Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beauty products that actually work

I'm through with acids. I'm gonna have to live with dull, non-radiant skin.
Even the apparently super-mild ones make me feel like my skin's on fire and my eyes are bleeding.

what ones have you been trying and how have you been using them and whats the problems

would be helpful to know all the products and steps of yer routine and wait times if any (ie: how long you wait between layering different products) and yer skin type

i went back and read your posts and it sounds like you have a true sensitive skin type, but if that were actually the case you wouldnt be able to use liz earle cleanse and polish because it has eucalyptus and rosemary essential oils in it which are highly irritating, it's more likely chronic sensitisation - especially if you change products frequently. it can be fixed tho if it is that.

the ordinary is good at scientific info but not so hot on practical usability, like they list ph which is REALLY good, but you kinda need to know a bit about ph and skin to use em efficiently

I read a thing last night about ph which might help Why the pH of Skin and Products Are Crucially Important

Last edited:
I've started painting my nails. I used to when I was in my teens and early 20s, but just got pissed off with how quickly they chipped and looked awful. Then just before xmas my m-i-l came over and was showing off her fancy nails, saying they last for 6 weeks or something, she gets them done in Derby. I refuse to pay someone to get my nails done, and, having looked into what makes it last so long I see it's all this gel and UV light stuff (this is all alien to me), and I don't want that shit on my fingers either. So, cue me researching how to get decent wear from polishes at home.

So far I have good things to say about CND's Stickey base coat, and Nail Tek's Quicken top coat. I've just gone over my nails (on day three, no chips or scuffs or anything) with another coat of top coat (tip: run the brush along the free edge/under the nail first, then do a normal top coat) but this time Jessica's Brilliance top coat. Hopefully topping up the top coat every few days will extend the wear time, and these quick-drying top coats don't take long at all when you're topping up (because all the other layers are already nice and hard). I'm not going to get 6 weeks out of it, but I reckon I could get a week without any chips if I'm not building furniture or going rock climbing or any number of other handsy things I never do anyway.

My beautiful thumb:
IMG_6678.JPG

this video has some pretty good info

I just finished watching it, well helped me understand my skin agg better, i dont agree with the oil advice cus oils oxidise really quickly and i think squalane is better than any oil, but the majority of it was pretty sound imo

just started this one - so far I am like wtf jane nooooo

Last edited:
what ones have you been trying and how have you been using them and whats the problems
To call what I have a 'routine' would be stretching it a bit :D
The latest thing I tried was Clinique Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief and it KILLED. I've had to give up the Liz Earle cleanser, because that hurt too, like you said. The moisturiser seems to be ok though.
So I'm cleansing with a Konjac sponge and water, with a bit of Olay Complete (Sensitive) on cottonwool for eye makeup, and using the Liz Earle moisturiser after. Olay for daytime. Skin seems to be happy, so I'm through with trying to use fancy stuff :D

I mean the acids, is your water hard? and has your skin always been like this?

you might find that getting some few-ingredient un-fancy products like avene for a month or so and use things to help yer skin repair and feed it for a bit makes it loads better, but it seems like yer over the whole thing lol

I mean the acids, is your water hard? and has your skin always been like this?

you might find that getting some few-ingredient un-fancy products like avene for a month or so and use things to help yer skin repair and feed it for a bit makes it loads better, but it seems like yer over the whole thing lol
Water's super soft round here. I've only realised how sensitive my skin is in recent years, because I was a soap and water girl for decades. Now I'm in my fifties, I keep thinking I should make more of an effort, when I see the complicated stuff other people do, but I've not found anything painless yet. I'll have a look at Avene - ta for the recommendation!

you basically wanna go really basic for at least a month, stop using muslin cloths and flannels, remove cleansers with cotton wool and if you need to use a cloth get a microfibre soft one, stop face masks, stop exfoliating, use distilled floral water or a basic alcohol free toner (not avene toner cus it has fragrance in it)to tone and remove cleanser residues and be gentle with it no rubbing and then use a moisturiser that has urea in it I know eucerin do one, i *think* kiehls ultrafacial does as well or ordinary off the top of my head and then sunscreen - i know it's like bore off when everyone else is going look what awesome products i got, but it's worth it cus yer skin might not actually be as fucked as you think it is

my cheeks are like a babys arse after about 6-7 years of it being fucked and not bothering with it cus of bare depression, but at least thats kept me inside so i dont have that much sun damage, am sorting it out thats why i asked about the water cus I was suspicious it was fucking my skin up so i kept me face away from tapwater since like november and cleansing with rosewater and cleanser on cotton pads removing it with toner and then hydrating with thermal spring water in a can, i would definitely recommend squalane because it's in your skin, a baby has around 12% an 80 yr old has around 5% (iirc) and it rapidly depletes after the age of 30ish and hyauloronic acid

it's really concerning me actually that I'm trying to find the ingredients list for Clinique Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief and cant really find any, one relating to a old 2014 formula, usually theres not this much hassle, was trying to see wtf is in it to pinpoint what the reaction might be there just out of curiosity really and personal beef with misleading products

also theres this shit you can get from LRP called cicaplast baume B5 which can be layered over the top of moisturisers it's a skin soothing repairing balm with antibacterial agents and lots of glycerine and dimethicone to form a protective barrier - i got a sample and trying it out atm on a peeling patch near me lip from being cack handed, seems pretty handy so far and is suitable for babies

just remembered they do a line called toleruiane or something which is for highly reactive skin that i have heard good things about

Last edited:
I've been using a decleor night balm recently which has soothed and calmed down my skin beautifully. I was having sensitive, spotty and patchy areas in my face, I reckon I had overdoneit with products from the ordinary as I tried lots of new ones at once (switching from a Caudalie and REN routine). My skin fucked up, the weather got to me and I was in the shit. Been using alpha-h exfoliator and this night balm (different long arse daytime routine) for a couple of weeks and I'm now hydrated, not irritated, the texture of my skin is improving and old red bits are fading.
Fucking love this stuff. I used the ordinary' salicylic acid underneath it to curtail some spots and it worked really well.

see I'd use that balm as an occlusive on top of a moisturiser or hyaluronic acid + thermal water tbh if i *had* to use it as it's just a blend of oils and quite heavy on essentials so wouldnt out of choice, but if it's working for you then awesome

Are there any moisturisers that are... I don't know... fun to use? Or smell gorgeous and come in a spectacular pot?

In my mid forties now and still don't have a regular skincare regime beyond makeup wipes in the morning before a new layer of slap.

I do use a foaming cleanser if I'm in the bath. And a Clinique cream cleanser on the rare occasions that I take makeup off before bed. On those occasions I remember to use night cream too. But... yeah... rare. :oops:

Thing is, there's no tangible reward so I just forget.

Anyway, I don't have bad skin for my age but all of you are doing all this complicated stuff and I feel like maybe I should do something.

So, I'm thinking I could do a one step day cream before foundation in the mornings. Or, realistically, instead of (because I have five minutes to do everything face and hair related in my current morning routine). No serums or vit c.

But if I'm not going to forget, it would help if I actually looked forward to using it. Am I looking for the moon on a stick?

Should I just carry on as I am and get an subtle eye lift when I'm fifty?

Edit - half my face up close photo. Only eyeliner and remains of lipstick here. Skin is neither dry nor oily. Not sensitive. However exfoliating did worsen the permanent red spots on my cheeks (rosacea?) only real wrinkles are around the eyes.

Attachments

• IMG_4851.JPG
    IMG_4851.JPG
    249.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I wanna say yes, but everything that has nice packaging and is fragranced does fuck all cus yer paying for said extras

have you shought about a CAIS non surgical facelift, I found a beauty academy with a pro salon that does em for not very much at all considering - me and my mam are gonna go so can report back, but i heard very good things about microcurrent

theres a thing the ordinary sell that is a topical cousin to botox, it's molecularly similar from what i have read and doesnt relax muscles but inhibits their movement a bit it's in the buffet but i just ordered the 10% argireline i think it's called it's under other molecules - i got it cus i swear the buffet is improving shit and i feel like i cant squint as much so that shit needs boosting asap

I have ordered the granactive retinoid emulsion too to try and melt me forehead

best thing you can do tho is stop the face wipes and use cotton wool and cleanser, if yer skint then use johnsons baby lotion i used to use that years ago - for the realest the cleansing is the most laborious boring thing but i been making myself actually do it before sleeping instead of passing out the difference is huge, if you cleanse properly at night and you aint got skanky pillows that aint been washed for weeks then you dont really need to cleanse in the morning imo, I just give my face a wipe with toner or rosewater wouldnt work if yer greasy or got acne tho or sweating

I'd need to know about yer skin a bit to advise products, I been helping my mam with her skin as well

as for the looking forward to using it if you see it doing something to your face then you'll keep doing it? maybe you're just disillusioned - i just realised i dint read lots properly so ignore the cleansing shit

Last edited:
Yeah I was looking at non-surgical eyelifts. Would need to save up though.

The thing is, my skin is fine. Maybe get three or four spots a year (one at a time) on my jaw area, hormone related. Pores could be a bit smaller but don't get blackheads. Not sensitive. Not anything. It's just skin.

I drink a lot of fluids and I hardly ever go outside. I don't smoke. I get lots of sleep (too much).

I would recommend EUK-134 tbh, it's a self regenerating antyioxidant, as well as moisturiser from ordinary if you were able to sneak in a second product during the day (you can mix em if that helps), i just started using it and my skin is amazing and i got my mam on the ferulic acid one and shes looking well more even in tone, if you got definite rosacea then azealic acid really helps with it - i know someone who uses it for rosacea and another for cystic acne -at night as a last step

not luxurious i know :(

Last edited:
if you're looking for absolute basics then yeah take your makeup off in the evening and quick moisturise before makeup in the morning.

i take my makeup off in front of the tv - i use a cream cleanser and cotton wool and just repeat until the cotton wool is still clean after wiping, no mirror required, nice and easy. then i usually use a face wipe to remove any residue.

olay basic moisturiser is still my favourite for the morning as it's light and goes nicely under makeup

http://www.boots.com/olay-pink-beauty-fluid-moisturiser-200ml-limited-edition-10004853
don't know why it says limited edition there i've been using it practically since i was a child...

Do armpits count as beauty? I need an antiperspirant/ deodorant. As my hormones are changing, I'm finding I need stronger stuff. I ended up spending loads on a Kiehl's antiperspirant, which does work well on me, and I like Kiehl's stuff, it's just that it's a bit messy, and well expensive.

Do armpits count as beauty? I need an antiperspirant/ deodorant. As my hormones are changing, I'm finding I need stronger stuff. I ended up spending loads on a Kiehl's antiperspirant, which does work well on me, and I like Kiehl's stuff, it's just that it's a bit messy, and well expensive.
I really rate lady Mitchum in the clear gel formula (none of the others are anywhere near as effective, ime).

For years you could only get the clear gel in the states - meaning more than 15 years of getting friends to bring it back for me in bulk... but i bought some in our big Sainsbury’s (?) the other day.

I really rate lady Mitchum in the clear gel formula (none of the others are anywhere near as effective, ime).

For years you could only get the clear gel in the states - meaning more than 15 years of getting friends to bring it back for me in bulk... but i bought some in our big Sainsbury’s (?) the other day.

Thanks. I tried one of the other Michum's and it seemed ok to begin with but then less so, I'll give this one a try.

I’ve been suffering with posterior Blepharitis (an eye condition which is basically like having dandruff but around the lashes and the rest of the skin gets affected, crusty eyes in the morning (yuck) and puffiness) since Nov. Fuck knows why but it came on after a heavily stressful trip to Malaysia. Maybe it was the family stress, the short stay/long journey and aircon etc...anyway, it went away and come back. Had my eyes checked twice now by my optician but they give you the usual general bullshit. Even saw my gp, utterly useless so I turn to my intelligence and dr Google. Tried loads of stuff: tea tree oil with fractionated organic coconut oil, castor oil, Manuka honey, eating cod liver oil, baby shampoo washes...nothing was working then last week I was in the new Aldi and had read about their skincare range online somewhere like: Aldi's anti-ageing skincare costs £220 less than its rival... but is it as good? not this article but there’s a few about...and I bought their eye gel. Well, blow me down...it’s a miracle. Now more puffiness, no more scaly, dry, yuckiness, the silly lines have gone and my eyes are smooth again! I still use lots of eye drops but the skin itself is just back to how it was pre blepharitis. I’m so impressed. It only cost £3.99. I’m going back to get more snd their serum which I read is also nearly as good as le Prairie’s £200 odd bottle! Thanks Mr and Mrs Aldi.

I am gonna look at whats in it :cool: (cant find the bloody things!!)

actually do you use micellar water? I'm asking cus I saw someone mention something specifically about eye soreness and residues, so just curious

also, how is your hair going?

Last edited:
I am gonna look at whats in it :cool: (cant find the bloody things!!)

actually do you use micellar water? I'm asking cus I saw someone mention something specifically about eye soreness and residues, so just curious

also, how is your hair going?
I've just been reading up about M water..interesting...especially about the French cleansing habits...I might get some and see...do you use it?

I didn't even look at what was in the eye gel...I probably should know :facepalm:...let me know your findings if any...

My hair is looking pretty wicked I must say! I'll try and post a pic later...I basically took your advice and don't shampoo frequently and rarely condition...I should oil it more but I don't...I've taken to wearing my flat cap cos it's friggin freezing but hair seems less fluffy and more manageable...

ahh it was about the micellar leaving residues that cause eye soreness, I had it before i stopped using micellar - I'd say if you use it do a cotton sweep after with water to make sure theres none left around the eyes

link that eye gel i cant find it lol

93132362-A617-4C86-A5B4-4B8A5AA3C371.png
ahh it was about the micellar leaving residues that cause eye soreness, I had it before i stopped using micellar - I'd say if you use it do a cotton sweep after with water to make sure theres none left around the eyes

link that eye gel i cant find it lol

I thought this was just me, micellar water really fucks up my eyes. I have to rinse with water after, I might just bin the bottle unless anyone wants it?

So i have yet to buy any morning skincare, but did start using night cream. Nothing particularly rich. But it made my face really sweaty / greasy the next day. So i’ve stopped.

I think maybe im better off leaving my skin alone.

i think all night cream is quite rich. if you've got more time in the evening probably worth just using a normal moisturiser so at least you're getting some benefit.

I used the Ordinary Rosehip oil for the first time last night - wow is that stuff good! Yes it's oily on your skin when you apply it but by morning is completely absorbed and my skin is like a babies bum.

Has anyone used their glycolic acid peel? I'd like to try it I'm a wee bit scared

Reactions: izz
Back
Top Bottom