Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beauty products that actually work

Been meaning to post this for a bit, Bio Oil, it is doing me no end of good, I have naturally very oily skin, it has got worse in the last couple of years, I had acne till I was about 30.

Using Bio Oil for my skin seemed very counterintuitive, a few drops on the palms of my hands, applied to my face at night, I then used my usual moisturiser over the top (felt like it helped soak it in)

By jingo it works, my skin isn't completely oil-free, I don't think that's possible for me but I tend to look more dewy now than bloody ikky :cool:

I've not had a spot since I started using it and for the first time ever a stranger complemented me on my skin unprompted.

I get spotty lizzieloo when I don't use a heavy duty moisturiser, the woman that does my facials says its cuz I'm actually very dry and overproduce oil as a consequence - if that makes any sense at all :D. Rosehip seed oil is good as well.

you should put anything oil over moisturiser because it cant penetrate through otherwise and the oil will seal everything in - its the one thing that breaks the thinnest to thickest rule of layering

when yer skin is dry it does produce more oil to compensate and usually people with it dont believe their skin is dehydrated because it's so oily and it dont make sense

i started retinoids but then stopped em cus i fucked off to the continent and hand luggage restrictions are fucking weak so taking them would have taken me over my quota and of course I got some fat old dave come up on my chin so i was walking round with a plaster on me face and minimal skincare, I aint had a dave that bad for years and now I gotta wait months for some PIE to hopefully go away

I think I need to change me cleanser from foaming to cream and me m8 just went to france so brought me back some toleriane dermo cleanse

me cheeks are still good then shit then good then shit then good then shit I am beginning to think it's rosacea tbh cus i tried loads of shit

been doing cicaplast baume B5 all over me face at night love the healing balm

I ordered a load of different floral waters to experiment making different toners and I think I figured out a couple of really good mixes that me skin seems to be loving - it wasnt one I made for me - another m8 has aggy skin so i made a mix of melissa, orange blossom, tea tree, manuka and juniper berry and i tried it and felt the magic - am getting well into making toners I got litmus papers and everything - seems me skin well loves low PH shiznits, also made me mam some spray for hot flushes which i need to get feedback on me other one i am using atm is a mix of rose, geranium, lavender, juniper berry and chamomile hydrosols

talking of PH i done something fucking stupid a few weeks ago hence the cicaplast all over me face at nights i gave meself chemical burn mixing up some vitamin c to put on me face - i got me little saucer, put the vitamin c on it, put some drops of ferulic in and a drop of toner and was like i need to mix it and i just grabbed one of those nail varnish dotting tools and mixed away and then put on me face and then raaaaah levels of burn all around me mouth where i shaved, and I tested it and the strip was fucking bright red, lads. it turns out vitamin c is like mixing hair bleach and you shouldnt use anything metal cus of some metallic ion shit or something - have since mixed with a wooden stick and was fine.

cerave have apparently launched in the uk in boots so i might end up trying some of that cus it's been on me want list forever, but I got no real need to get any now i have found other products

Right, I've got post-menopausal crinkly dry calves and ankles. Like a bloody lizard's.
The only thing I've seen recommended is This Works leg oil at £40 a throw. Fuck that.
What's super-moisturizing for the lower limb? (needs to be sensitive-friendly, not least because of big tatts in the area)

I have very dry shins, I get eczema patches on them every winter. My boring routine, which seems to stop the worst of it, is to use the in shower Nivea moisturiser followed by Aveeno lotion. I want to try some hylauronic acid body products but haven't got round to it yet, you can definitely find stuff for less than £40.

Right, I've got post-menopausal crinkly dry calves and ankles. Like a bloody lizard's.
The only thing I've seen recommended is This Works leg oil at £40 a throw. Fuck that.
What's super-moisturizing for the lower limb? (needs to be sensitive-friendly, not least because of big tatts in the area)

E45 cream?

Cheap and works very well on very dry skin

wtfftw what did you get/use in the end? My skin has gone hormone mental and it's doing my head in. Been looking at salicylic acid products, but no idea which to try.

Obviously I'm not wtfftw, but I use La Roche Posay's Effaclar Duo, which has salicylic acid, and it's so fucking good. :oops: I wish I'd found it 15 years ago. They do a version with SPF, and a tinted version too.

When it's really, really cold here I use it under an additional moisturizer, but for normal temps it works fine alone.

Atrix intensive. Big pale green tins. Usually in baby section

Obviously I'm not wtfftw, but I use La Roche Posay's Effaclar Duo, which has salicylic acid, and it's so fucking good. :oops: I wish I'd found it 15 years ago. They do a version with SPF, and a tinted version too.

When it's really, really cold here I use it under an additional moisturizer, but for normal temps it works fine alone.
Thanks yu I was thinking of getting this to try and battle in, then changing my routine. I'd not thought about using it regularly. Been advised an oil cleanser might (counter intuitively) work, and I also need a moisturiser with spf in :oops:

Was going to try one of these (any thoughts), but will check out the one you've mentioned too :thumbs:

Eau Thermale Avene Hydrance Optimale UV Light, 40ml - Boots

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aveeno-Positively-Radiant-Daily-Moisturizer/dp/B001IM5VT4

I have dry shins, can't remember what it's called but it begins with a p (not psoriasis). Any thickish moisturiser like Nivea works for me plus shaving every day weirdly really helps even though I usually forget the moisturiser, I have no idea why.

wtfftw what did you get/use in the end? My skin has gone hormone mental and it's doing my head in. Been looking at salicylic acid products, but no idea which to try.
I bought some pads with salicylic acid from tkmaxx :D but then I decided to get back to basics and focus on cleansing each night and moisturising before adding stuff. So I got a cheap cream cleanser from Superdrug and finally that ha with natural moisturising factors by the ordinary was back in stock so I got that - but in the meantime was reading up on things and also wanted to try azelaic acid and then also bought the buffet serum to get free postage. :hmm:
So I've been cleansing and moisturising and just started adding azelaic acid and buffet. I've leaving my spots at the moment tbh unless the above has any effect. Just being basic and trying to stop being so red and reactive and then I'm thinking I'll add salicylic and anything further but first see how this goes.

I'm really liking using this Garnier cleanser. Cleans really deep and gets makeup off too (including my quite hard to shift mascara), without being at all greasy. Lasts for ages too and is cheap

Attachments

• IMG_20180418_073724.jpg
    IMG_20180418_073724.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 8
Superdrug Simply Pure Hydrating Serum 50ml

this is an awesome thing I've found which has loads of good shit in it for the skin, the ingredients list looks like a pared down version of stratia liquid gold so it should be beneficial to anyone suffering dryness or rebuilding their moisture barrier or using as an after peel treatment

Aqua, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Glycereth-26, Polysorbate 60, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Boswellia Serrata Gum, Dipropylene Glycol, Allantoin, Sodium PCA, Pentylene Glycol, Sodium Lactate, Lactic Acid, Serine, Urea, Sorbitol, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Ceramide NP, Ceramide AP, Ceramide EOP, Phytosphingosine, Cholesterol, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Sodium Hydroxide, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Disodium EDTA.

it basically fills a hole in ordinary NMF because that doesnt have ceramides apparently only the precursors

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a primer? I’ve been using benefit porefessional pearly primer but I’ve spent my student loan now and I’m skint.
I’m fairly sensitive and don’t want anything mattifying.

I had really itchy shins for a long time (scarred from scratching them all the time too). I tried Aveeno (my regular moisturiser), which did nothing, followed by E45, which did nothing. Then I resorted to Sudocrem and they've never itched since. It's very heavy of course but I always have a giant tub of it in. I rate it for all sorts of things. It even helps my face sometimes too.

--

Is antiperspirant considered 'beauty'? I've just started using Simple's 48hr stick, and it's so much better than the Right Guard I was using, and I prefer it to the Mitchum I was using before that. No stinkiness, and it's the smoothest-feeling stick I've used.

Help please! I've got blotchy red bits on my face now, and while I normally don't give a flying fuck what I look like at festies, I'm wondering whether to invest in one of them there BB or CC creams. Are they any good (without me ploughing through near 50 pages, like)?

Help please! I've got blotchy red bits on my face now, and while I normally don't give a flying fuck what I look like at festies, I'm wondering whether to invest in one of them there BB or CC creams. Are they any good (without me ploughing through near 50 pages, like)?

I've used them for years and nothing else works for me. They cover up blotches and blend in well ime & I have very particular, sensitive and annoying skin.

Thank you! I also have sensitive skin, so that's extra good to hear.

Do you have a preference? I get on okay with Olay products, so was considering this one
https://www.boots.com/olay-total-effects-7in1-cc-cream-moisturiser-fair-to-medium-50ml-10163574

I find Olay a bit too greasy but that's just me. The only brand I've got on with is Seventeen (which no longer exists :mad: but I stocked up on a mass of supplies while I could).
Could you go to Boots (or wherever) and use a bit of a tester Olay one? Maybe put some on and see what it's like several hours later. I'm always wary of forking out money on face stuff as so little works for me.

I haven’t read the thread yet but does anyone use The Ordinary? Their stuff seems science based but without stupid pricing. Currently looking at their Natural Moisturising Factors + HA...

Back
Top Bottom