Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beauty products that actually work

ooh - I've just got the fudge violet conditioner. I was already using the lush violet shampoo (Daddy-o), which I may replace with fudge when it runs out. I've been usin g daddy-o for years, because of the smell - but fudge is supposed to be the dog's bollocks for combating yellow tones.
The fudge shampoo is ace! The salon loved it and will be getting some in.... We used some crazy colours but not directions as the supplier didn't have any. It was a pink bottle. I had platinum put on after the second round of bleach and it didn't do a lot really. The shampoo put the final tone in.

I'm getting in a pickle with this oil cleansing method thing and I really want to do it! I've read loads of blogs but I'm still wondering if I've got it right.:facepalm:
I'm going to order castor oil, almond oil, rose water for toner and shit loads of flannels. Does that sound about right? Seriously confused. :D

sojourner thanks for all the skin care tips on here - I have been reading the thread and trying out some of the ones you mentioned. Not sure what's working but it's nice to give my face a bit of TLC time. :)

sojourner thanks for all the skin care tips on here - I have been reading the thread and trying out some of the ones you mentioned. Not sure what's working but it's nice to give my face a bit of TLC time. :)
I was just trying it all out for myself tbh boohoo - never used anything like this before! But cheers - I think it does make a difference, especially to my middle-aged smoker/drinker skin :)

I've got a little bit of skin redness on my face at the moment, I think it's a mixture of a few things including a bit of winter sunburn. I found a remedy for combatting it, blend oatmeal and cucumber to make a mask. I'm going to try this tonight.

I'm going to do the snail gel mask tomorrow. Anyone used it? I know the hand creme felt lovely in store

I've got a little bit of skin redness on my face at the moment, I think it's a mixture of a few things including a bit of winter sunburn. I found a remedy for combatting it, blend oatmeal and cucumber to make a mask. I'm going to try this tonight.
It worked really well, I have some more in the fridge and I might use it again tomorrow.

At the suggestion of sparklefish I have a no 7 skin brush thingy. It's electric and exfoliates gently and I bloody love it.

Worm uses it too so it may get knackered quickly but you can get replacement heads apparently

I bought Sally Hansen 'Insta-Dri Top Coat' and used it last night for first time and it's amazing. It dries your nails in 30 seconds which it certainly did but I was still careful. I did my usual & left nail painting to last minute so did it with my coat on and bag ready and then out the door but about 30 minutes later my nails were rock hard dry & there is no chipping today. It's £5.99 in Boots & buy one get a second half price.
instadrytopcoat.png

I bought Sally Hansen 'Insta-Dri Top Coat' and used it last night for first time and it's amazing. It dries your nails in 30 seconds which it certainly did but I was still careful. I did my usual & left nail painting to last minute so did it with my coat on and bag ready and then out the door but about 30 minutes later my nails were rock hard dry & there is no chipping today. It's £5.99 in Boots & buy one get a second half price.
instadrytopcoat.png
Splendid call - try it over gel varnish, makes y'nails look like jellybeans !

Yay kittyP. I think I might get some essential rose oil and add a few drops to mine.
Do you (or anyone else) have any tips about buying essential oils? My understanding is that Rose absolute is very, very expensive - but obv used diluted so it goes a long way, and therefore i don't mind paying. But looking online there seems to be a huge variance in prices, even when you get down to which really is the 100% rose absolute oil.

Compounding this, almost all essential oil suppliers seem to be labelled with cheap inkjet colour printing labels not seen elsewhere since around about 2002. Which makes me doubt their authenticity.

Do you (or anyone else) have any tips about buying essential oils? My understanding is that Rose absolute is very, very expensive - but obv used diluted so it goes a long way, and therefore i don't mind paying. But looking online there seems to be a huge variance in prices, even when you get down to which really is the 100% rose absolute oil.

Compounding this, almost all essential oil suppliers seem to be labelled with cheap inkjet colour printing labels not seen elsewhere since around about 2002. Which makes me doubt their authenticity.
Gosh I hope this doesn't count as advertising but there's a place in Glastonbury called Star Child (I know :rolleyes:) stocks it and do mail order - can't say whether or not they're value for money but they are a legitimate supplier. http://www.starchild.co.uk/products/6564_3312_rose-absolute.aspx

instadrytopcoat.png

I am such a sheep, I went out and bought some of this today after reading your posts :D Will try it out tomorrow.

I have been taking more care of my skin for the last couple of months, following tips on this thread, and it looks so much better than it ever has. My 'routine' is a bit of a mishmash, but seems to be working - either use a Naturally Thinking hot cloth cleanser, a Dead Sea facewash I got from the local crunchy health food store or Superdrug vit E scrub, followed by B. Serum (cruelty free range from Superdrug, pretty good actually) and either a Naturally Thinking moisturiser or a Benefit triple action moisturiser my MIL gave me for my birthday.

Aside from the odd big red spot, which I think are hormonal, my skin is calmer than it ever has been. No more random dry patches, less blackheads, even my weird and horrible angular chelitis seems to have cleared up. I have also massively cut down on drinking which has surely helped, but all in all I'm well impressed with this grown up skincare lark.

Can you paint the Sally Hansen stuff over any polish? How dry does the polish have to be first? I have loads of varnish I never wear as it takes too long to dry and gets smudged while waiting.

I discovered this thread last week and have just finished reading the whole thing :D My skin has been completely ravaged by dryness, age, smoking too much weed, drinking too much everything (except water) and not getting enough sleep. I've just been washing it in the shower and using my son's eczema cream :oops: At the end of last year it was looking awful - really wrinkly, lumpy texture, grey, awful.

So for Christmas I got some fancy stuff:

Elemis Pro Collagen cleansing balm (hot cloth cleanser)
Elemis Pro Collagen Marine cream (moisturiser)
Kiehls Midnight Recovery Concentrate (oil)

I also use Nivea Q10 eye cream and Nivea eye make up remover.

It's made a huge difference - the deep lines are still there but the fine ones don't show as much and the general quality of my skin is much better.

However, obviously while I can recommend these extremely expensive products I can't actually afford to replace them when they run out :mad:

So I'm currently looking at Akamuti rice bran oil with an essential oil to make it smell nice (maybe geranium) as a hot cloth cleanser, and an Oz serum. I can't figure out if I need anything else? The oil seems to function as a cleanser and moisturiser - so you wipe it off and then add more...?

Oh also thanks to wtfftw for the youtube eyeliner videos :cool: I'm not convinced it will CHANGE MY LIFE as the woman suggests, but it's definitely smartened my eyes up a bit :)

I'm still trying to work it out on my eyes. They're not hooded in a covered lid way but my outside crease comes low. I'm not convinced it's ever going to look right.

polly The Boots Organic Hot Cloth cleanser is meant to be good. I also like Uma Brennan's creamy rose cleaner. For oil, the Sanctuary ones are on offer in Boots atm for £12 and also everything is on a 2 for 3 offer. The Wonder Serum Oil (I think that's what it's called) is a serum and moisturiser in one and very nice. If you have a bit more to spend, Clinique Take the Day Off balm is very good.

I'm still trying to work it out on my eyes. They're not hooded in a covered lid way but my outside crease comes low. I'm not convinced it's ever going to look right.

I think the gradient of the flick is quite important, if that makes sense :hmm: Maybe you'd need less of a flick than the women in the videos?

polly The Boots Organic Hot Cloth cleanser is meant to be good. I also like Uma Brennan's creamy rose cleaner. For oil, the Sanctuary ones are on offer in Boots atm for £12 and also everything is on a 2 for 3 offer. The Wonder Serum Oil (I think that's what it's called) is a serum and moisturiser in one and very nice. If you have a bit more to spend, Clinique Take the Day Off balm is very good.

Thank you! Can you not just use an oil as a cleanser?

Back
Top Bottom