Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cool hats/headwear that don't make me look too elderly

I would personally recommend against getting chemo hats fwiw - people will look at you pityingly on the tube if you take to wearing one cause they'll think you have cancer

I don't get that, often they are just affordable beanies, also recommended for people with alopecia which I have. There's a reason I want to wear hats and that is because of hair thinning/loss (and people who want a hat because they are undergoing chemo are generally also people who are dealing with hair loss, it's not an "I have cancer" hat choice, it is an "I have hair loss" hat choice, same as me), there are people making headwear for that.

If people are looking at others pityingly that is kind of crap and the lookers need to deal with their own shit.

There are plenty of reasons why people want headwear and I don't think there are separate types for the people that want it.

Last edited:
Beret with a bit of gauze on it, my daughter has one and looks great on her small head. See if I can find a pic.

ETA Nope, have her in every other hat, various crowns and hair slides but not the maroon beret.

Uniqlo beanies are sort of inoffensively funky, they do heattech (acrylic not wool) in winter and cotton in summer.
https://www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/product/ribbed-beanie-446902.html

I lose hats a lot, so I like to have a style that's easily replaceable - I used to wear a lightweight wool skullcap that you could get an cheap & endless supply of on ebay, they were actually prayer hats for Muslim men, but looked ok if you got the right colour & wore them at a different size. I think you can get them in cotton, silk etc - though I have a worrying feeling that the open-weave ones might be similar to the crocheted horror you describe.

I'd say a lot of whether it's going to suit or not is down to face shape. Wearing a hat that doesn't go with the shape of your face can be quite ageing.
This type of thing:

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CRdixo28...AAAHzc/oeH_aRuwlQU/s1600/hat-trends-large.png
There is like a point when I think "is this going to look worse on me than the hat I am currently using" (usually no), is it more practical for my daily activities? (much room for improvement over my current baseball cap)- and I'm not so bothered about whether it makes me look amazing, it is going to take a lot more than a hat to do that :D

I want it to cover the top of my head, be practical, and as an aside preferably not look too shit :D

None of those in the link that suit my face shape are practical for the activities I do.

I still think a summer beanie is probably the best and cheapest option, but will definitely look at all the above.

This is small sized and could be worn with anything.

I think its absolutely gorgeous...
😁

Bit pricey though... but would probably last for years..

no worries.

if anyone else with a tiny head needs a multicoloured leather tam, give me a shout

It is lovely I just don't think it is me, and it will be a beautiful hat for someone who wants that style :)

No seriously I did use a bucket hat when I was on digs in Romania, but there wasn't a lot of wind and those provide great sun protection in that setting - but that docker hat looks great and would suit well, adjustable and like a baseball cap but no peak to catch the wind - will investigate further, thank you Saffy

I looked like a cunt with me flat cap tbf - I only wear beanies these days to keep my head warm.

Was never entitled to wear one as I'm a County Durham lad so not a Yorkshireman. :(

When I was younger me and my brother got my dad a flat cap for his 50th, and more recently when I had my 50th the favour was returned to me, it's like a family thing at this point - it just doesn't suit me though, my head is too small and I look like some sort of parody. Such a shame as I have always been fond of a flat cap and they do look great on others. Not on me though.

I think something soft and a bit more angled would suit you. So, instead of a horizontal line where the hat covers the top part of the head only, more like something that follows the usual hair-line, covering only the crown at the front of the head, but all of the back of the head. A cloche would be ideal. I also think a glam turban might work. They’re incredibly stretchy, so start out small - and also very inexpensive.

Cloches can have small brims, but often have none at all. They come in all kinds of fabrics.

1651776824273.jpeg1651776824273.jpeg
This cloche is £8 from amazon
1651776995452.jpeg1651776995452.jpeg

These turbans are less than £3 on eBay, but would look better on you because your fair is wavy.

1651777125333.jpeg1651777125333.jpeg

But if you get into turbans you can get some gorgeous ones. I rather like this peacock number

841C226A-E907-45EA-AC8E-FAAFFC824C1B.jpeg

I think something soft and a bit more angled would suit you. So, instead of a horizontal line where the hat covers the top part of the head only, more like something that follows the usual hair-line, covering only the crown at the front of the head, but all of the back of the head. A cloche would be ideal. I also think a glam turban might work. They’re incredibly stretchy, so start out small - and also very inexpensive.

Cloches can have small brims, but often have none at all. They come in all kinds of fabrics.

View attachment 321341View attachment 321341
This cloche is £8 from amazon
View attachment 321342View attachment 321342

These turbans are less than £3 on eBay, but would look better on you because your fair is wavy.

View attachment 321343View attachment 321343

But if you get into turbans you can get some gorgeous ones. I rather like this peacock number

View attachment 321346

This is fantastic, and you've put so much thought into what would suit me, I love this! ❤️

I'd definitely go for one of those cloches for a night out, they are brilliant!!!

I absolutely adore those styles anyway, I've always been a bit 1910s or 1920s.

My hair is cropped fairly short at the moment in a lockdown diy bob but that works with those styles of hat too (and is fairly curly atm).

I don't think that is necessarily what I want to be wearing when I'm down on the river with a pair of binoculars when I am in need of something a bit more warm and practical but omg you have hit the nail on the head in terms of styles and eras I like and might suit me - if I want something for a night out this is absolutely bang on, I can see myself in a nice dressy cloche or some sort of feathered headwear :)

❤️

Last edited:
Eta with and without the knot thing on the front
Yes, Etsy is great for hats. Was looking for a hat for my OH a while back. These were a few I considered.
il_794xN.3776229528_ej2j.jpgil_794xN.3846878158_ndpf.jpgil_794xN.3034199231_2brs.jpg

Back
Top Bottom