Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best vegetable (no potato)

Or stuff that is good cos it makes other stuff, like I dunno coffee or something. Just a veg you would eat.

I think maybe red cabbage

Reactions: LDC
sprouts (Brussels) I eat them daily for almost six months of the year - though I only use them in stew with a lot of other ingredients - good on day 1, even better on day 2 and 3 ...
The rest of the year it's broccoli - though I find that's best stir-fried ...

For a very long time my evening meal was based around stir-fried white cabbage and onions.

We've just got a leafy veg called field mustard in English coming up on our plot and that's delicious straight out the yard to be done quick fried with a bit of garlic. Love sprouts too and spinach.

Spinach is good but I dunno how people are suggesting sprouts as the best veg ffs.

Carrots are quite versatile. Peas should be a contender on cost, convenience, and shelf life

Spinach is good but I dunno how people are suggesting sprouts as the best veg ffs.

Carrots are quite versatile. Peas should be a contender on cost, convenience, and shelf life
If peas and beans are in then peas and chickpeas would make my top ten too. We also grow string beans which are pretty versatile in Chinese cooking, both as a veg side and done with various meats.

Chickpeas are good but I'm fed up of them. Do you have those weird cucumber things they call melon jim?
We've had a few different gourds and pumpkins going, not sure if you saw the shonky trellis we have made out of old window frames in the background to my ugly mug pic. That was a jungle of pumpkins first year here but we've cut right back as it was pretty oppressive in full bloom :D
They crop really well to the point you get sick of them before you finish. Also Absalom pear/bitter gourd which is nice but not every meal as it lives up to its name.

Potatoes have never counted as a vegetable in my head, and I think they don't in the 5 a day thing either do they?

Nor are beans or any pulses you cheats mentioning them above!

Carrots, kale, broccoli, cabbage, spring greens. Any of them.

Peas. They were the only cooked veg I ate till my mid 20s (I'd eat some salad veg as well).
Potatoes, frozen peas and canned tomatoes are the only veggies I can remember from my suburban 60s and 70s upbringing - perhaps swede on special occasions ...

Screenshot_20200503-130553~2.png
We've had a few different gourds and pumpkins going, not sure if you saw the shonky trellis we have made out of old window frames in the background to my ugly mug pic. That was a jungle of pumpkins first year here but we've cut right back as it was pretty oppressive in full bloom :D
They crop really well to the point you get sick of them before you finish. Also Absalom pear/bitter gourd which is nice but not every meal as it lives up to its name.

There are the things I meant I think, had them with pork in a really sweet sauce, I think neither the sauce nor the cucumber stuff would have been pleasant without each other but it worked well together. But weird.

Back
Top Bottom