Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beauty products that actually work

Top tip, folks: If you've forgotten your eye make-up brush at home and can't be arsed to go to the local shop for cotton buds, use a tampon instead! It works really well. Possibly better than the brush :oops:

(I'm not one of those women who do their make-up on the tube, I should add :D)

Top tip, folks: If you've forgotten your eye make-up brush at home and can't be arsed to go to the local shop for cotton buds, use a tampon instead! It works really well. Possibly better than the brush :oops:

<<snort>>

oh dear

What's wrong with using your fingers in those circumstances?

What's wrong with using your fingers in those circumstances?
I've got long fingernails that would gouge into my eyeshadow/get in the way of putting shadow on the corner of my eyelid nearest my nose. I have tried it with fingers before, but just find it easier with some sort of applicator.

Plus it wouldn't have amused me as much :)

Mmm, I suppose us post menopause oldies will have to use tena-ladies :eek: :D

Can I just drop back in and make a major vote for Akamuti oil. I have been using it about once a fortnight, pretty sure it's really helping my skin. Gonna get my mum some for her birthday, although she's got great skin already from using Astral all her life.

I'm also a big fan of Simple products, not sure if I have mentioned it before. I prefer organic etc but Simple are cheap and effective, and I've not got round to sourcing an organic, paraben free etc face wash and daily moisturiser yet.

I've been using La Roche Posay stuff recently and like it a lot. Also I bought a new hairbrush - really wanted a Mason Pearson but they are super-expensive so bought the Denman version. It's nylon and boar bristle and really makes a difference to how smooth and shiny your hair is. Distributes the oil from your scalp better or something, so you don't end up with dry ends.

I use a Denman too (for the same reason :D ), they are very good.

Going to get my hair cut tomorrow...thinking I might get it all cut off. It's a right state and the grown-out undercut side makes it all look wonky.

This is probably really obvious, but after spending all winter with hair so possessed by static that it crackled; I've bought a wooden comb and got rid of the plastic one. No more static hair. :cool: I might as well have been rubbing my head with a balloon all winter. :facepalm:

I found a mascara that a) doesn't clump and b) actually makes my miniscule eyelashes look really long and full!!

Rimmel Glam Eyes Day 2 Night. Fuck.ing.brilliant. I use the day one first and then the night one. Can't recommend it enough. Nearly 30 years I've been looking for a decent mascara. :cool:

I found a mascara that a) doesn't clump and b) actually makes my miniscule eyelashes look really long and full!!

Rimmel Glam Eyes Day 2 Night. Fuck.ing.brilliant. I use the day one first and then the night one. Can't recommend it enough. Nearly 30 years I've been looking for a decent mascara. :cool:
Oh good stuff - I've got titchy eyelashes, so this sounds great. :)

Wet brush. Cost £15 but the whole family uses ours! It's great for brushing conditioner right to the ends of your hair when in the shower. Doesn't get stuck and snap hair when it's weak as the bristles are very bendy. Even works for waist length hair.

Oh good stuff - I've got titchy eyelashes, so this sounds great. :)
Coises. I got some and it does indeed do a much much better job than any other mascara I've used. But sadly it doesn't seem to work well if I'm wearing contact lenses. I've spent the day with my lenses repeatedly clouding over a bit or a lot then a bit again. It's very annoying and a little sore. Poo. :(

Coises. I got some and it does indeed do a much much better job than any other mascara I've used. But sadly it doesn't seem to work well if I'm wearing contact lenses. I've spent the day with my lenses repeatedly clouding over a bit or a lot then a bit again. It's very annoying and a little sore. Poo. :(
Oh bugger :(

I bought the L'Oreal Miss Manga mascara and it's the best I've tried for my stumpy fair lashes. I wear gas permeables and it doesn't irritate my eyes at all. Might be worth a try?

I bought the L'Oreal Miss Manga mascara and it's the best I've tried for my stumpy fair lashes. I wear gas permeables and it doesn't irritate my eyes at all. Might be worth a try?
Cheers - I'll give it a go :)

Argan oil. Bought some in Amsterdam. At first I didn't like it and gave up on it as it was making my hair (which is thin, oily at the roots and dry and tangled in the middle and at the ends) even greasier than usual. Then I changed my method. I put it on at night, liberally, through the lengths of my hair. In the morning I shower as normal, making sure I use plenty of shampoo. The condition of my hair seems to be improving, which is a wonderful thing, as I had been considering getting it cut off into a bob. Hurray for argan oil!

I bought some too but I threw it away. Don't you find it makes your pillow messy if you use it at night?

I love argan oil. Went to the hairdressers yesterday for the first time in 6 months and she complimented me on the condition of my hair. I normally wash it in the same shower gel as my body, use whatever conditioner is cheapest and then comb through a little argan oil before blow drying it - my hair is long and highlighted but shiny and silky. God bless argan oil:cool: - it's worth every penny.

For the first time in years i tried a new mascara. i usually use blinc, because i'm prone to getting a grey build-up on my lower lid that makes me look ill, and since blinc doesn't dissolve, it doesn't cause the same problem... but even with blinc's newer formulaion, it's not a very dramatic effect - so for parteis etc \i have bought They're Real by benefit. It's great!

I was very skeptical about it because benefit's Bad Gal is the worst mascara ever for smudging... but i had birchbox points to spend, so i only had a very limited choice. anyway, dead pleased with it. Very dramatic effect with one coat - and I can see that with two, it would indeed look like false lashes.

For the first time in years i tried a new mascara. i usually use blinc, because i'm prone to getting a grey build-up on my lower lid that makes me look ill, and since blinc doesn't dissolve, it doesn't cause the same problem... but even with blinc's newer formulaion, it's not a very dramatic effect - so for parteis etc \i have bought They're Real by benefit. It's great!

I was very skeptical about it because benefit's Bad Gal is the worst mascara ever for smudging... but i had birchbox points to spend, so i only had a very limited choice. anyway, dead pleased with it. Very dramatic effect with one coat - and I can see that with two, it would indeed look like false lashes.

Ooh, I've got boots points so might try it.

I loved bad gal (particularly the brush) but it really does smudge and is no good if you're a cryer.

Ooh, I've got boots points so might try it.

I loved bad gal (particularly the brush) but it really does smudge and is no good if you're a cryer.
well, i dunno how it stands up to crying, but I wore it from 7am friday until about 2pm today ( :oops: ) and it didn't smudge. I found Bad Gal never actually seemed to dry properly, iykwim.

I bought some too but I threw it away. Don't you find it makes your pillow messy if you use it at night?
I don't use it at night; either a drop is put on each fingertip and then more or less run through my hair (concentrating on the ends at first), or I drizzle a few drops over the bristles of a clean boar bristle brush and then use that to distribute the oil. Then again, I've got thick and fine hair which guzzles conditioner.

Back
Top Bottom