Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Birmingham Erdington Byelection Thread - 2022

They'll probably be ok - Labour are well up in the polls atm. Unlikely to be dazzling but I reckon they're safe.

Constituency map.

Screenshot-20220107-192517-2.png

Jack lived in my building, often had a chat with him in the corridor, he was alright.

There’s still a police presence outside his flat and a couple of press types trying to get quotes from anyone else who lives here.

Tbh Jack wasn't particularly liked by quite a few around that area so a new MP for the Labour party might not be a bad thing either.

Blair just said he was “hugely likeable”, which strikes me as a rather clever way of saying that you didn‘t like someone.

My sisters area. Despite the Erdington tories generally being quite vocal and hypocritical of the Birmingham Labour Council, I would imagine in the current climate Labour should win this easily. But then I'm often wrong with political stuff that I think is a dead cert!

I was also about to start one, but for now,, let's just link to Jack Dromey's Guardian obituary -- pretty informative IMO.

He may have been right-wing in LP terms :(, but at least he was an old-school Trade Union campaigner :cool:

Here are the figures from 2019

His majority then was pretty small (3,601! Minus 7.7%), but I don't see either the Tories or even less the LibDems, gaining this?? :confused: .. apart from the possible Brexit Party factor helping the Tories more than Labour ...

Date of this byelection so far not known.

Last edited:
The tory candidate last time round is a local Councillor (and an absolute total bellend), and his flyers are always pushing the local links and things he's achieved for his local people.

If the Labour Party parachutes in some no-mark suit filler with no connection to Erdington, they're toast.
I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that Labour will absolutely stick some no-mark suit filler in, and still comfortably win (unless something changes drastically with national politics between now and the by-election)

Back
Top Bottom