Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beauty products that actually work

I'll pop in somewhere and have a go with a tester, cheers :) should know within a minute or so.

I've got honey and raisin
Oooh. Is that one of the sheer ones? I've only tried the POW (my name for them, I dunno what they're really called) really colourful ones. I think you'e got beautiful colouring, you could totally rock something bright!

Ah that's two different ones, both up the brown end though...

246580.jpg

Sali Hughes from the Guardian said the absolute best thing you can do for your skin is cleanse it properly, especially if you wear makeup. She also advocates the hot cloth method.

*stern look at all the facial wipes people on this thread*

I use a face wash and rinse it off with warm water. I do use a wipe as well to get rid of any remaining mascara/liner. Is that still bad? [emoji1]
I don't take my make-up off before I go to bed either. [emoji33]

I don't wear make up that often, but I do cycle in quite heavy traffic :hmm: I used a cleanser this morning in the shower (I'd used my flannel to wipe sick off my daughter last night :facepalm: ).

ooh those have different names, I guess they've changed in the last 4 years :oops:
No, they're a newer, additional range. The original chubby sticks are still going, with the same names I presume. This is a range that's less 'hint of colour' and more 'ALL THE COLOUR'.

I use a face wash and rinse it off with warm water. I do use a wipe as well to get rid of any remaining mascara/liner. Is that still bad? [emoji1]
I don't take my make-up off before I go to bed either. [emoji33]
When do you wash your face then? :confused:

No, they're a newer, additional range. The original chubby sticks are still going, with the same names I presume. This is a range that's less 'hint of colour' and more 'ALL THE COLOUR'.
:facepalm: now I've read your post properly and seen the word INTENSE on them.

:oops:

I reckon I'll try on the chilli and maraschino, maybe after the dentist later for that extra challenge :D

I only buy make-up which washes off so that I don't have to mess around with make-up remover. :oops:

I am really happy with my retinol and Simple moisturizer combo. It's actually quite amazing, I'm usually grey and quite frightening looking by Janurary. :cool:

:facepalm: now I've read your post properly and seen the word INTENSE on them.

:oops:

I reckon I'll try on the chilli and maraschino, maybe after the dentist later for that extra challenge :D
I'm dentisting today as well. Same one as you.

I only buy make-up which washes off so that I don't have to mess around with make-up remover. :oops:

I am really happy with my retinol and Simple moisturizer combo. It's actually quite amazing, I'm usually grey and quite frightening looking by Janurary. :cool:
Talk to me about retinol again...

When do you wash your face then? :confused:
I rinse my face before I go to bed but there isn't any effort made to remove my eye make-up.

I wash my face in the morning when I'm in the bath with the leaky shower attachment. If there's still some bloody mascara left, I'll use a wipe when I get out.

I am boning up on this thread after attempting a (woeful) selfie. Once I hit 50ish, I gave up on make-up and having had an unobservant sweetheart for 30 years, I have let my 'beauty' routine get a bit slack (this is someone who 'exfoliates' using the bath-scourer). Am going into the New Year with an attempt to at least make a bit of an effort to overcome the haggard crone look I have been rocking for the past decade (and a promise to get better fitting dentures which do not spend more time in my pocket than in my mouth)...or worse, stashed out of sight (often under the nearest cushion) to avoid giving offense...and then losing them.

Talk to me about retinol again...

Well retinol is available OTC here, for under a pound a tube, at a reasonable percentage of active ingredient. If you wanted a retinol containing product in the UK, I think you'd need Vichy or ROC or something. Retinol products don't tend to come cheap in England and they don't have much actual retinol in them as above a certain percentage it's a pharmaceutical product. It has anti-aging and anti-acne effects; what it does is speed up cell reproduction in your skin. It does dry your skin out or make it flake off a bit though, especially in fragile areas. I dunno if it would be a problem with your sensitive, allergic skin? On the other hand, it makes things heal really quickly. :eek: I mixed it with my moisturizer for the first few weeks, then used it neat every three days, then built up until I was using it every day to avoid massive skin irritation, but the skin around the corners of my mouth is still very flaky. :oops:

My step-mum buys it off ebay or amazon or something from Thailand.

Well retinol is available OTC here, for under a pound a tube, at a reasonable percentage of active ingredient. If you wanted a retinol containing product in the UK, I think you'd need Vichy or ROC or something. Retinol products don't tend to come cheap in England and they don't have much actual retinol in them as above a certain percentage it's a pharmaceutical product. It has anti-aging and anti-acne effects; what it does is speed up cell reproduction in your skin. It does dry your skin out or make it flake off a bit though, especially in fragile areas. I dunno if it would be a problem with your sensitive, allergic skin? On the other hand, it makes things heal really quickly. :eek: I mixed it with my moisturizer for the first few weeks, then used it neat every three days, then built up until I was using it every day to avoid massive skin irritation, but the skin around the corners of my mouth is still very flaky. :oops:

My step-mum buys it off ebay or amazon or something from Thailand.

You need to be really careful about sun protection if you're using retinol, especially if it's something you'd normally get on prescription here.

Sali Hughes from the Guardian said the absolute best thing you can do for your skin is cleanse it properly, especially if you wear makeup. She also advocates the hot cloth method.

*stern look at all the facial wipes people on this thread*
I'm in the facial wipe camp because I don't wear anywhere near as much makeup as Sali Hughes! For the powder-that-thinks-it's-foundation I use, mild soap and water is fine, and I use wipes for eye makeup, followed by a slathering of Olay all over my face. I'd have to put a special wash on for the 7+ white flannels a week that she advocates, as we don't do a white wash. :hmm:

You need to be really careful about sun protection if you're using retinol, especially if it's something you'd normally get on prescription here.

Yep! I agree. :) That's why I've started it in the winter. I don't see any sun because it's so cold here, we're all bundled up under hats and scarves and coats and I never even actually leave the flat anyway, tbh. :D

I'm in the facial wipe camp because I don't wear anywhere near as much makeup as Sali Hughes! For the powder-that-thinks-it's-foundation I use, mild soap and water is fine, and I use wipes for eye makeup, followed by a slathering of Olay all over my face. I'd have to put a special wash on for the 7+ white flannels a week that she advocates, as we don't do a white wash. :hmm:
I don't do a special white wash for the flannels, tbh. I just bung them in with whatever wash I'm doing. Doesn't really matter if they go a bit grey! I don't like soap on my face, and cleansing oil/balm gets rid of all my eye make-up as well. I found facial wipes were really harsh on my skin, and left it looking quite dull. I could get away with it when I was younger, but not now.

Ah that's two different ones, both up the brown end though...

246580.jpg

I don't know what colour the one you got me is but I can't see it there.
I think I can make out the word "honey" or similar on it the stick but the writing has worn off in my handbag.

I wouldn't mind maybe a slightly darker or brighter colour.
Will have to pop in to Morleys

I don't know what colour the one you got me is but I can't see it there.
I think I can make out the word "honey" or similar on it the stick but the writing has worn off in my handbag.

I wouldn't mind maybe a slightly darker or brighter colour.
Will have to pop in to Morleys
Meet for a pint and lippy shopping?

so another shout out for the lovely Clinique lady in Brixton Morleys - I went in today for a browse with toddler - toddler immediately starts trying to pull apart all the displays. Lovely Clinique lady actually gave toddler her own personal unused lipstick! So kind. Obviously I swapped it with her outside for some lip balm... :D I hope those ladies work on commission because when I get some money I'd go back and buy from her for sure.

Back
Top Bottom