Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beauty products that actually work

Anyone tried any Beauty Pie? I'm quite tempted by some of their stuff but wondered if anyone had given them a go.

Yes I did. I used the Caroline Hirons intro code which meant that I could buy extra stuff for the first month. I got skincare but wasn't that impressed and cancelled. Every so often a blogger recommends one of their products and I'm keen to restart my subscription but the fact that you can't try it on your skin first means that it's not for me.

I've had my eyebrows tinted and shaped this morning and they're way too dark. She said they look darker because it's on my skin a bit too.
Anyone got any ideas of what I can put on them to tone them down?

I've had my eyebrows tinted and shaped this morning and they're way too dark. She said they look darker because it's on my skin a bit too.
Anyone got any ideas of what I can put on them to tone them down?
Glycolic acid?

My skin has gone mental lately :mad: after months and months of looking good :( Loads of big red angry spots, particularly around my chin.

I am under more stress than usual but don't think that can be the sole cause. Haven't changed anything lately except I think I bought a different kind of night cream (same brand, but different formula).

Just having a moan really :rolleyes:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but it's my work dinner dance tomorrow and I want to make a bit of an effort. I normally only wear foundation, bit of eyeliner and some mascara. My issue is I have not quite hooded eyelids but ones where you can't see them so eyeshadow doesnt really work.

Anyway that's just background info, what I wanted to ask was has anyone been to one of those beauty counters and had a good experience? I imagine I've left it too close to the wire because if I dont like it then I'll be stuck with it but thought I'd ask.

Not sure if this is the right thread, but it's my work dinner dance tomorrow and I want to make a bit of an effort. I normally only wear foundation, bit of eyeliner and some mascara. My issue is I have not quite hooded eyelids but ones where you can't see them so eyeshadow doesnt really work.

Anyway that's just background info, what I wanted to ask was has anyone been to one of those beauty counters and had a good experience? I imagine I've left it too close to the wire because if I dont like it then I'll be stuck with it but thought I'd ask.
Bobby brown worked for me. But I am quite conservative :) (small c)
Mac are good and you can usually just walk up. And too faced, if there are any near you

If you don't want to chance it KatyF you could just do your usual look but add a really strong/bold lip colour. Maybe go a bit heavier handed on the eyeliner and mascara too, but honestly, nice bold lipstick instantly dresses up a minimal look :)

If you don't want to chance it KatyF you could just do your usual look but add a really strong/bold lip colour. Maybe go a bit heavier handed on the eyeliner and mascara too, but honestly, nice bold lipstick instantly dresses up a minimal look :)

Bold lip colour scares me but I think I might give it a go! I might pop in somewhere and get them to recommend a bold lip colour! Thanks!

Bold lip colour scares me but I think I might give it a go! I might pop in somewhere and get them to recommend a bold lip colour! Thanks!

Totally get what you mean, it is weirdly intimidating the first few times you do it, but so much easier than trying to master a whole new more complex look when you're feeling under pressure :D Good luck, let us know what you go for.

I got some of those new No7 foundation drops to help mineral sunscreen leave less of a cast and I wasnt expecting much but it's actually pretty good/useful, it has a minimal ingredients list and the pigments are mineral :cool:

also recently got diagnosed with a rosacea, so trying to counter it, I'm gonna buy one of those light mask things I think

I got some of those new No7 foundation drops to help mineral sunscreen leave less of a cast and I wasnt expecting much but it's actually pretty good/useful, it has a minimal ingredients list and the pigments are mineral :cool:

also recently got diagnosed with a rosacea, so trying to counter it, I'm gonna buy one of those light mask things I think
What mineral sunscreen do you use?

I've finally got my rosacea under control - minimal redness and spot free for the first time in 7 years. Woop! It's taken a course of antibiotics and azelaic acid and then soolantra which I'm in the midst of. Fingers crossed.

well, mine is pretty mild type 2, I've not been cleansing or anything cus I fucked me arm up for past two weeks, mineral sunscreen is a bastard to get hold of I have currently got a couple, one is 'cosrx' shield fit all comfort sun and another one is 'village 11 factory' pink calming sunblock (has fragrance which i didnt notice whilst purchasing), I'm going to test them but want me skin to get a more even texture before doing so and havent really been going outside, I have got rozex gel for medication.

Planning to get 'some by mi' truecica mineral 100 calming suncream next am still figuring it out. one i used before from avene is pretty good but I didnt know it was brosacea when I used it so thought it gave a bad reaction - quite possible something else caused issues - I got a sample of clinique and those counters make me want to die and i didnt end up using it in the end

other than that I've been being as gentle as possible when cleansing cus I think friction is a major trigger for mines, I've been using various products to help redness, let me know if you want me to detail - I might do a thread at some point cus I've obv read up on a LOT about it and it's niche as well as complex, also the story of mine is well tragic and the whole thing is a combination of various things I've attributed the state of me face to individually, am just very fucked off about the situation and I should have trusted my own diagnosis instead of giving some dr benefit of doubt because I've just been contributing to the problem for years in several ways, well pissed off

PSA: caffeine is not a rosacea trigger the temperature of the drink is.

I am back at beauty school as of today doing a facials course so may need models with different skin types FYI

Last edited:
I don't know if this counts as a beauty product, but I bought a tongue scraper for 50p and I'm so pleased with it. My tongue looked so unhealthy before, and now looks pink and normal. Recommended.

I have got a LED photon therapy mask on order and is getting here on tuesday and I'm WELL excited :cool: :cool: :cool:

everything I have read about it is positive and says that it works so gonna test it out :cool:

After I went to the hairdressers and got my hair permanently coloured and then redyed it, it went horribly dry. I have very curly semi afro hair.

I bought an aloe vera leaf and used it to hydrate my hair as there is no point in trying to superficially moisturise very dry hair with oils etc as it locks the dryness in.

As well as upping my water intake by drinking cucumber water, I made an aloe vera spritz that I could spray on my hair throughout the day.

I also bought some nilotica raw shea butter and whipped it with some jojoba oil. However this is very dense and I found out the hard way that I only need a tiny bit otherwise it makes my hair heavy and greasy. Also probably best to heat the shea butter first prior to whipping.

I bought some cowash and a great leave in conditioner - 'twisted sista' and this works really well.

6-8 weeks on my hair is super hydrated and the new daily routine of using the aloe spritz on damp hair then the leave in conditioner works really well.

I only shampoo prior to dying so about once a month.

I put on my fave Lush Brazened Honey face mask yesterday morning then decided I could do without make-up bar some MAC glow stuff. About 12 hours later a woman on the train tells she had been looking at me wondering what my skin care regime & diet was. I was sat there drinking red wine!

I have also re-purchased the No7 face brush - the one with batteries & using few times a week. I had it before but muppet me took into shower & busted it. I recommend the brush. I got it half price.

A mascara primer andor topcoat. Dr.Mascara Fixer For Perfect Lash #01

I have very straight eyelashes and have to use waterproof mascara or the curl drops as soon as I add mascara. This stuff arrived today and it works. I can now use all the crap mascaras I bought so really I'm saving money and waste now. :thumbs:

I have been doing no-poo for a long time and my hair has suddenly bloomed. I do rinse every day with vinegar and about every 1-2 weeks with a shampoo bar but I'm not sure that's even necessary.

Product wise I'm in love with Lush deodorant bars. I can't remember what the one I'm using is called but it's lasting for ages and very effective at keeping dampness and odours away.

I also love Lush Coalface soap but it's £9 and doesn't last very long so it's an occasional treat.

I have been doing no-poo for a long time and my hair has suddenly bloomed. I do rinse every day with vinegar and about every 1-2 weeks with a shampoo bar but I'm not sure that's even necessary.

Product wise I'm in love with Lush deodorant bars. I can't remember what the one I'm using is called but it's lasting for ages and very effective at keeping dampness and odours away.

I also love Lush Coalface soap but it's £9 and doesn't last very long so it's an occasional treat.

I found I needed a much stronger deodorant due to perimenopause though it seems less of an issue now. I might give the Lush one a go, Mitcham ones are very effective but I'm not that keen.

I bought a big bottle of Olaplex Number 2 (for professional use only) and it really does work very well on my over-bleached hair. I put it on washed but towel dried hair and leave it under a shower cap for about 90 minutes every month or so. I think it'd be better if I did it every two weeks really, but I'm lazy.

The results are noticeably different to just doing a moisturizing hair mask. I also try to Olaplex before I get my hair bleached and then after too. I have considered asking my hairdresser to buy it instead, but it's much cheaper to just buy the bottle and do it myself.

Olaplex is a bond builder so will do nothing for grease etc. It is great for curly hair that’s been damaged or over dyed hair though and it internally supports the hydrogen bonds in the hair shaft. Number 3 can be used at home.

miss direct - is your hair straight or curly? What do you currently use?

Now if someone could recommend a shampoo for greasy, flat, lifeless hair...
I’ve been using OGX coconut water shampoo and the charcoal detox one once a week. I might try the Apple cider vinegar clarifying one soon.

How often do you wash your hair? I reduced to every other day and it made a big difference. I’ve slipped back to every day and once again my hair is greasy and lifeless.

Back
Top Bottom