Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beauty products that actually work

Because I have really dry skin & work in a heavily air-conditioned office, I've often used cheapish night cream as day cream (except in summer when I might use a day cream with SPF , or facial suncream instead or as well). Just because it's extra moisturising - I've always used quite basic brands & I don't expect them to do any more than make my skin feel & smell nice.

Lately my skin feels really tight & painful all day, I've just realised the night cream I've been using has AHAs in it, so now I'm feeling :facepalm: as I might have inadvertantly made my skin more sensitive to sun damage.

(No warnings about going out in the sun on the product, as of course it's a night cream...)

I need sunscreen recommendations please.
I have sensitive/dry skin so moisturizing is a plus.
SPF 30 or above.
Doesn’t stain clothes.
I’ve been using a Hawaiian Tropic one for ages that I love but I can’t wear light clothes at all because it stains so badly.
Aveeno and Child’s Farm both good for sensitive skin but stain badly apparently.
Anyone got a good one they use?

I need sunscreen recommendations please.
I have sensitive/dry skin so moisturizing is a plus.
SPF 30 or above.
Doesn’t stain clothes.
I’ve been using a Hawaiian Tropic one for ages that I love but I can’t wear light clothes at all because it stains so badly.
Aveeno and Child’s Farm both good for sensitive skin but stain badly apparently.
Anyone got a good one they use?

It’s not cheap but Evy Technology Daily Defence SPF 50 mousse is amazing. Comes out as a foam but turns into a cream with rubbing. It’s a moisturiser as well as an SPF. No mask, no staining. Everyone raves about La Roche Posay too but I haven’t tried that yet.

Cantu shampoo is clarifying so shouldn’t be used regularly. I gave myself awful dermatitis by using it several times a week and just stripping my poor scalp. It’s not an oil but Camille Rose gel is doing wonders for my hair at the moment, really moisturising so works brilliantly on frizz, a very subtle scent and boosts volume too.

Reactions: izz
Cantu shampoo is clarifying so shouldn’t be used regularly. I gave myself awful dermatitis by using it several times a week and just stripping my poor scalp. It’s not an oil but Camille Rose gel is doing wonders for my hair at the moment, really moisturising so works brilliantly on frizz, a very subtle scent and boosts volume too.

I alternate between the clarifying and moisturising Cantu shampoos and haven't had a problem, although I only wash my hair every 3-4 days anyway.

It’s not cheap but Evy Technology Daily Defence SPF 50 mousse is amazing. Comes out as a foam but turns into a cream with rubbing. It’s a moisturiser as well as an SPF. No mask, no staining. Everyone raves about La Roche Posay too but I haven’t tried that yet.
I've tried La Roche Posay and would say it's good. I also like Ultrasun. And some of the Japanese and Korean ones - Biore Watery Essence and Canmake Mermaid Gel. These all just go on my face - I use cheaper stuff for my body (or P20 on offer but that's a weird oil that may an acquired taste)

I'm using the NUXE oil on my frizzy curly hair at the moment. I put a tiny bit on after washing my hair and then just slightly dampen my hair with water each morning to reactivate the curls. Makes my hair very soft. I also use it for shaving my legs.

How heavy are the Cantu products BoatieBird ? My curls are the fine and light kind, so some of the really rich curly hair stuff is too much.

Currently using Curlsmith curl cream which is lovely and smells of sweets :D

I have quite thick hair but it was too heavy for me. Worth trying though, it’s difficult to know without trying I think.

Many years ago, teeps (whose more recent name I can’t remember, so I apologise if they are reading) recommended many of us a number of products by The Ordinary.

Being a lazy mare, it’s taken me until 47 to actually start using any facial unguents, but I recently have started using their Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% serum in the morning, followed by their Natural Moisturising factors + HA.

I have undramatically combination skin. The T zone isn’t especially greasy, and my cheeks aren’t dry, but apparently you can’t be categorised as “boring skin”. My biggest problem is an age-related puffy/saggy tone, and permenant rosacea pimples in a patch just above the apples of my cheeks.

And reader, let me tell you: this £5 serum and even cheaper moisturiser make me look so much smoother, tighter, and more even!

More critically, I can apply the serum while my face is still damp from cleansing, the moisturiser straight on top, and then within 20 seconds it has all completely absorbed and I can slap on my foundation. Which has always been the barrier to my “buying in” to moisturiser in the past. It would sit on my skin and make my foundation last less than a hour.

I am converted.

How heavy are the Cantu products BoatieBird ? My curls are the fine and light kind, so some of the really rich curly hair stuff is too much.

Currently using Curlsmith curl cream which is lovely and smells of sweets :D
Cantu have products for every curly hair type and have a guide depending on your hair type.....look:
(scroll down for hair types)

Reactions: izz
I have acquired at least 6 months worth of face shit, in clearing out ma's house. She loved Clarins and Clinique. I have a suitcase half full of miniature tubes of various serums etc.

I also found an unopened box of Gateneau body firming body oil and body lotion with AHA's and a skin brush.

So it turns out that what I thought was moisturiser was in fact azaelic acid! Which explains why it doesn’t sit on the surface of my skin like moisturiser always does.

Many years ago, teeps (whose more recent name I can’t remember, so I apologise if they are reading) recommended many of us a number of products by The Ordinary.

Being a lazy mare, it’s taken me until 47 to actually start using any facial unguents, but I recently have started using their Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% serum in the morning, followed by their Natural Moisturising factors + HA.

I have undramatically combination skin. The T zone isn’t especially greasy, and my cheeks aren’t dry, but apparently you can’t be categorised as “boring skin”. My biggest problem is an age-related puffy/saggy tone, and permenant rosacea pimples in a patch just above the apples of my cheeks.

And reader, let me tell you: this £5 serum and even cheaper moisturiser make me look so much smoother, tighter, and more even!

More critically, I can apply the serum while my face is still damp from cleansing, the moisturiser straight on top, and then within 20 seconds it has all completely absorbed and I can slap on my foundation. Which has always been the barrier to my “buying in” to moisturiser in the past. It would sit on my skin and make my foundation last less than a hour.

I am converted.
So spangles, can you recall how long it took this niacinamide stuff to make a difference ? I have, in my dotage, developed a spotty nose and pores I can lose my handbag in. I've been using this niacinamide for a week now to no observable effect - although I'm not using the other serum, just my usual moisturiser.

I had to stop using The Ordinary when my eyelids started bleeding :eek:

Wasn't using anything strong, as my skin is boringly good, but I think my skin tending to be dry/sensitive plus my out in all weathers job, means I need a heavy cream twice a day. I'm on CeraVe* again.

*If anyone knows of an equivalent that is not tested on animals please let me know 😭

I splashed out on a function of beauty shampoo and conditioner subscription and I now have a horribly itchy and flaky scalp. I realised tonight how sore my scalp is as I’ve been itching all fucking day.
Ive emailed to ask for a return/refund. The products took weeks to get here from the states (I hadn’t checked this) so I’m not waiting for them to ship something else.

I don’t know what to use now to calm my scalp. Should I go for something mild and soothing or something medicated?

Back
Top Bottom