Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beauty products that actually work

I don't use it at night; either a drop is put on each fingertip and then more or less run through my hair (concentrating on the ends at first), or I drizzle a few drops over the bristles of a clean boar bristle brush and then use that to distribute the oil. Then again, I've got thick and fine hair which guzzles conditioner.

Mine is very fine and quite short at the moment, so it was making it a bit greasy.

I've bought some organic aloe vera gel. Is it good for spots/blackheads, or just dry skin?
know its bloody excellent for sunburn, so maybe that may mean dryness. Witchazel/tea tree is excellent for spots (and mosquito/midge bites).

This thread's been quiet.
I tried one like that on the skin between my eyebrows, and it absolutely killed. I went back to tweezers. :)
I think it did work though, it just bloody hurt.

I'm allergic to a lot of perfumed cosmetics -used to love Clinique stuff but can no longer afford it. My budget is more supermarket than department store these days.

I'm always on the look out for suitable cheap hypo-allergenic (or at least mild/unperfumed) liquid face soap, some sort of occasional face scrub, everyday moisterising cream and undereye cream - any recommendations? I don't want to smell like a fruit bowl either.

FoD, do you want some Clinique (large trial size) facial soap? I don't use it but have a couple of freebies just stuck in the cupboard unused. Can bring to Gypsy Hill drinks tomorrow if you want.

Bumped while looking for the Holy Grail of mascara, long-lasting and volumising - it doesn't exist by the sound of it. I'll have to put up with long-lasting and not very noticeable for work or for long days, and lengthening but smudgy for evenings and hope I don't look like a panda before the night's out!

FoD, do you want some Clinique (large trial size) facial soap? I don't use it but have a couple of freebies just stuck in the cupboard unused. Can bring to Gypsy Hill drinks tomorrow if you want.

Bumped while looking for the Holy Grail of mascara, long-lasting and volumising - it doesn't exist by the sound of it. I'll have to put up with long-lasting and not very noticeable for work or for long days, and lengthening but smudgy for evenings and hope I don't look like a panda before the night's out!

That would be fantastic! I'm all out of the cheap shit stuff and my skin feels horrible - so I'd be really grateful. I really look forward to meeting you. I'll be the one with the hat on (probably red).

did you try the Benefit 'they're real' mascara? I don't find that too smudgy, and i previously faced the same quandry.

Argan oil. Bought some in Amsterdam. At first I didn't like it and gave up on it as it was making my hair (which is thin, oily at the roots and dry and tangled in the middle and at the ends) even greasier than usual. Then I changed my method. I put it on at night, liberally, through the lengths of my hair. In the morning I shower as normal, making sure I use plenty of shampoo. The condition of my hair seems to be improving, which is a wonderful thing, as I had been considering getting it cut off into a bob. Hurray for argan oil!

Pure Argan oil is fantastic for skin too :)
I ran out of mine about 4 weeks ago and had the misfortune to have an allergic reaction to new makeup (bare minerals ready foundation...who'd have guessed).
Anyhoo, my skin turned into a dry, crinkly mess for about two weeks until I got to buy some pure argon oil.five nights later and my skin is smooth, soft and really feeling a lot better. I also use neem oil when my skin is exceptionally dry...it stinks so I mix a tiny amount with rose oil.....neem is amazing stuff...it's an anti inflammatory and antiseptic and it's the best moisturiser for hypoallergenic skin types and sensitive skin.
But do use it very sparingly...apart from the smell it's got medicinal properties so dont ingest it.

So after five days of Argan oil and two nights of neem and rose oil, my skin has gone from dry, flaky and sore to smooth and soft as a baby's bottom.

:)

Gotta love essential oils :)

Pure Argan oil is fantastic for skin too :)
I ran out of mine about 4 weeks ago and had the misfortune to have an allergic reaction to new makeup (bare minerals ready foundation...who'd have guessed).
Anyhoo, my skin turned into a dry, crinkly mess for about two weeks until I got to buy some pure argon oil.five nights later and my skin is smooth, soft and really feeling a lot better. I also use neem oil when my skin is exceptionally dry...it stinks so I mix a tiny amount with rose oil.....neem is amazing stuff...it's an anti inflammatory and antiseptic and it's the best moisturiser for hypoallergenic skin types and sensitive skin.
But do use it very sparingly...apart from the smell it's got medicinal properties so dont ingest it.

So after five days of Argan oil and two nights of neem and rose oil, my skin has gone from dry, flaky and sore to smooth and soft as a baby's bottom.

:)

Gotta love essential oils :)
I would use stronger terms that 'it's got medicinal properties so don't ingest it' - there is evidence to show that it is an abortifactant effect ( it was proven to prevent implantation in scientific studies on animals) and also evidence that it causes liver damage in children. That's serious side effects.

I would use stronger terms that 'it's got medicinal properties so don't ingest it' - there is evidence to show that it is an abortifactant effect ( it was proven to prevent implantation in scientific studies on animals) and also evidence that it causes liver damage in children. That's serious side effects.

When ingested....in significant quantities. ..
I did specify using it on my skin in small quantities.
Topically it is fine.

my mascara?!

It's also a pesticide. I'm not sure I'd put a pesticide on my skin no matter how soft it makes it.

"

Neem Tree has been described in Ayurveda’s prime text, the Charaka Samhita, as sarva roga nivarini (that which keeps all diseases at bay) or arishtha (reliever of disease). Its extracts have been used in the Ayurvedic tradition for thousands of years for maintaining health and overall well-being. The roots, bark, gum, leaves, fruit, seed kernels and seed oil are all used in therapeutic preparations for both internal and topical use.

1. Neem, a tree native to India, is a vital ingredient in Ayurveda. Regarded as a ‘one tree pharmacy’, the Neem tree has several medicinal uses and forms an integral part of home remedies for the hair and skin.

2. Neem leaf has antifungal and antibacterial properties, making it effective in treating dandruff.

3. It also relieves dryness and itching, strengthens hair and promotes hair growth.

4. Traditionally, neem paste has been used to condition the hair and scalp.

5. It also soothes irritation, prevents dryness and flaking.

6. Neem is mentioned in most Ayurvedic formulations for the treatment of skin disorders because of its detoxifying properties.

7. The growth of acne-causing bacteria such as propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes) and staphylococcus epidermidis is also inhibited by neem.

8. The role of neem in acne is further supported by studies which have shown that it exhibits anti-inflammatory activity by suppressing P. acnes-induced reactive oxygen species (ROS) and the pro-inflammatory cytokines TNF-a and IL-8.

9. Neem oil and neem leaves are excellent skin care ingredients. The oil relieves dry skin and soothes itchiness, redness and irritation.

10. It also improves general skin health and immunity, combating bacterial infections such as acne, boils and ulcers.

11. Its antimicrobial properties help heal wounds without causing any infections or septic conditions.

12. For acne, neem tackles bacteria from the root and prevents the recurrence of pimples and blemishes.

13. It is especially beneficial for skin disorders like eczema and minor skin infections. Neem leaves also eliminate acne-causing bacteria.

14. It is also a gastro protective element and effective in healing ulcers.

15. It contains high level of antioxidants that help protect skin from environmental damage and from aging.

16. Neem oil contains fatty acid and vitamin E that gets absorbed easily into the skin, it helps rejuvenate skin cells and restore elasticity.

17. It helps maintain a glowing skin and balance skin tone.

18. The high fatty-acid content in neem oil helps prevent and treat scars from acne.

19. Neem leaves are also excellent exfoliants; it tightens pores and removes impurities when used as a mask.

20. It is an excellent healer of skin fungal infections.

*Data Courtesy: Chandrika Mahendra, Senior Research Scientist, R & D, The Himalaya Drug Company "

And WebMD

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...iveIngredientId=577&activeIngredientName=NEEM

I guess I should have posted all information about neem oil. Its about as damaging in extremely high doses as an overdose of paracetamol. .... but it is used topically in very small quantities and mixed with a carrier oil.

The information is still incomplete as you have not posted any infromation about side effects. If you're going to post about something that people may not be familiar with, you should give them enough information to make an informed decision:

Neem appears to be safe for most adults, when taken by mouth for a short period of time. When neem is taken in large doses or for long periods of time, it might be UNSAFE. It might harm the kidneys and liver.

Special Precautions & Warnings:
Children: Neem is UNSAFE for children. Serious side effects in infants and small children can happen within hours after taking neem oil. These serious side effects include vomiting, diarrhea, drowsiness, blood disorders, seizures, loss of consciousness, coma, brain disorders, and death.

Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Neem oil and neem bark are UNSAFE to use during pregnancy. They can cause a miscarriage.

“Auto-immune diseases” such as multiple sclerosis (MS), lupus (systemic lupus erythematosus, SLE), rheumatoid arthritis (RA), or other conditions: Neem might cause the immune system to become more active, and this could increase the symptoms of auto-immune diseases. If you have one of these conditions, it’s best to avoid using neem.

Diabetes: There is some evidence that neem can lower blood sugar levels and might cause blood sugar to go too low. If you have diabetes and use neem, monitor your blood sugar carefully. It might be necessary to change the dose of your diabetes medication.

Reduced ability to have children (infertility): There is some evidence that neem can harm sperm. It might also reduce fertility in other ways. If you are trying to have children, avoid using neem.

Organ transplant: There is a concern that neem might decrease the effectiveness of medications that are used to prevent organ rejection. Do not use neem if you have had an organ transplant.

Surgery: Because neem might lower blood sugar levels, there is a concern that it might interfere with blood sugar control during and after surgery. Stop using neem at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.

Also, the WebMD page does not specify if these side effects are restricted to ingested neem oil, or are seen with topical application. People with auto-immune diseases and diabetes may wish to avoid completely.

The information is still incomplete as you have not posted any infromation about side effects. If you're going to post about something that people may not be familiar with, you should give them enough information to make an informed decision:

Neem appears to be safe for most adults, when taken by mouth for a short period of time. When neem is taken in large doses or for long periods of time, it might be UNSAFE. It might harm the kidneys and liver.

Special Precautions & Warnings:
Children: Neem is UNSAFE for children. Serious side effects in infants and small children can happen within hours after taking neem oil. These serious side effects include vomiting, diarrhea, drowsiness, blood disorders, seizures, loss of consciousness, coma, brain disorders, and death.

Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Neem oil and neem bark are UNSAFE to use during pregnancy. They can cause a miscarriage.

“Auto-immune diseases” such as multiple sclerosis (MS), lupus (systemic lupus erythematosus, SLE), rheumatoid arthritis (RA), or other conditions: Neem might cause the immune system to become more active, and this could increase the symptoms of auto-immune diseases. If you have one of these conditions, it’s best to avoid using neem.

Diabetes: There is some evidence that neem can lower blood sugar levels and might cause blood sugar to go too low. If you have diabetes and use neem, monitor your blood sugar carefully. It might be necessary to change the dose of your diabetes medication.

Reduced ability to have children (infertility): There is some evidence that neem can harm sperm. It might also reduce fertility in other ways. If you are trying to have children, avoid using neem.

Organ transplant: There is a concern that neem might decrease the effectiveness of medications that are used to prevent organ rejection. Do not use neem if you have had an organ transplant.

Surgery: Because neem might lower blood sugar levels, there is a concern that it might interfere with blood sugar control during and after surgery. Stop using neem at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.

Also, the WebMD page does not specify if these side effects are restricted to ingested neem oil, or are seen with topical application. People with auto-immune diseases and diabetes may wish to avoid completely.

Yes...I did put up the link for you to webmd which included side effects....
And you've quoted it...from webmd.
If you read it you will see it says

"Serious side effects in infants and small children can happen within hours after TAKING neem oil. These serious side effects include vomiting, diarrhea, drowsiness, blood disorders, seizures, loss of consciousness, coma, brain disorders, and death"

Nobody is advocating TAKING neem oil. Also there's a big difference between neem oil, neem leaf and neem bark.
I use neem oil in very small quantities (less than 1/4 teaspoon with 5 tablespoons of rose oil )as a carrier...and applied topically.

Yes...I did put up the link for you to webmd which included side effects....
And you've quoted it...from webmd.
If you read it you will see it says

"Serious side effects in infants and small children can happen within hours after TAKING neem oil. These serious side effects include vomiting, diarrhea, drowsiness, blood disorders, seizures, loss of consciousness, coma, brain disorders, and death"

Nobody is advocating TAKING neem oil. Also there's a big difference between neem oil, neem leaf and neem bark.
I use neem oil in very small quantities (less than 1/4 teaspoon with 5 tablespoons of rose oil )as a carrier...and applied topically.
You've only quoted the bit about children.

People with medical conditions need full information, especially if something may interact with medications, and it does not say whether or not those side effects apply ONLY for ingestion. In the absence of a statement that disruption to medication absolutely does not apply to topical application, it has to be assumed that it does to err on the side of caution and avoid consequences.

You've only quoted the bit about children.

People with medical conditions need full information, especially if something may interact with medications, and it does not say whether or not those side effects apply ONLY for ingestion. In the absence of a statement that disruption to medication absolutely does not apply to topical application, it has to be assumed that it does to err on the side of caution and avoid consequences.

If you'd read my previous post you would see that it provides a link to all the WebMD information on neem. The page includes links to side effects..indeed it's the very page you copied and pasted.
I have a very serious medical condition which is why I have moved away from makeup that contains parabens etc. I've been using Argan oil for years and neem (very sparingly ) for a few months. I think you have overreacted a bit...not surprisingly I suppose.
I sometimes have to take a panadol....have you read the side effects of panadol?

If you'd read my posts you'd see that I spoke about MY experiences using neem. I'm not advocating it for anyone else. I also DID include a web link to the medical web site WebMD which gives ALL information about medical uses and side egfects of neem.
It's up to individuals to research and talk to their doctor etc about anything they think is potwntially dangerous.
I'm not pushing neem on anyone...
By the way have you read all the ingredients in your makeup?
Might be worth a bit of research too.

Was it not you who recommended some mascara a couple of pages back? Sorry if I've confused you with someone else :oops:
Ah, no - I tried Sojourner's kind suggestion. And it would have been great for length and volume but for its pesky interaction with my contact lenses.

Back
Top Bottom