Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beauty products that actually work

I used to use retin-a cream for acne, is it meant to be good as an anti ager then?

Yeah, it's the ingredient in a lot of anti-aging creams (Vichy, Roc etc). Tbh I find the winters here make my skin really suffer and prone to breaking out; I think it's the combo of seriously freezing outside/very dry/central heating/big temperature changes/no sunlight which fucks with me. So I thought some retinol would be good on both fronts.

I also bought some Simple Oil Balancing moisturizer from Boots while I was in England. It's really lovely.

I'm a bit lost in this thread tbh, but I still quite like clinique's chubby sticks.

I love their eye-shadow chubby sticks. They are like makeup for people who aren't very precise. :cool:

Oh, I have a question about hairspray. Is cheap hairspray (like no brand stuff) going to be worse than branded hairspray (like Loreal or something?). I've found that a light mist of it on my hair stops it getting static, but a little bit clumpy/crispy. Also I think it makes my eyes sting. So is hairspray a false economy, or would I be better not buying 30p stuff from the market?

Did it work for you?

Well I wasn't using it for rosacea. I used it years ago for a sort of spot that was under the skin for years that refused to come out. It wasn't a spot, but i'm not sure what it was. It dried it all out and it disappeared eventually.

Suggested it to my friend who's son had acne and it helped clear it up but he stopped using it as they found some better skincare regime in the US.

I do like Purple Emu's moisturiser though, but I just can't afford to buy their products nowadays (or rather, I'm trying other stuff)

Well I wasn't using it for rosacea. I used it years ago for a sort of spot that was under the skin for years that refused to come out. It wasn't a spot, but i'm not sure what it was. It dried it all out and it disappeared eventually.

Suggested it to my friend who's son had acne and it helped clear it up but he stopped using it as they found some better skincare regime in the US.

I do like Purple Emu's moisturiser though, but I just can't afford to buy their products nowadays (or rather, I'm trying other stuff)

Cool, the golden magic stuff? I've been tempted by it but it's v spendy

Cool, the golden magic stuff? I've been tempted by it but it's v spendy

No, just their daily cream with SPF15. I did buy the Golden Magic years ago when I was working and could afford, and it had a lovely smell. Unfortunately, there's only a tiny bit left in the bottle and it's gone rancid and smells now. Shame, as I loved the stuff. NOT cheap at all though :(

Fucking hell I had my top lip threaded today :eek: :eek: :( :(It was over very quickly but so much more painful than eyebrows!!

I've used Advanced Night Repair and it's alright but I prefer Ole Henrikksen's serum, which is also spendy. I am also using a retinol product called Retinol Re-facer I think and it does work. I have had a sun spot thing on my face for years and it's nearly gone now. Ditto the little under the skin spots near my chin but that might be the double cleansing and acid toning. Also my skin is incredibly smooth ATM and more "glowy". Bloody should be given the money I'm spending!

I've been trying out new foundations. Still testing but the winner so far is Chanel's Aqua Vitalumiere. Am also liking Clarins True Radiance.

I bought Armani liquid silk foundation when I was having an old/grey/tired moment and it is amazing. Am a complete convert. Feels gorgeous (like, er, silk) and doesn't look at all dry or mask-y

Also, mascara- I forgot my makeup after a very early start to Bristol, and my boots no7 extreme length distress purchase is surprisingly good.

I like benefit erase paste concealer, it does pretty well on this insomniac's dark eyes. Boing was also very good but I find erase paste easier to apply.

There was a big ad for snail gel in one of the Sunday supplements last week. It sounds effective, and I'm quite tempted, but it's just the idea of it being, er, snail gel. :eek::D
If you prefer something with less of a yuck factor, get some aloe vera gel, but make sure it doesn't contain alcohol or any perfume - the cheaper brands do and they'll sting like crazy on already irritated skin.

Yeah, I have my Touch Eclat, but I wondered if anyone had any recommendations for anything that lifts or tightens, even temporarily. Clarins do something called Super Restorative Total Eye Complex ( or something similar) which is supposed to be the dogs wotsits, but at £52 I'd like someone with personal experience to tell me if it's worth it

What I really need is cosmetic surgery or a magic wand.......

I've been reading that sweet almond oil is pretty good so might try that next as I also have terrible dark circles.

I don't know about preventative lotions and potions, but for disguising purposes touche eclat (ysl) is magic!
It's more of a highlighter than a concealer, I think. Didn't work for me but very little does!

Yeah. Touche eclat isn't thick enough for me. I've reverted to an ancient rimmel concealer stick but the texture is a bit claggy - I'm also adjusting to it collecting in little lines, need to sort out primer or something.

Oh, I have a question about hairspray. Is cheap hairspray (like no brand stuff) going to be worse than branded hairspray (like Loreal or something?). I've found that a light mist of it on my hair stops it getting static, but a little bit clumpy/crispy. Also I think it makes my eyes sting. So is hairspray a false economy, or would I be better not buying 30p stuff from the market?
Elnett is good and doesn't clump at all. I very rarely use it, I got it to do something to my bike but I do spray some on my hair every now and then when I want that glamourous "Joan Collins grandma" smell about me.

Edited - It's not Elnett I have, it's Wella Silverkrin. It's good stuff.

Yeah, I have my Touch Eclat, but I wondered if anyone had any recommendations for anything that lifts or tightens, even temporarily. Clarins do something called Super Restorative Total Eye Complex ( or something similar) which is supposed to be the dogs wotsits, but at £52 I'd like someone with personal experience to tell me if it's worth it

What I really need is cosmetic surgery or a magic wand.......
Haemorrhoid cream. Apparently it really does shrink the skin ! According to a beauty therapist.

and I just had to look up how to spell pile.

I got some of the Time Delay serum from Boots last week and it's belting! Really lifts and makes me glowy.

I also got a couple of samples from Boots that I tried at the weekend, both No 7 products. One is the Pore Vacuum mask - erm, fucking OWWW!!! It left my skin looking fucking amazing, but by the christ it bloody hurt when I pulled it off! Took all my face hairs with it!!

The other sample was the Pore Minimising Serum, and yep - that works really well too! My skin felt really different in the morning - very noticeable. I've had massive pores for years now but have decided that this year is the year I start looking after my skin properly. So no more babywipes/dragging my skin with shit. Proper cleansing and toning, regular facial scrubs, pore minimiser, the 'beauty' serum, and a matching moisturiser.

Have to say, there's already been a massive improvement to my skin. Well chuffed :cool:

The No7 microdermabrasion scrub is good too. It's 11 quid but I always wait for a voucher and get a fiver off which doesn't feel as extravagant. I used that along with the Clinique 3 step.

I've always pooh poohed expensive skin stuff but this does actually work. Well, and I think I've reached an age where my skin's deteriorated to such an extent that it now shows positive effects when it's applied!

Well, I've got two vouchers for a fiver off. I'm gonna splash out on the Youthful Eye serum as my stoner bags are immense these days, plus I'm getting slight sagging on the top bit of my eyes which I've never had before. And when I next get paid, I'll buy the Pore Minimiser serum cos it's well good! I've already got a full tube of normal face scrub so I'll use that first but ta for the rec :)

Boots number 7 is really good for the price IMO. Better than some really expensive brands
I love no 7 make up!! Am not overly keen on their skin stuff as it brings me out but maybe it's just too rich for my skin, however feeling like the need a serum so dunno where to go... :(

Back
Top Bottom