And how they wanted the lower orders to see them. Elaborate events took place on Colston day - a picture of society were everyone knew there place.

So the statue, for which popular funding was lacking, was brought about in a period when the local bourgeois did not feel secure.

Read two other articles from the excellent site dispelling the myth of Colston.

This is where historical research matters. Colston didn't do the dirty work of slaving. He was the organiser. So at one remove. The defence is that he was a merchant and that his main business was trade not buying and selling slaves.That this part of his business was not main part of his business life. Slaving was part of society in his time so he could not avoid it. Its unfair to pick on him.

Article 2 shows that he was a main player in the Royal African Company. This was set up to buy slaves in the West coast of Africa and sell them in Carribbean. Mainly Jamaica and Barbados. Sanctioned by the King it was a privately run. Colston was a big investor and heavily involved in it- held positions and sat on committees. This was highly successful big operation. Even built its own forts in Africa to protect its interests. Colston left when the going was good with a fortune. He didnt leave because he didnt like slavery. He left as he saw the company future business prospects as poor.

So buying and selling slaves was his main business interest. It was how he became so rich.

He was an organiser of the slave trade. A significant one. Not a bystander or unwilling accomplice. He personally never saw how this was done.

Article one is about the number of human beings that this company transported to Carribbean. It all about numbers and estimates.Got to admire the work that historians have put into this.

Its estimated that 23% died on route.

Estimated 14% were children transported to be slaves.

The amount of money Royal African Company made in Colstons time there ( 1680 - 1692) :

A monetary estimate of the value of the 65,200 Africans sold in the Caribbean and mainland America yields more than 1 million pounds sterling which equates to somewhere between 2 and 35 billion pounds today.

Its this painstaking historical research that dispells the myth of Colston

He was an organiser and profited from the slave trade.

Last edited:
at a slight tangent, racists who complain about 'snowflakes' are collectively having a hissy fit at yorkshire tea on teh tweeter

EaBJcaXXgAAZkwU

EaBJcawXgAAjNZu

Yeah, I’m a bit cynical of brands jumping on the tweet bandwagon tbh. Amazon have already got in early (think it’s been posted on here already) and so have Nike.

It’s all just a PR move from these type of companies thinking of their bottom line first.

im sure the lives of their teapickers and the money they get paid matters fuck all to them
continuity plantation business
Still good that they say this, though. I'm trying now - and not always succeeding - not to be too cynical when dodgy politicians or companies, or even coppers, express support for BLM in unequivocal ways. At the very least, they've now set up a level for themselves that we can hold them to in the future. Ah, you agree with this? Ok, so do better then.

Still good that they say this, though. I'm trying now - and not always succeeding - not to be too cynical when dodgy politicians or companies, or even coppers, express support for BLM in unequivocal ways. At the very least, they've now set up a level for themselves that we can hold them to in the future. Ah, you agree with this? Ok, so do better then.
well its good to slap down british racists on twitter. +50 points
child labour poverty wages continuity of plantation slavery corporate anti-racism washing -1000000 points

I've no interest what so ever in some imported white privilege American liberal bollocks . I'm for black and white unite and fight. A united working class .

Im afraid that concept is commonly held in my part of London. Its replaced class.

I looked up the deprivation figures for my home town Plymouth ( white working class) and they are the same as my part of London ( Brixton/ Loughborough Junction) with a large Black working class.Working class in two different areas have more in common that the concept of white privilege/ Supremency will acknowledge.

Back
Top Bottom