Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beauty products that actually work

i use stuff people buy for xmas and ting....got some good shea butter moisturiser, tend to use 'strong' cream at night and some bio oil in the morning. I believe serum is good, if you can afford it (which i cant) :oops::)

also find that eating avocados and a spoonful of cod liver oil a day keeps your complexion pretty clear.

during the day, even if i dont go out, i use a light foundation mousse by Rimmel or Maybelline. it really suits my skin, and makes me feel better about myself having (although faking it) good skin :)

Last edited:
Ooh new thing I've discovered is spray on vaseline body moisturiser - it's actually quite moisturising and much quicker and easier to use than stuff in a bottle/tub. Think it's only in Boots

It's a clear gel with a lemony smell - feels quite nice on your skin, not slimy. And when you look at some of the stuff in normal makeup etc, at least it's an organic product :)

Can anyone recommend a good cruelty-free tinted moisturiser? Now that I am going back to work ( :D ) I should probably invest in a few decent make up basics so I can cover up my morning death mask quickly and easily. Want to avoid animal-tested cosmetics from this year, as much as possible. Preferably snail-free also.

I hate shopping for foundation etc., trying to match skin tone is such a pain.

Can anyone recommend a good cruelty-free tinted moisturiser? Now that I am going back to work ( :D ) I should probably invest in a few decent make up basics so I can cover up my morning death mask quickly and easily. Want to avoid animal-tested cosmetics from this year, as much as possible. Preferably snail-free also.

it's not a tinted mosituriser, but it's lightweight and an absolute godsend: Lancome teint miracle. Not cheap, but you don't need much and like i say, it's all kinds of awesome.

Laura Mercier does the best tinted moisturiser. I use her radiance primer which is also great under foundation etc.. And she does the only eyeliners I've found which stay on all day.

I also use the Laura Mercier oil free tinted moisturiser and think it's good. blendable, nice shades, looks natural and lasts well. You can buy larger tubes of teh normal one which works out to be fairly cheap(so far as these things go) while you can't get the larger size for the oil free one which is a bit of a pisser

another vote for Laura Mercier. Getting colours right is easy- test it on your jawline and go and look at yourself in natural light. Funny lights on make up counters and testing it on the back of your hand are both prime causes of orange-kabuki-mask

I am working through this thread but does anyone have recommendations for good volumising shampoos and conditioners? My mil has got me a couple of different expensive (for me) ones to try and while they give good volume and are great at first they have both left a weird sticky residue on the roots of my hair underneath as if it is really greasy. After using for a few weeks my hair just doesn't feel clean and if I leave it a minute longer than 24 hours between washes it looks awful and greasy. Is they anything that gives volume without this nonsense?

I am working through this thread but does anyone have recommendations for good volumising shampoos and conditioners? My mil has got me a couple of different expensive (for me) ones to try and while they give good volume and are great at first they have both left a weird sticky residue on the roots of my hair underneath as if it is really greasy. After using for a few weeks my hair just doesn't feel clean and if I leave it a minute longer than 24 hours between washes it looks awful and greasy. Is they anything that gives volume without this nonsense?

I had the same problem (hair now getting drier due to age :eek:!).

I found the best thing was Pantene Pro-V followed by blowing it dry (the latter was a faff TBH and I didn't usually bother unless I was making a real effort :D).

Gliss 'ulimate volume shampoo - in the purple bottle, from poundland. My hairdresser noticed the difference it made. £1.

I'm allergic to a lot of perfumed cosmetics -used to love Clinique stuff but can no longer afford it. My budget is more supermarket than department store these days.

I'm always on the look out for suitable cheap hypo-allergenic (or at least mild/unperfumed) liquid face soap, some sort of occasional face scrub, everyday moisterising cream and undereye cream - any recommendations? I don't want to smell like a fruit bowl either.

I'm allergic to a lot of perfumed cosmetics -used to love Clinique stuff but can no longer afford it. My budget is more supermarket than department store these days.

I'm always on the look out for suitable cheap hypo-allergenic (or at least mild/unperfumed) liquid face soap, some sort of occasional face scrub, everyday moisterising cream and undereye cream - any recommendations? I don't want to smell like a fruit bowl either.

Have you tried the Simple range? I sometimes use the cleanser but take it off with a hot flannel rather than cotton wool.

another vote for Laura Mercier. Getting colours right is easy- test it on your jawline and go and look at yourself in natural light. Funny lights on make up counters and testing it on the back of your hand are both prime causes of orange-kabuki-mask

Oh, I know how to do it. It's just a pain :D

Have you tried aqueous cream for washing? have sensitive skin and I use it instead of soap for washing my face and it's fine. I use Nivea Light Daily Moisturing Cream, which you can usually get cheap in Savers (although it is not expensive anyway). This one:

http://shop.nivea.co.uk/daily-essentials-light-moisturising-day-cream-50ml.html

I use a T Zone facial scrub, from Poundland. The Boots Cucumber one is quite nice too.

Have you tried the Simple range? I sometimes use the cleanser but take it off with a hot flannel rather than cotton wool.
thanks for that - thought I'd found the ideal Simple product a couple of years ago then when I went to buy it again their was 5 very similar simple products for different skin types instead. very confusing, the ones I've tried since don't seem the same. Products change so quickly these day and ranges keep expending, its just too much for me to keep up with. There seems to be at least 5 of each type of product, costing £5+ for 'ageing' skin. I'm currently using the cheapest Simple moisuriser but it doesn't feel great. Is it worth paying more for the 'aged' ones (i'm 52) - are they any bettter?

I've got very sensitive skin and I find the Boots own brand cucumber cleanser is great for me. They do an eye gel and scrub as well and they're very cheap.

Have you tried aqueous cream for washing? have sensitive skin and I use it instead of soap for washing my face and it's fine. I use Nivea Light Daily Moisturing Cream, which you can usually get cheap in Savers (although it is not expensive anyway). This one:

http://shop.nivea.co.uk/daily-essentials-light-moisturising-day-cream-50ml.html

I use a T Zone facial scrub, from Poundland. The Boots Cucumber one is quite nice too.

I'll give them a try - thanks.

On the recommendation of a friend who is studying this kind of thing I have switched to using jojoba oil instead of moisturizer. I became less spotty and greasy and started looking better from the first time I used it.

Back
Top Bottom