Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beauty products that actually work

Absolutely. I remember me and my friend sitting in her bedroom post-rave, having degrimed ourselves, listening to her groaning 'ahhhh, fresh goo' as she smeared her face in Olay :D
That's one of my favourite things to do at festies that. Sit down with the wet wipes and the 'fresh goo' and feel your face go 'ahhhh' :cool:

Give us some more tips soj... they wouldn't give me any samples! Going to try a different shop on Weds, who did you ask?
Wonder why not? I just go up to the No 7 stall, browse the stuff, then say I'm thinking of buying X product and could they give me a sample to try please, as I don't buy anything without trying it out first.

I can recommend Boots No 7 Radiant Glow Foundation. There are lots of different shades so you can get a good colour match (they have one of those nifty devices in store to do the matching). I am warm ivory and it's perfect - better than some of the higher end foundations I've tried. And only £12.50.

ooh.. that's interesting! I might try that next.

Caroline Hirons ftw!

My other good buy recently is Moroccanoil hydrating styling creme. My hair (non treated, fine but thick, a bit wavy) is incredibly silky and soft, and it's much easier to blow dry. Not cheap, but you only need a small amount. I reckon a bottle will last me the best part of a year.

Caroline Hirons ftw!

My other good buy recently is Moroccanoil hydrating styling creme. My hair (non treated, fine but thick, a bit wavy) is incredibly silky and soft, and it's much easier to blow dry. Not cheap, but you only need a small amount. I reckon a bottle will last me the best part of a year.

Argan oil works wonders. I put some on every time after I wash and towel-dry my hair. The secret is to just apply tiny amounts and really fluff it all through your hair, and to only use it on wet hair.

I went to a fancy salon and they convinced me to buy a bottle of the Morocanoil shampoo when I was swimming all the time, and I have to say it was the best shampoo I ever used.

rby-morrocona-oil-shampoo-conditioner-de.jpg

I also use this every day

garnier-bb-cream.jpg

and this...I have really sensitive eyes, and all Physician's Formula stuff is non-irritating

Physicians-Formula-Eye-Booster-1.jpg

and also kind of obsessed with Thann body lotions and other stuff. They have the travel sized ones at Marriot hotels - but they honestly smell amazing. They go for big $, even the small one that have obviously been pilfered from housekeeping carts, etc, on ebay. The aromatic wood is a grown-up, subtle unisex sandalwood & cedar

51A9x7pOnkL._AA160_FMwebp_.jpg

Tigi Root Boost is excellent for thin fine hair - just spray at roots.

I use the Tigi bedhead thickifier too, just a little. Does wonders, can thoroughly recommend both :thumbs:
I read an article by India Knight the other day where she was raving about John Frieda's 7 Day Volume In Shower Treatment. She said it really works on hair that is thinning. Might be worth a try. :)

Conversely, I have very thick wavy dry hair and John Frieda extra strength serum has worked wonders. Non frizzy controllable hair that I can brush without a battle and adding on loads of other products. I do use more than they say to on the bottle but my hair is long.

Argan oil works wonders. I put some on every time after I wash and towel-dry my hair. The secret is to just apply tiny amounts and really fluff it all through your hair, and to only use it on wet hair.

I went to a fancy salon and they convinced me to buy a bottle of the Morocanoil shampoo when I was swimming all the time, and I have to say it was the best shampoo I ever used.

rby-morrocona-oil-shampoo-conditioner-de.jpg
If I was going to get some of that Moroccan Oil stuff which would be better for my extremely dry hair - the treatment oil or the hydrating mask?

If I was going to get some of that Moroccan Oil stuff which would be better for my extremely dry hair - the treatment oil or the hydrating mask?

I find that the occasional hair masks etc, aren't really worth the money, because the effect is temporary and then you just have to do it again after you shampoo next. I would just get a morrocan oil shampoo/conditioner and use the oil every time you wash your hair, while it's damp. then you probably won't need the deep treatment stuff.

OK I need some help. I want some makeup as I now have nothing. Not one bit. I want some mascara but I don't want massive eye lashes, or clumps, or thick jet black. I just want a brown normal mascara that just uses what I already have. Any ideas where I might source such a thing? Everywhere seems to be black only, or clumping, extending, false eyes type stuff and I don't want that. I want something much more natural.

Then eye shadow. I've had my eye on the urban decay naked palette 2 for a while but at £30 for an occasional user it seems too much money. What are decent high street brands to choose from? Or more importantly, who makes shit eye shadow that will smudge or go crap really quickly that I need to avoid?

And then I need some 'try to not look like you're hurtling to 40' face cream but I'm going to reread this thread first.

I like No 7. It's reasonably priced and suits my v sensitive allergy prone skin - love their protect and perfect range too.

No 7 Protect & Perfect is the definition of a beauty product that actually works - I can't sing its praises loudly enough. On makeup I think they're a bit meh - it's not cheap or nasty, doesn't tend to clag up or give you spots or anything, but for me the slap is a bit overpriced and not quite luxurious enough for the money. I've always liked Bourjois for eyeshadows but don't know if they have a palette or colour(s) you'd really like. If you start using the antiwrinkle serum before you actually arrive at age 40 you won't just stop hurtling towards the date, you might even throw time into reverse altogether. DO IT NOW!

OK I need some help. I want some makeup as I now have nothing. Not one bit. I want some mascara but I don't want massive eye lashes, or clumps, or thick jet black. I just want a brown normal mascara that just uses what I already have. Any ideas where I might source such a thing? Everywhere seems to be black only, or clumping, extending, false eyes type stuff and I don't want that. I want something much more natural.

Boots Natural Collection, £1.99. I bought one today in brown-black.

I spend on foundation and mascara but buy cheap eyeshadow etc and I don't really think it's worth the extra money. Others might disagree though and I tend to wear very neutral eye colours. I bought madam v a primer from Urban decay and she said her eyeshadow stays on forever with that.

I've got a sample mascara that I've been using since mine dried up and I really like it. It's No7, I'll check which one in a bit.

I've started using Bio Oil on my face at night. I think it is making my skin look a lot better.

I spend on foundation and mascara but buy cheap eyeshadow etc and I don't really think it's worth the extra money. Others might disagree though and I tend to wear very neutral eye colours. I bought madam v a primer from Urban decay and she said her eyeshadow stays on forever with that.

I've got a sample mascara that I've been using since mine dried up and I really like it. It's No7, I'll check which one in a bit.
urban decay primer potion. you need a tiny amount, and it works pretty well. costs around a tenner.

I've fallen for GOSH cosmetics recently. Their eyeliners are brilliant, highly pigmented, great range of colours, stay put. I also bought a lipstick that is not only the most flattering shade on me but lasted most of the night through a heavy drinking, sweaty dancing party.

May not be what you're after aqua but they do have some nice looking eyeshadow palettes - I've got my eye on a few :oops:

I've fallen for GOSH cosmetics recently. Their eyeliners are brilliant, highly pigmented, great range of colours, stay put. I also bought a lipstick that is not only the most flattering shade on me but lasted most of the night through a heavy drinking, sweaty dancing party.

May not be what you're after aqua but they do have some nice looking eyeshadow palettes - I've got my eye on a few :oops:
Where do I find GOSH?

Just been reading back on this thread. To say I'm out of my comfort zone is an understatement. You're all using words that I don't understand :oops:

Then eye shadow. I've had my eye on the urban decay naked palette 2 for a while but at £30 for an occasional user it seems too much money. What are decent high street brands to choose from? Or more importantly, who makes shit eye shadow that will smudge or go crap really quickly that I need to avoid?

And then I need some 'try to not look like you're hurtling to 40' face cream but I'm going to reread this thread first.
Makeup Revolution do copies of the naked palettes for £4 a pop, they're called Iconic 1, 2 & 3 and are v good. I think Superdrug sell them but I've only ever bought them online

I've been using a Clinique serum that came in a freebie bag. It's very good - makes me look all glowy (definitely not pregnant :p). I have this theory that the miniatures of new things they put in the freebie bags are really good but the big versions are rubbish :hmm: Been stung before.

aqua I'm using Maybelline's Nudes palette atm, which is good value for about a tenner. 12 shades. I really like it, and I see it's got some good reviews.

Back
Top Bottom