Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beauty products that actually work

Thanks for the mascara recommendations spanglechick & trashpony - those both definitely sound worth a try.

I've been using Clinique Lash Power and Boots No 7 Stay Perfect which are good on staying power but give no volume.

Ahh! That explains it. At least you had actually posted on the thread in relation to mascara :oops: :D

Yes, I had high hopes for that one until I read what Mation said!

I have just been looking up neem cream but was somewhat put off it when someone said it had worked wonders on their pony's itchy tail. :eek:

For Equationgirl....

Just because it's on this page...I've taken the time to research the ingredients in Benefits' they're real mascara....

Here they are
INGREDIENTS:
WATER (AQUA), PARAFFIN, POLYBUTENE, STYRENE/ACRYLATES/AMMONIUM METHACRYLATE COPOLYMER, BEESWAX (CERA ALBA), BIS-DIGLYCERYL POLYACYLADIPATE-2, C18-36 ACID TRIGLYCERIDE, PALMITIC ACID, STEARIC ACID, TRIETHANOLAMINE, VP/EICOSENE COPOLYMER, ACACIA SENEGAL GUM, HYDROXYETHYLCELLULOSE, PHENOXYETHANOL, TETRASODIUM EDTA, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, CAPRYLYL GLYCOL, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, SODIUM LAURETH-12 SULFATE, GLYCERIN, POTASSIUM SORBATE, SERICIN, CALCIUM CHLORIDE, SODIUM HYALURONATE, TILIA TOMENTOSA BUD EXTRACT, CITRIC ACID, BHT, SORBIC ACID. [+/-: IRON OXIDES (CI 77491, CI
SODIUM LAURETH-12 SULFATE, GLYCERIN, POTASSIUM SORBATE, SERICIN, CALCIUM CHLORIDE, SODIUM HYALURONATE, TILIA TOMENTOSA BUD EXTRACT, CITRIC ACID, BHT, SORBIC ACID. [+/-: IRON OXIDES (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), ULTRAMARINES (CI 77007), CHROMIUM OXIDE GREENS (CI 77288), CHROMIUM HYDROXIDE GREEN (CI 77289), TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891)].

Got the low down on the safety of these?
I can tell you that at there are some dubious chemicals there.....

Chromium oxide...highly dangerous when breathed in
...iron oxide. ..another not so healthy chemical...and
Polybutene (an airplane adhesive)

No doubt the makeup industry will tell you that the rabbits' eyes only watered slightly and the rats didnt die within the specified four months, but remember this, they have a vested interest in their products. You may think they care about safety but if they really did they would remove certain common ingredients currently still being used in many makeup and skin products. These include parabens, phthalates , propylene glycol, mineral oil, triclosan and others.

So perhaps we should examine all makeup advice given by all posters

If you'd read my previous post you would see that it provides a link to all the WebMD information on neem. The page includes links to side effects..indeed it's the very page you copied and pasted.
I have a very serious medical condition which is why I have moved away from makeup that contains parabens etc. I've been using Argan oil for years and neem (very sparingly ) for a few months. I think you have overreacted a bit...not surprisingly I suppose.
I sometimes have to take a panadol....have you read the side effects of panadol?

If you'd read my posts you'd see that I spoke about MY experiences using neem. I'm not advocating it for anyone else. I also DID include a web link to the medical web site WebMD which gives ALL information about medical uses and side egfects of neem.
It's up to individuals to research and talk to their doctor etc about anything they think is potwntially dangerous.
I'm not pushing neem on anyone...
By the way have you read all the ingredients in your makeup?
Might be worth a bit of research too.
I don't wear makeup as I get eczema on my eyelids and my skin is very sensitive.

I occasionally wear lipgloss, the clinque ones are good and I got a Molton Brown ages ago which was amazing but I lost it :mad: I had a second one but I was putting it on one day when someone asked if they could try it. I thought they would squeeze a little bit on their finger but they used it like a lipstick and I ended up binning it because I was afraid of getting a cold sore.

I don't wear makeup as I get eczema on my eyelids and my skin is very sensitive.

I occasionally wear lipgloss, the clinque ones are good and I got a Molton Brown ages ago which was amazing but I lost it :mad: I had a second one but I was putting it on one day when someone asked if they could try it. I thought they would squeeze a little bit on their finger but they used it like a lipstick and I ended up binning it because I was afraid of getting a cold sore.

I wish molton brown had continued with their range but they got out of makeup :(
I empathise with your ecsema pain.

By the way I had a dreadful reaction to clinique lip gloss the one and only time I tried it. My lips swelled up like balloons. Unfortunately some gloss rubbed off onto my fingers as I prodded my bulging lips and it went on my face which then started to swell up.
Long story short...it took two weeks to get back to normal. On the plus side after my skin flaked off I had lovely brand new fresh skin. I looked like I'd had a chemical peel :)
I reported my allergic reaction to Clinique btw...

I wish molton brown had continued with their range but they got out of makeup :(

By the way I had a dreadful reaction to clinique lip gloss the one and only time I tried it. My lips swelled up like balloons. Unfortunately some gloss rubbed off onto my fingers as I prodded my bulging lips and it went on my face which then started to swell up.
Long story short...it took two weeks to get back to normal. On the plus side after my skin flaked off I had lovely brand new fresh skin. I looked like I'd had a chemical peel :)
I can't use their soap, toner or moisturiser - I tried a sample once and my skin felt like it was on fire.

I can't use their soap, toner or moisturiser - I tried a sample once and my skin felt like it was on fire.

I have found l'occitane are ok ... I've not had any reaction yet to their shampoos and shower gels.
But for the face I have to say Argan oil is flippin amazing. It calms my skin down when it's sore, itchy and dry. Its also a great cleanser believe it or not. I cant recommend any makeup as I've tried all the supposedly hypoallergenic stuff on offer. I thought I'd hit the jackpot with bare minerals but after a while I started to have problems.

Has anyone else tried Stay Flawless, the Benefit primer?

I've read mixed reviews and had a sample to try.

It's awful. You're meant to put it on then apply foundation and blend together.

My face has been cloggy and patchy all day, it's so hard to blend.

Some reviews said it was amazing though.

I know someone violently allergic to all Molton Brown products. Not sure what on earth it can be, but she comes out in hives

does men's hair product count as a beauty product..?

if so I recommend this stuff:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MESS-HEAD-HAIR-THERAPY-STYLING-GEL-WAX-150ml-NEW-MESSHEAD-/191028814263

goes on like a wax, dried like a gel so no grease. I've just ordered another 2 tubs off ebay, the previous tub lasted me about a year!

You need very little of it, so need to be plastering your hair in a load of gunk. It does short and neat well, but also those longer, messier styles. I've quite a lot of really thick hair and it took me ages to find something that'd get it to stay up while not having to SLATHER my hair in stuff. For those even longer, stickier up hairstyles simply add some hairspray. I've came outta raves at 8am with my do sitting perfect with this stuff and a wee spritz of shockwaves ultrahold

As a middle aged man I still used to occasionally get spots which I should have grown out of years ago. I started taking a Vitamin A supplement (50% RDA) which is good for the skin and has made a huge difference. For anyone with spots I can heartily recommend it.

I've been double cleansing using Uma Brennan products from Boots in an effort to get my skin glowing again. I use an oil cleanser first with Vitamin C, followed by a Rose creamy cleanser. I remove both with a flannel and warm water. My skin is definitely seeing the benefits, and the slight congestion on my chin is clearing.

I am utterly fed up of my hair that spends most of its life as a massive frizz bucket, so after lots of youtube watching I'm trying out a whole host of new products. Washed my hair with Organic Surge moisture boost shampoo and Organic Surge shine boost conditioner. Applied liberal amounts of of Trevor Sorbie frizz free spray, scrunched in Umburto Gianni curl mousse and Lee Stafford silicone free argon oil shine spray. The trick appears to be to apply product to soaking wet hair, barely touch with a towel and leave to air dry. I have soaking shoulders now though. :D

Also bought Soap and Glory flake away scrub today, it's gorgeous, smells so lovely.

New Toni and Guy product called Shine Gloss Serum. Best serum I have ever used.

Also got something called Sanex Zero % today, it has no parabens etc etc. I will report back.

Last edited:
straight from the folder marked: really unhelpful recommendations. I have been using a new eye cream when i remember (on average every other day) and am quite impressed by the anti-aging effects. It's called "green and [something]" or "[something] and green" and it comes in a heavy bottle that doesn't pump properly, but it's bloody good stuff. Ocado stock it.

straight from the folder marked: really unhelpful recommendations. I have been using a new eye cream when i remember (on average every other day) and am quite impressed by the anti-aging effects. It's called "green and [something]" or "[something] and green" and it comes in a heavy bottle that doesn't pump properly, but it's bloody good stuff. Ocado stock it.
Green people age defy +?

I tell you what else is lovely, Crabtree and Evelyn Gardener's Therapy hand cream. Really lovely smell, sinks in to the skin really quickly without feeling too greasy. I hate hand creams usually so this is a proper winner.

"Green and spring" refreshing eye cream.

i should point out that i'm not a big moisturiser user to start with, merely a dabbler... but this is quite impressive in terms of visible effect.

"Green and spring" refreshing eye cream.

i should point out that i'm not a big moisturiser user to start with, merely a dabbler... but this is quite impressive in terms of visible effect.
Ooh, I have some green and spring hand cream, didn't know ocado stocked it.

I use keihl's eye cream. It's the only one that doesn't make my eye bags worse, being a sensitive blonde flower :)

Back
Top Bottom