Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beauty products that actually work

I don’t know what to use now to calm my scalp. Should I go for something mild and soothing or something medicated?
I have the same problem, Looby

The hairdresser recommended tea tree shampoo and that does seem to make it better. (I'm using the Organix one). I use it with Beauty Kitchen conditioner which seems to be quite 'organic' in its ingredients (but I found it a bit pricey).

If I use Elvive, either the conditioner or shampoo, which I bought two huge bottles of and want to use up, the itching/flakiness comes back.

I haven't gone down the checking for SLS etc. in products route yet, but may do.

I occasionally use T-Gel but I'm not sure it does much for the condition of my hair.

if your scalp is irritated definitely look for sulphate free shampoo. i also find my skin doesn't like linalool / lanolin which has limited my options to precisely one brand so far. luckily i do like it: ogx cononut milk, can get it in boots / supermarkets, although it is a little bit pricey it lasts.

I’ve been mostly using sulphate and paraben free for a while. Although I’ve had psoriasis on my scalp before, it hasn’t been an issue for ages until I used this shitty and expensive stuff. I definitely want my 40 quid back.

I used garnier hair food shampoo and conditioner this morning. The shampoo makes my hair too greasy but I thought it would be nice and soothing and my head feels less raw and itchy today.
I like OGX too Sapphireblue

I splashed out on a function of beauty shampoo and conditioner subscription and I now have a horribly itchy and flaky scalp. I realised tonight how sore my scalp is as I’ve been itching all fucking day.
Ive emailed to ask for a return/refund. The products took weeks to get here from the states (I hadn’t checked this) so I’m not waiting for them to ship something else.

I don’t know what to use now to calm my scalp. Should I go for something mild and soothing or something medicated?
So what I suggest and this worked really well for a mate of mine that had a really itchy flakey scalp....is an aloe vera spritz. I make this and it is amazing ime.
6 tablespoons of aloe vera jelly (99% with preservative)
1 teaspoon of rock or sea salt
1 top of grapeseed oil
A few drops of Lavender
Water to make it up to a litre.
Put it into a spray bottle.

I use every day on damp hair, it keeps it hydrated and is great for curly/ frizzy /dry hair......but I think it will sort your scalp out! 🙂

So spangles, can you recall how long it took this niacinamide stuff to make a difference ? I have, in my dotage, developed a spotty nose and pores I can lose my handbag in. I've been using this niacinamide for a week now to no observable effect - although I'm not using the other serum, just my usual moisturiser.
I think only a week or so, but I would try it in combo with the Azaelic acid. I don’t know which of them is the real miracle worker, or if it’s really the combination of the two potions.

I am about to re-up both, which makes it the first lot of facial stuff I’ve used often enough to use up since I was a spotty adolescent.

I think only a week or so, but I would try it in combo with the Azaelic acid. I don’t know which of them is the real miracle worker, or if it’s really the combination of the two potions.

I am about to re-up both, which makes it the first lot of facial stuff I’ve used often enough to use up since I was a spotty adolescent.
Sounds acutely positive, thanks aw'fly :D

So what I suggest and this worked really well for a mate of mine that had a really itchy flakey scalp....is an aloe vera spritz. I make this and it is amazing ime.
6 tablespoons of aloe vera jelly (99% with preservative)
1 teaspoon of rock or sea salt
1 top of grapeseed oil
A few drops of Lavender
Water to make it up to a litre.
Put it into a spray bottle.

I use every day on damp hair, it keeps it hydrated and is great for curly/ frizzy /dry hair......but I think it will sort your scalp out! 🙂
Thanks, if it’s still sore by the weekend I’ll try this. 😊 I’ll have to put it on before bed and wash in the morning I think as my hair is limp and oily anyway.

Thanks, if it’s still sore by the weekend I’ll try this. 😊 I’ll have to put it on before bed and wash in the morning I think as my hair is limp and oily anyway.
I'd use 1/4 teaspoon of oil then. Let me know how you get on if you do use it.

Just got some Boots Organic Daily Facial Oil. I think Botanics is a Boots own label brand. It has rosehip in. Pleased to see the bottle was glass when I unboxed it. I've put it on, very slight sting 5 minutes later but no redness, we shall see. £11.50 I think so not the cheapest. Nice smell and light application, not greasy. It was near the tills.

Barry M Plumpy topcoat. Super-shiny and very smooth, makes normal nail varnish look more like gel nails :cool:
I am a total gel nail convert. I can't believe how long I put up with the annoyance of varnish that gets chipped. considering a home kit but I quite like the pampering and aimless chatter of an hour in the salon. unlike the hairdresser I always leave with exactly what I want :cool:

I'm all about the gel nails too. I don't gaf that it wrecks your nails. :cool:

I bought a bottle of Fucking Fabulous by Tom Ford today. His perfumes are disgustingly expensive but you can actually smell them all day and you only need a tiny bit.

I did used to love my regular 40 min gossip session when I came out with beautiful CND nails, but by 10 days later, the gap at the bottom drove me nuts.
I had mine done in July but didn’t book a soak off and the stuff I bought was so shit I was trying to get the acrylic off for about 8 hours.

I have now bought some acetone although I cancelled my acrylics appointment this week.

I had mine done in July but didn’t book a soak off and the stuff I bought was so shit I was trying to get the acrylic off for about 8 hours.

I have now bought some acetone although I cancelled my acrylics appointment this week.
Sounds grim - I've remembered I don't have acrylic, I have shellac, which is kinder. And you can get it off with your teeth :cool: I can't do long nails.

Sounds grim - I've remembered I don't have acrylic, I have shellac, which is kinder. And you can get it off with your teeth :cool: I can't do long nails.
It’s fine if you don’t decide to take them off yourself although they do fuck your nails despite every beautician I’ve ever had tell me they don’t.
I can’t have them long either and I’m probably their most boring client. ‘Not too long, nice and natural shade please, no sparkle or nail art thank you.’ :D

I’ve had shellac, it was great.

I have only ever had a manicure once, and that was normal slow-drying varnish because I didn't want to fuck up my nails. My poor mate (who had booked for us both to get our nails done as a birthday treat) had to sit there for ages with her shiny new gels while my paint dried :D :oops: although it did give us a chance to drink more prosecco, so swings and roundabouts.

Do any rosacea folks here also have eczema in the same area? Do you put a bit of steroid cream on it? I know I can ask my doctor when I see them in two weeks (!) but I'm going mad with the itching and burning. It's the kind of eczema you get at the back of the knees - soft, red and swollen to start, then wrinkly and peeling after. And I know you shouldn't put steroid cream on rosacea but I think it's only prolonged use that's a problem? Isn't it?

What alternatives to cotton wool pads are people using?

I first bought garnier ones. Hated them. Too big. Layers that slip about. Soak up loads of liquid. Gave up immediately.

Then I bought Last Object ones. About the same size as cotton wool ones. Ok I guess for cleansing as long as you're not wearing make up. Too rough for eyes. Not sure they are up to the job absorbancy wise.

I first bought garnier ones. Hated them. Too big. Layers that slip about. Soak up loads of liquid. Gave up immediately.

Then I bought Last Object ones. About the same size as cotton wool ones. Ok I guess for cleansing as long as you're not wearing make up. Too rough for eyes. Not sure they are up to the job absorbancy wise.
I use these and like them but I haven’t used others to compare. I bought two packs so I’ve always got one on the go. They’re double sided and wash well.

I keep meaning to crochet some, but never quite get round to it. I use the awesome Farmacy green cleanser - a teeny bit applied with fingers all over the face, including eyes, then rinsed off or helped off with a wet flannel. Shifts waterproof mascara, eyeliner, the lot, and doesn't mess with my sensitive eyes.

Reactions: izz
I did used to love my regular 40 min gossip session when I came out with beautiful CND nails, but by 10 days later, the gap at the bottom drove me nuts.
I've taken to having just clear shellac nails for that very reason, you don't notice the gap anywhere near as quickly, no colour is only drawback. I've just experimented with adding colour on top for a week before they need redoing, can just about get away with it.

Garnier Micellar cleansing water is the best for taking all makeup off in one go with a cotton wool pad, including mascara, it's amazing.

I've just developed a stockpile of flannels and always double cleanse. However I very rarely wear a lot of eye makeup so it might not work for everyone.

I must get myself some reusable cotton pads.

Micellar water always irritates the skin around my eyes after a few days of consecutive use, so I tend to stick to cream cleansers for taking off eye make up.

I have been using the Body Shop Camomile cleanser which is in a tin & just use my fingers & pea sized amount depending on how much I’m needing to remove.

Quite impressed by No7 'Stay Perfect' Mascara. Now I'm getting some job interviews, and also going into office sometimes, where I'm smart enough dressed to need some face on, I needed a 'daytime' mascara to just make my eyelashes visible. Went to a medium-sized Boots and 90% of mascaras were GIANT INCREDIBLE VOLUME SUPER CURLY THICK FAKE-EFFECT EYELASHES mascaras in DEEPEST BLACKEST BLACK, which wasn't what I was after. So spent more money than planned on the No7 one in brown/black and it's just the ticket - can wear it with light makeup and makes my boring-coloured lashes visible without making me look slightly crazed, as I might look with overly heavy mascara and daytime makeup.

Last edited:
I've not worn makeup in ages because of wfh and not really caring.
My skin is way better now than it was a year ago. I'm really quite chuffed and happy gokng around with my plain face and cropped hair.
The idea of having to do the whole makeup routine if I have to go back to work...is daunting.

Reactions: izz
Back
Top Bottom