Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beauty products that actually work

I bought some Clinique CC cream. I was buying my usual 3 step bits, there was an offer on, I'm easily persuaded - I had been thinking about a CC cream anyway. It's good, I think. Does what it's supposed to. I don't like how much it hides my freckles though :hmm:

I've been using my urban decay eye-shadow transforming potion loads recently. It's a wet brush (one end fat the other thin) for making any eyeshadow a liquid liner. It's brilliant. But it's been discontinued. Waaaaaah. Maybe wet eye shadow on top of primer would be as good....

Superdrug natural radiant brightening eye cream. Desperate purchase yesterday to get me through an evening at work without looking like I'd been punched in both eyes, so tired was I, it seems to have made a significant impact on my eye bags already. It does feel a bit oily and gross around my eyes but it really seems to have worked.

Right, hive mind, I need your help.

Medium Brown mascara that thickens (not lengthens) and doesn't flake or smudge. I have deepset eyes, and long eyelashes so lots leave me with smears under my eyebrows, or go all flakey after a day in an air conditioned office. Maybelline doesn't work for me, neither does mac, or bobbi brown.

The one I love has been discontinued :mad:. Not fussed about price.

I don't know about medium brown, as I like my lashes black, but I am fiercely loyal to Yves Saint Laurent. Might be too lengthening for you though, I dunno? They have a 'volume effect' as well as the regular 'faux cils' version.

I accidentally bought a cheap brown mascara a while back that I quite like. I'll have a look in a bit. Can't remember if it's lengthening though.

I have deepset eyes and stumpy lashes. The only mascara I've EVER found that doesn't go panda (and I've tried loads) is Estee Lauder DoubleWear. Seriously, it has transformed my life. Well, as much as a mascara can :oops:

Right, hive mind, I need your help.

Medium Brown mascara that thickens (not lengthens) and doesn't flake or smudge. I have deepset eyes, and long eyelashes so lots leave me with smears under my eyebrows, or go all flakey after a day in an air conditioned office. Maybelline doesn't work for me, neither does mac, or bobbi brown.

The one I love has been discontinued :mad:. Not fussed about price.

it only comes in black, but i love maxfactor masterpiece waterproof mascara for not smudging. ever.

I have deepset eyes and stumpy lashes. The only mascara I've EVER found that doesn't go panda (and I've tried loads) is Estee Lauder DoubleWear. Seriously, it has transformed my life. Well, as much as a mascara can :oops:

Have bought this on your previous recommendation and it seems great so far (better volume and far less clumping than other long-lasting mascaras) so thanks for that!

Don't use if you have rosacea!! :)
ugh - i didn't have rosacea (though both my sisters do so it was prob in the post), and then my sister HI-LAR-I-OUSLY bought me some lancome microdermabrasion stuff for my 40th. i used it for a while, not twigging that coincidentally i was getting red blemishes on my right cheekbone. fwd a few months and by the time i realised, i have a permanent patch of rosacea. Nothing i can do works, and from my skeptical googling, it looks like there's no non-surgical cure. it;s an utter fucker.

ugh - i didn't have rosacea (though both my sisters do so it was prob in the post), and then my sister HI-LAR-I-OUSLY bought me some lancome microdermabrasion stuff for my 40th. i used it for a while, not twigging that coincidentally i was getting red blemishes on my right cheekbone. fwd a few months and by the time i realised, i have a permanent patch of rosacea. Nothing i can do works, and from my skeptical googling, it looks like there's no non-surgical cure. it;s an utter fucker.
Chemical peel *might*

I went for microdermabrasion at a SK!n clinic years ago but they said as I had mild rosacea chemical peel was better. Left my skin smoother for a couple of days but nothing too severe. Quite fancy fraxel but I don't have a spare few k OR time to take two weeks off work and stay indoors :D

Last edited:
Chemical peel *might*

I went for microdermabrasion at a SK!n clinic years ago but they said as I had mild rosacea chemical peel was better. Left my skin smoother for a couple of days but nothing too severe. Quite fancy fraxel but I don't have a spare few k OR time to take two weeks off work and stay indoors :D
Yeah - "might" isn't good enough, for what it costs. :(

I bought some Clinique CC cream. I was buying my usual 3 step bits, there was an offer on, I'm easily persuaded - I had been thinking about a CC cream anyway. It's good, I think. Does what it's supposed to. I don't like how much it hides my freckles though :hmm:

only just seen this.. why would you want to hide your freckles. They're the best thing ever!

I thought it was linked with stress and can go away naturally?

I have discovered a really good new mascara - MAC Gigablack Lash Extender. Ridiculous name, but gives excellent length with no clumping or flaking. :thumbs:

I have also been getting into skincare in a major way and I think it is working. My skin is getting some of its glow back. It's expensive, but I really like Emma Hardie's Moringa Cleansing Balm and Ole Henrikksen Collagen-Boosting Serum. On the cheaper side, Uma Brennan's Vitamin C Cleansing Oil is great, as is the Rose Cleanser.

Having used the same mascara for 10 years (blimey :eek::oops:) I've just bought a new one. Two new ones in fact. Okay, so it's the same brand (YSL) and the same product (faux cils) only the waterproof version because I was getting panda really badly. Greasier skin maybe? :hmm:

Anyway, I bought brown and black because it was cheap in JLs. Brown for day, black for out. The brown is lovely, makes my eyes bluer :cool: Obviously I hate the change though - the brush is different, it doesn't go on as well or lengthen as nicely and IT'S NOT THE SAAAAME *wah* but it does stay put and hold its shape better, iykwim. I'm sure I'll grow to love it. It does get uncomfortable by the end of the day, which is probably a good thing because I'm a terrible one for not taking my slap off before bed.

What do people know about Avene (not Aveeno, which I already like) products?

It's being touted as great for people with sensitive skin, rosacea, eczema, all manner of awkward problems.

I'm always massively wary of marketing. However, I've just seen pictures of some girl with horrendous eczema who used one of their water spray things and it calmed it in minutes. Which, well, yeah, pictures, pixels, etc., but still, since my face is always ultra sensitive I thought it was worth looking into. It doesn't seem to be any more expensive than comparable stuff at Boots.

What do people know about Avene (not Aveeno, which I already like) products?

It's being touted as great for people with sensitive skin, rosacea, eczema, all manner of awkward problems.

I'm always massively wary of marketing. However, I've just seen pictures of some girl with horrendous eczema who used one of their water spray things and it calmed it in minutes. Which, well, yeah, pictures, pixels, etc., but still, since my face is always ultra sensitive I thought it was worth looking into. It doesn't seem to be any more expensive than comparable stuff at Boots.

If you don't have any 'named' condition, just hyperreactive skin, I can recommend Elemis Melting Gel cleanser or the MAC Tranquil cleanse-off oil. Every time I use anything else I get very red skin and am prone to spots but using either of these seems to take it down and leave it lovely. The effects seem to last as well, so that it stays calm all day and night now.

I did flirt with Avene products a goodly few years ago (before I discovered the above) but wasn't impressed, was still very red and the products didn't seem to do that much, but then maybe that's just me.

I generally just use water and a washcloth, or sometimes almond oil or grapeseed oil and then water and a washcloth, and sometimes Lush's Ultrabland and then water and a washcloth.

Then I use Lush's Eu Roma Water toner - it's basically just rose water. I use that to hydrate my skin during winter when the central heating is on as well. It's very refreshing. And to cool down in summer.

For moisturiser I use Aveeno. A very kind urb sent me some of the face cream to try, and I also sometimes use the perfume-free sensitive body cream (on my face, but it seems to have almost the same effect as the face cream, comes in bigger bottles).

I also sometimes use Decleor Rose D'Orient oil under the moisturiser.

I never really get rid of the redness. I've never had a consultation or seen a doctor about it, but I'm reasonably certain it's some sort of rosacea. I get red and blotchy, heat and friction makes it worse. I have huge pores, I get very greasy, but I also get flakey dry (in the same places - I'm really not normal :p). My cheeks have always gone very blotchy red, even when I was very young. It's got worse as I've got older, and never goes away completely. It comes up in red spots - which aren't really proper spots but more like reactive spots - when it's feeling particularly aggrieved. Not many of them, but it's annoying nonetheless.

I generally just let it be. I've learned to not use too much, or to swap things out trying things all the time. That said, if I hear of something that is supposed to be gentle and mild and good for that sort of thing, I'm always tempted to give it a go.

Purple emu Ltd redness and blemish control cream is the only thing that's worked for me. I used to have it really bad and nothing worked, finding the PEL cream was a revelation my skins clear now and only flares up when I forget to use it for a few days. The fact it's made of squashed up emus may put you off though

Back
Top Bottom