Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beauty products that actually work

I’ve been using OGX coconut water shampoo and the charcoal detox one once a week. I might try the Apple cider vinegar clarifying one soon.

How often do you wash your hair? I reduced to every other day and it made a big difference. I’ve slipped back to every day and once again my hair is greasy and lifeless.

The charcoal and coconut are both clarifying already; I wouldn’t add another one into the mix.

I have to admit to not really using beauty products before, but I saw this for $5 for 50g in a local reject/pound shop. It was so good that I went back and bought all they had ( which was only about 4 jars) It'll last me a long time and when I checked out the real price I was happy at what I'd got. It's totally disappeared any problems areas I had ! Screenshot_20200926-173415.pngtbf I usually go to the reject shop because they sell rejected Irish made Cadburys like whispers etc... ;)

I have a can of bastisse (?) for dark hair. Somehow it also makes me hair feel and look disgusting :(
Try the normal one -not coloured. I found the dark one left dirt on everything.
And if you put it on before bed it's a whole lot better. Obviously not the feel of clean hair but it's better than grease and gives a bit of volume and grip.

Try the normal one -not coloured. I found the dark one left dirt on everything.
And if you put it on before bed it's a whole lot better. Obviously not the feel of clean hair but it's better than grease and gives a bit of volume and grip.
But I have really dark hair and the normal one makes my hair look chalky/grey :(

I use a brunette one, and think it’s quite good. YMMV obviously. I use it in the morning just on my fringe and scalp, then brush it into a highish ponytail or bun. It’s not effective enough to get away with wearing my hair down, but my hair is really long at the moment. It looks great on my fringe though. Haven’t noticed it transferring or leaving dirty marks from any overspray either

72072BEA-467C-4F5B-BC20-810CF5DEB321.jpeg

Apart from when it’s bleached, my hair is really prone to being greasy.

However, I hate washing it more than twice a week, so I have a range of strategies:

Dry shampoo
Washing just the fringe, or fringe and T section, quickly over the sink.
Conditioner only on the ends.
No styling products.
No heat (hairdryers, tongs etc) - which is probably more because it invites more brushing and general scalp action.
Putting it in a plait for sleep. Keeps it from rubbing and tangling, needs less detangling/brushing in the morning.

Basically, the more you brush / comb, the greasier it gets.

I don’t buy special shampoos or conditioner for greasy hair, because I usually have sections of my hair that are colour-treated - currently the bottom half is a really bleached balayage, and that bit needs more moisture, not less.

Really good tips! I do tend to brush a lot, because it's thin and tangles all the time. Probably needs a few inches off too.

I'll have a look for that dry shampoo, thanks.

Olaplex is a bond builder so will do nothing for grease etc. It is great for curly hair that’s been damaged or over dyed hair though and it internally supports the hydrogen bonds in the hair shaft. Number 3 can be used at home.

Yeah, I was posting purely in isolation, not in response to anyone else, but my point specifically was that Number 2 can be used at home, instead of the weaker Number 3 that they try to flog you.

I've been using Olaplex since I got sold it by a hairdresser. :hmm: I thought I'd been conned but actually my hair has looked really good since I've been using it.
I've just got a 15% discount at cult beauty if anyone wants it.

I've been using Olaplex since I got sold it by a hairdresser. :hmm: I thought I'd been conned but actually my hair has looked really good since I've been using it.
I've just got a 15% discount at cult beauty if anyone wants it.

I am tempted to buy some Number 0 too, actually. :oops:

Anyway, on the subject of other beauty products that actually work, my skin has been so unhappy from wearing a mask, and it constantly breaks out in the places that the mask touches my face. :( I bought some azelaic acid serum a few weeks ago, and it has actually made a meaningful difference. Mine's a Chinese brand but I think The Ordinary do one too.

I've been having a few breakouts around my chin actually. Probably hormone related but the mask doesn't help.
I've just got some Pixi goodies for my birthday and so hopefully that helps.

In a fit of lockdown boredom over Christmas, I bought myself some poncey skincare - vit A serum, vit C serum and eye cream all by the appallingly named Mad Hippie, and some sort of small batch face mask whose brand I will have to look up. Despite the terrible name, both serums have genuinely made a noticeable difference to my face - skin is much brighter and just looks nicer :)

Does anyone have a LED light mask? I’m thinking about buying one.

I see No7 has one down to £99 from £150 & many others are considerably more.

I did a Neals Yard pamper session via zoom on Friday for a friends b’day. We got sent samples in the post so we could have a facial & the whole thing worked really well. I have treated myself to some hydrating essence which was probably double what I would usually spend & moisturiser that’s same price as my current Bodyshop one.

All products I tried I would have loved to have bought & 2 friends with very sensitive skin coped well with all the products.

Got a free mini jar of Charlotte Tilbury magic cream from my sister.
It has lasted me 3 months.
Fantastic for dry / combo skin. And I only used a tiny amount every day.
It's bloody expensive to buy though.
Might manage to get a 15ml jar in a few weeks.

Does anyone want a virtually full bottle of Caudalie body lotion? I bought it for myself as a lockdown treat but can't get on with the scent - it's not at all unpleasant but is very reminiscent of a specific bad memory from my life, so I can't use it. Happy to post...

i am loving a really overpriced and beautifully packaged hand cream, this one.

Screenshot 2021-04-12 at 18.46.33.png
I just bought a second (tiny) tube but in truth i really cant tell whether it actually is as good as I feel like it is (all silky and makes your dried up work-hands look pretty again) or whether i'm just seduced by the pretty retro packaging and weird badly translated french writing on the back.
Funny isn't it with beauty stuff, the packaging is somehow an integral part of the experience for me in a way that isnt is true of any other products.

Reactions: izz
i am loving a really overpriced and beautifully packaged hand cream, this one.

View attachment 262962
I just bought a second (tiny) tube but in truth i really cant tell whether it actually is as good as I feel like it is (all silky and makes your dried up work-hands look pretty again) or whether i'm just seduced by the pretty retro packaging and weird badly translated french writing on the back.
Funny isn't it with beauty stuff, the packaging is somehow an integral part of the experience for me in a way that isnt is true of any other products.
I had some of this, it's really great.

Can anyone recommend a mid price beauty brand, ideally to be bought in department store or something so I can go and look at it. It's for an 18th birthday so I want something a little bit special. Looking for an eye shadow set. This is the example.

Thanks.

Also what's a good posho nail polish brand?
Urban Decay is a trendy mid-range brand for eye-shadow palettes - although shop around for special offers/discounts/voucher codes.

Kat Von D is another trendy mid-range brand, available from different stockists in the UK but here's the main website.

Fenty Beauty (Rihanna's make-up brand) was a game-changer in terms of offering products and colour palettes to suit all skin tones and made other brands up their game and be more inclusive. Looks like they're only doing small palettes at the moment though.

Can anyone recommend a mid price beauty brand, ideally to be bought in department store or something so I can go and look at it. It's for an 18th birthday so I want something a little bit special. Looking for an eye shadow set. This is the example.

Thanks.

Also what's a good posho nail polish brand?
Nails Inc or Opi for posh nail varnish.

Mid range makeup... “mid range” is subjective. MAC is probably what I would go for.

Back
Top Bottom