Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beauty products that actually work

Ok, I need to join this thread. I realised in an idle moment that none of my make up is under three years old. Last bought new stuff for an urbs wedding three years ago :oops: and have hardly worn any, if any at all, in the last year.

I rarely wear it, given I rarely go out and never bother for work, but I'm nearly 40 and I know I feel better for the rare times I do go out when I have some on.

I'm particularly looking for mascara recommendations (don't want extra long, or thick, just want a nice brown one that just coats the lashes I have), and some lip gloss stuff as I don't suit lipstick but like something.

So can anyone suggest anything?

Purple emu Ltd redness and blemish control cream is the only thing that's worked for me. I used to have it really bad and nothing worked, finding the PEL cream was a revelation my skins clear now and only flares up when I forget to use it for a few days. The fact it's made of squashed up emus may put you off though
do you know of any uk stockists?

Purple emu Ltd redness and blemish control cream is the only thing that's worked for me. I used to have it really bad and nothing worked, finding the PEL cream was a revelation my skins clear now and only flares up when I forget to use it for a few days. The fact it's made of squashed up emus may put you off though
yes BUT when did you last see a red-lookin' emu ?

Ok, I need to join this thread. I realised in an idle moment that none of my make up is under three years old. Last bought new stuff for an urbs wedding three years ago :oops: and have hardly worn any, if any at all, in the last year.

I rarely wear it, given I rarely go out and never bother for work, but I'm nearly 40 and I know I feel better for the rare times I do go out when I have some on.

I'm particularly looking for mascara recommendations (don't want extra long, or thick, just want a nice brown one that just coats the lashes I have), and some lip gloss stuff as I don't suit lipstick but like something.

L'Oreal universal lip glow's good for a non-lipsticky lipstick. It's meant to react to the colour of your lips - it just enhances their natural colour a bit

cowshed anti aging night serum, smells lush, cannot really comment on the anti- aging affect but skin is defo a lot more hydrated which must help stop the wrinklies?

Yeah - "might" isn't good enough, for what it costs. :(

Yup..

I recall using a very famous hypoallergenic make up / skincare product once a few years ago. It caused a pretty bad rash on my cheeks which welted up and then became dry and flaky and eventually caused the upper layer of skin to peel revealing lovely new skin. It cured the little bit of rosacea I'd had...but put me off that particular brand of makeup/skincare products forever......

One of the best products I've used recently is dr organics snail gel. My sister gave me a jar of it and I've found that It is brilliant. A tiny bit goes a long way. It's cool and feels great.

"The unique healing and powers of the snail’s slime, which is harvested without causing any harm, was discovered by chance by snail farmers in Chile who noticed their hands were incredibly soft and hydrated and minor cuts and scars were healing unusually quickly."

http://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=5150

One jar has lasted six months so far...and will see me through to 2015.

Turns out waterproof mascara stays on :facepalm: pita to take off though.

Oh and I'm a new convert to brown mascara for day.

I am experimenting with retinol at the moment. Since it's scientifically actually meant to work I'm quite excited. Kind of wish I'd only been putting it on one side of my face so that I could compare. :oops: I found you could buy retin-a over the counter here for about 50p, so I'm mixing a pea sized amount in with my moisturizer every three days. I haven't had any bad reaction so will move over to every other day now. Otoh, I don't look any younger yet. :hmm:

I have the same requirements as aqua
As I've mentioned elsewhere on this thread, Estee Lauder Doublewear mascara is very non-smudgy and doesn't do anything massively fancy - just makes your lashes darker and eversoslightly longer. It's £20 but Debenhams had 15% off all their beauty stuff the other day (not sure if they still do)

I am experimenting with retinol at the moment. Since it's scientifically actually meant to work I'm quite excited. Kind of wish I'd only been putting it on one side of my face so that I could compare. :oops: I found you could buy retin-a over the counter here for about 50p, so I'm mixing a pea sized amount in with my moisturizer every three days. I haven't had any bad reaction so will move over to every other day now. Otoh, I don't look any younger yet. :hmm:

I used to use retin-a cream for acne, is it meant to be good as an anti ager then?

I'm a bit lost in this thread tbh, but I still quite like clinique's chubby sticks.

As I've mentioned elsewhere on this thread, Estee Lauder Doublewear mascara is very non-smudgy and doesn't do anything massively fancy - just makes your lashes darker and eversoslightly longer. It's £20 but Debenhams had 15% off all their beauty stuff the other day (not sure if they still do)

I bought this on the back of trashpony's recommendation and it's the best mascara I've ever used.

It has the staying power of other non-budgeable mascaras and better volume.

I bought this on the back of trashpony's recommendation and it's the best mascara I've ever used.

It has the staying power of other non-budgeable mascaras and better volume.
So glad you like it! It was recommended to me by a friend when we were swimming and my waterproof mascara was not coping well with all the chemicals in the water. I don't know what it's made of but it means I don't get panda eyes any more

I don't know what it's made of

Zebrite? :D It does leave black flakes everywhere when you remove it, but so do most long-stay mascaras. It's lovely to use and has made me think I'll buy more Estee Lauder stuff - it's really great quality.

Zebrite? :D It does leave black flakes everywhere when you remove it, but so do most long-stay mascaras. It's lovely to use and has made me think I'll buy more Estee Lauder stuff - it's really great quality.
Advanced Night Repair is fab but it's v spendy

Advanced Night Repair is fab but it's v spendy

I keep considering that - agree it's expensive as fuck! Do you mind telling us what way it's fab - I don't mind splashing out if it's really good. I've tried Clinique serum and the much-lauded Boots one - the former maybe makes a slight difference, not sure about the latter.

So glad you like it! It was recommended to me by a friend when we were swimming and my waterproof mascara was not coping well with all the chemicals in the water. I don't know what it's made of but it means I don't get panda eyes any more
when you remove it, does it dilute to grey?

That might seem like a stupid question, but there's a very small number of mascaras (and even fewer liquid liners) that come off like gloss paint strands... those are the ones i like (blinc / fiberwig). With all other mascaras i end up with a grey residue building up below my bottom lashes. I think i must be uniquely shite at removing normal mascara.

I keep considering that - agree it's expensive as fuck! Do you mind telling us what way it's fab - I don't mind splashing out if it's really good. I've tried Clinique serum and the much-lauded Boots one - the former maybe makes a slight difference, not sure about the latter.
I've run out but it's really good at evening out blotchy skin, moisturising dry flaky patches and smoothing lines. I'm not very good on the whole at remembering to do this sort of stuff but I did think my skin looked better when I remembered to do it religiously.

spanglechick - no, it just flakes off. It stays on pretty well overnight and doesn't come off on my pillow either :oops:

I've run out but it's really good at evening out blotchy skin, moisturising dry flaky patches and smoothing lines. I'm not very good on the whole at remembering to do this sort of stuff but I did think my skin looked better when I remembered to do it religiously.

spanglechick - no, it just flakes off. It stays on pretty well overnight and doesn't come off on my pillow either :oops:
ooh, righty then. :cool:

when you remove it, does it dilute to grey?

That might seem like a stupid question, but there's a very small number of mascaras (and even fewer liquid liners) that come off like gloss paint strands... those are the ones i like (blinc / fiberwig). With all other mascaras i end up with a grey residue building up below my bottom lashes. I think i must be uniquely shite at removing normal mascara.

I'd say it comes off like gloss paint strands. I've looked into blinc a little and would say it has a similar effect. Coats lashes with little tubes of colour/thickness.

Back
Top Bottom