Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beauty products that actually work

Got Space NK vouchers on my birthday, so decided to spend some of it on good mascara, having recently finished one - got an Eyeko Lash Alert one, as I'd heard they were top-notch mascaras and I am pretty impressed. Easy to apply, even with my wobbly hands, looks really nice and stays on seriously well (but comes off fine with remover).

I use a Lancôme eyeliner I was given a few years ago and I loved it so I just buy another every three months and carry on. Ditto Lancôme eyeliner.

I was given a lipstick queen frog prince lipstick which is green, but goes pink on the skin- but a different pink on everyone. I *love* it

fuckin nuxe reve de miel lip balm - looks quite matte

that effaclar cleanser someone mentioned is HG > tip - foam it up on yer hands before rubbing on yer face

rosewater

theres a 17 mascara that is comparable to dior show - it's the falsifeye HD one - i dunno if boots still do it

with hyaluronic acid it's better on damp skin cus it holds so much water, otherwise it'll draw water from deeper in yer skin to the surface and it'll dry you out more, then put an occlusive layer (moisturiser, oil, sunscreen etc) on top to seal the moisture in

refectocil eyebrow tints, well better than that eyelure shite

the ordinary NMF is hands down the moisturiser i have been looking for for years, if they stop selling this shit I will die, 100% HG

with glycolic acid it's better to apply them to dry skin because sometimes water can interfere with ph so it gets neutralised and it can promote irritation because the skin is more absorbent - glycolic is the smallest acid molecule iirc so goes in really quickly

i am gonna go back to beauty school to learn facials :cool:

Last edited:
My friend got me an eos lip balm for my birthday, which I wasn't thrilled with, because I don't like lip balm, but it actually doesn't give me that weird queasy feeling other lip balms do, and it doesn't go all strange after a couple of hours and need reapplying. It's minty, which I could do without, because it feels like my lips are aroused, but otherwise quite impressive, for a lip balm.

Can you lovely people talk to me about moisturiser? I LOVED Boots protect & perfect but it's just too expensive for me to keep up at the moment :( I had their eye and face serum and day cream. Loved them. I've got out of the habit and imo you can tell :( My face looks as old as it is and then some :D I've got 2 months of serious stress and work and I need something nice.

I tried some serum and cream from Aldi but it was too heavy for me. I'm nearly out of it now and want a replacement. My skin is nothing difficult, I have no allergies, but I don't wear make up and I like something light.

Anyone got any ideas?

According to the BBC show the other day looking at the best beauty products, the cheap as chips tub of Nivea came out top as most moisturising.
Looking Good, The Truth About... - BBC One
Post Deciem the cost is no longer an indicator of a good quality product. And thank christ for that.
St Caroline says: eat well, sleep well, wipe with fruit acids, wear something containing retinol at night and sunscreen during the day. She pops supplements like a crazy (rich) person but I've been surprised how much my skin improved with a wipe over with a first aid beauty pad every night before my moisturizer.
Face Radiance Pads- 28 Pads | M&S

I use the Ordinary products, but I'm not very consistent, and I don't know how much difference they make, but I like them. May try the moisturiser, and need something for my eyes, they do a caffeine product but it's not available here yet, or was and now isn't, I can't tell.

I bought the Hylamide Sub Q eye serum in the Deciem (parent complany of the Ordinary, Hylamide, NIOD etc) Black Friday Sale. I really like it, but at 27 quid I'll find it hard to justify buying it at normal price once it's run out. I'd recommend it if you're feeling flush though!

M&S Formula products are good - I really like the cleanser with hyaluronic acid and the sleep cream which I recently got a sample of.

Also good is the Naturally Radiant range from Superdrug. I’m currently using the glycolic toning pads, the overnight glycolic peel and the hot cloth cleanser. The night cream is supposed to be good and it’s BOGOF at the moment.

From the Ordinary, I’m on my umpteenth bottle of hyaluronic acid serum and Buffet peptide serum. I also rate the retinoid with Squalane and the rosehip oil.

I use lots and lots of hot water, nothing else and my skin has never been so soft, can’t believe how clean it feels tbh. We have soft water in the midlands though so maybe that makes a difference. You need to use more hot water than you think.

choose something that has urea in it cus it really helps barrier function

protect and get rekt serum is funny, cus they spout loads of PR about the matryxil in it, but when I was looking into it a while ago the matrixyl was like the third to last ingredient on the stack so it's benefit is negligible - what it DOES have a lot of is a derivitive of vitamin C (sodium ascorbyl phosphate) which is probably contributing to most of it's brightening and evening effects

so I'd recommend a vitamin c serum in combination with a good moisturiser something with hyaluronic acid in it and urea

that bbc programme was jokes for various reasons, especially them testing basic moisturisers for skin benefits LOL - i did like the blatant kiehls shade tho lol

and i looked up who this caroline hirons is cus shes never actually crossed me radar, that was pretty jokes as well, cant say I was that impressed, theres no actual info about her which seems odd, well there is but it's all retail and brands which I'm personally really wary of - and the double cleanse thing she needs to sit down cus I been double cleansing for yeaaars she never invented it, it's not a new thing lol

Last edited:
So, I use, try to use, matrylix and HA, retinol in squaline, and vit c (cream not a serum) all from the Ordinary. I'm never sure when to use the vit c, presumably after the retinol? Or maybe that's better AM? And do i need to use everything every day? I'm in my forties, my skin is fine, no specific problems just getting older.

So, I use, try to use, matrylix and HA, retinol in squaline, and vit c (cream not a serum) all from the Ordinary. I'm never sure when to use the vit c, presumably after the retinol? Or maybe that's better AM? And do i need to use everything every day? I'm in my forties, my skin is fine, no specific problems just getting older.
I literally understand not a word of this post :D

Personally I wouldn't use Vit C after a Retinol. I use Vit C in the mornings, after Buffet/SubQ. I don't use it every morning.

My routine is cleanse, Buffet and HA (Sub Q and Sub Q eyes atm), sometimes Vit C, Moisturiser and sunscreen in the mornings.
PM is double cleanse, Buffet and HA, usually Retinol (still on the emulsion) and Rosehip Oil. Once a week I use the AHA Peel and follow that with Rosehip Oil only. I have some 'problems' with melasma which I suppose I could treat more aggressively but I am noticing a slow improvement over time with this regime and I am happy with the condition of my skin.

vit c in morning under sunscreen cus it improves efficacy and the retinoids at night cus they are photosensitive imo - i dont really fuck with them shits tho

like retinoids are well aggressive and vit c is an acid so i wouldnt layer the two personally

whoever mentioned caroline, i gotta say cheers for the tip off, I found SO much internet beefs on her it's hilarious, I'm still reading through a like 100 odd page thread calling her out on her bullshit

Last edited:
I've ordered some stuff. I looked at the suggested regime on The Ordinary and have used that as a starting point but with vit C too.

I don't have enough girl ability for this shit :oops:

what vit c did you get? they all gotta be used slighhtly differently

i just watched caroline SCRUB her face with a acid soaked cotton pad multiple times :cool:, if any of you watch her well dont do this, it should just be a single gentle sweep over the skin - she is proper giving me horrors i swear

and the ordinary matrixyl I would use as a booster to buffet serum

Advice pls.

Age 55, skin pretty decent for age, a couple of small areas of hyper pigmentation, no allergies, generally problem free skin.

Anything specific I should be looking for? I use the Boots No7 serum, moisturiser and oil makeup remover currently. I'm totally out of touch with skincare and I would like at least try to stave off old lady skin as long as possible.

I'm not sure why but I deleted my post up the thread and kept the double post one. :facepalm:

I got bought the Deciem Niod gift box for Christmas but I feel like I need more stuff to go with it. Has anyone been go their shops? Are they helpful?

The last few posts have been really helpful, I might try and cobble together a regime from the products mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom